Why become a member? ×

Calling owners of basses with a pickup *close* to the neck

Ancient Mariner

Don't really know but I talked about this with Martin Sims when he was building his basses with a multipickup design and not one was placed near the neck.
He got all range of sounds from P-bass-to Jazz to various MM types so I am at odds to what useabable sound you could get
The point being that the sounds of all those bass is pretty critical with the pup placement which is why a jazz can't get a P-bass sound
as the pup is in the wrong place ect ect ...
It may get close, but there are degrees of cigar, IMV.

Not a lot of help really....but I'd expect it to be pretty bassy without any character

just my 2p.

You should check MM Bongo and Big Al, both very close. Have a Bongo myself and sometimes it gets on the way when slapping... There´s a Youtube video of a Big Al demonstration by Ed Friedland, check the sounds here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTv0dHtHHbI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTv0dHtHHbI[/url]

The old Rickenbackers have a pickup approx 1" from the back of the 20th fret (as it's approx 1/2" from the end of the neck it's referred to as 1/2" spacing). New ones will have it about 1/2" further towards the bridge (known as 1" spacing). I find the sound of my neck "toaster" pickup is pretty crucial to my preferred Ric sound.

Billy Sheehan has true "neck" pickups in all his basses (his old Fender and his Yamahas) and I believe Nicky Wire's old Fenders had a proper "neck" pickup in there too. I've often thought if I had a P I'd do the same. Of course then there are all those 60s basses....

As for it sounding "bassy without any character", well I guess that's a matter of opinion. Chris Squire often plays on his neck pickup and I wouldn't describe him like that. Of course I'm not a huge fan of a J bridge pickup which I generally find too nasal (certainly when I use it) so horses for course and all that.

Edited by 4000

Lakland Decade:

I roughly measured mine (and can measure more accurately if you want):

Bridge to centre of neck pickup = 23cm
20th fret to centre of neck pickup = 4.75cm
End of neck to neck side edge of pickup = 1cm (this is to allow access to the truss rod wheel)

On the Lakland Hollowbody the neck pickup is even closer to the neck (as the truss rod adjustment is at the head, so no truss rod wheel):

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1187155' date='Apr 3 2011, 10:06 PM']Thanks for this. I'm considering bunging a lipstick (guitar) pickup in that Ryder P that I got a coupe of weeks back, but wasn't sure how it would sound. Still thinking about it, but any routing could be easily hidden with a new PG if it didn't work out.[/quote]
The Lakland Scheff (now discontinued) has a lipstick close to the neck:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1187157' date='Apr 3 2011, 10:06 PM']Dub reggae for a start. :)[/quote]

maybe... but then that falls into the bassy and no character camp, IMO. but you don't need a pup there for that sound either

So, yes, not a fan of that position at all as you might have guessed but if the OP thinks he can carry it off, then no worries on my part.

On my home built bass I have a single coil Kent Armstrong toaster pickup up by the end of the neck. It's a 24th fret neck though, so the centre of the pickup is about 18cm from the bridge saddles. It has slightly deeper bottom end than a typical Jazz neck pickup, but has plenty of highs and articulation. If you click on the Jen & the Gents link in my sig, you can hear it on "Disappear" and "Can't look back". I reckon as long as you have a sufficiently clear sounding pickup, it won't sound muddy.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1186985' date='Apr 3 2011, 07:21 PM']

Might as well sell this, then, seeing as it sounds really bassy with no character.
Except it isn't overly so, and has bags of character.[/quote]

Awww, got excited at the first line!

I want a few more Attitudes in my life before i kick the bucket!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1187210' date='Apr 3 2011, 10:42 PM']maybe... but then that falls into the bassy and no character camp, IMO. but you don't need a pup there for that sound either

So, yes, not a fan of that position at all as you might have guessed but if the OP thinks he can carry it off, then no worries on my part.[/quote]
'Bassy and no character' sounds oxymoronic to me.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1187155' date='Apr 3 2011, 09:06 PM']Thanks for this. I'm considering bunging a lipstick (guitar) pickup in that Ryder P that I got a coupe of weeks back, but wasn't sure how it would sound. Still thinking about it, but any routing could be easily hidden with a new PG if it didn't work out.[/quote]
I did a similar thing with my Squier P.

I kinda messed the install up, routed the hole too big, couldnt adjust it properly, and it got in the way of slapping. Sounded good with finger mode. I ended up taking it out, selling it, and replaced my battered PG. Now it looks like this

Actually, I would've thought that if few basses have a neck pickup that's really close to the neck then one that has should have [i]more[/i] character, in the sense of a more unique character, if anything. Just my personal take.

I've often wondered about pickup positions. Especially when people talk about the "sweet spot" for a Stingray or similar.

Surely all this changes as soon as a fretted note is played? The higher up the neck you play the more the effect is.

Am I missing something?

Frank.