Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic gear...

Jigster

[quote it's such good quality -

me confused :)
[/quote]

I think this forum has alot to do with it, this is a great place to get advice. So many Gas quenching bargains come up for sale, hence the reason I have had six different amps and prob the same amount of trades/sales on basses in the last 12 months.

I have now settled for the RH450 because it is great very versitile with very practical usable features, as you say very solid build quality.

It's the fault of BassChat as a forum. No one ever suffers from G.A.S until they join up - then they wanna change their gear every five seconds! :) Nothing wrong with the gear at all. Man, are we fickle??? I've gone through so much gear since Bassworld forum v.1!!!

[quote name='patch006' post='1183570' date='Mar 31 2011, 05:12 PM'][quote it's such good quality -

me confused :)

I think this forum has alot to do with it, this is a great place to get advice. So many Gas quenching bargains come up for sale, hence the reason I have had six different amps and prob the same amount of trades/sales on basses in the last 12 months.

I have now settled for the RH450 because it is great very versitile with very practical usable features, as you say very solid build quality.[/quote]

Ha ha ha!!! We posted pretty much the same response within minutes of each other!!

I've just sold my RH 450, and Patch, your RC4 will be in the post first thing

These amps are wonderful, i've throughly enjoyed having it, great features, my reasons for selling are not because of anything I dislike about the amp

Re: GAS, yes the forum does fuel it, but then again, years back without the internet, it was harder to buy and sell second hand, now you can own a bass and pass it on, without to much loss, I effectively just rented a jazz bass for year :)

Edited by lojo

I think I`m going to stick with my TC Classic 450. The only thing that may change my mind is the Ampeg PF500, but am going to wait a while, for a few reviews to come out, then if I`m still interested, wait for the - forgive my pessimism - initial faults to be identified, and corrected, so pick one up from a later batch.

Got to say though, the Classic 450 is a great amp - will take a lot for me to get rid, it can do so much, and is so portable, really makes life easy.

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='1183953' date='Mar 31 2011, 09:28 PM']Seems to me like flavour of the month. It was Markbass at one point and now it's TC[/quote]

Im waiting for my Terror to turn up, am I ahead of my time or living in the 70s ? :)

[quote name='4 candles' post='1183992' date='Mar 31 2011, 09:56 PM']sold mine. very low output[/quote]

If you mean the rh450 you must be kidding. As many can testify (including an unfortunate lightbulb) from the eq bassbash it has tonnes of volume

Yes, I think it has been a flavour of the month thing. I was very impressed when I first tried the gear and if I were looking for a head+cab combo and I couldn't afford something fantastic I'd quite happily go with TC Electronic. However, I soon bought an Ashdown MK500 Mark King combo which was quite frankly better than the TC Electronic stuff in every respect. I suppose it was the fact I'd played Trace Elliot exclusively for about 5 years that made me feel so astounded when I tried something new and light.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1184123' date='Mar 31 2011, 11:47 PM']I tried an RS210 cab and didn't like it. I found it to be very bright and quite aggressive sounding, though I guess that it may work better with an RH450 which has an upper treble roll off.

Have they removed the roll off with the newer RH750 ?[/quote]

The RH750 has the Tweetertone function which allows the 450 treble roll off or full on modern hi fi ping! Everything in-between as well.

[quote name='4 candles' post='1183992' date='Mar 31 2011, 09:56 PM']sold mine. very low output[/quote]

This is what worried me about them. Not that I've tried one.

But I like plenty of volume. I'm comfortable with 600W of reliable mosfet with a nice chunky transformer. I don't really mind it weighing 15kg.

I've pretty much bust or had repaired every poweramp I've ever had apart from valve stuff and my current C-Audio. Always after turning them up to 11.

My Marshall JCM800 was too quiet. :)

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1184186' date='Apr 1 2011, 02:02 AM']This is what worried me about them. Not that I've tried one.

But I like plenty of volume. I'm comfortable with 600W of reliable mosfet with a nice chunky transformer. I don't really mind it weighing 15kg.

I've pretty much bust or had repaired every poweramp I've ever had apart from valve stuff and my current C-Audio. Always after turning them up to 11.

My Marshall JCM800 was too quiet. :)[/quote]

What sort of venues have you played where that's both plausible and what was required to have the power amp flat out? That's not a dig I'm serious and curious, The biggest venues I have played at would either be through the PA aswell as my rig where most of the time the sound guy has had to tell me to turn down my rig as it's too loud from centre stage for the audiences point of view balance wise or when used outside at festivals where it would either be dIed again or even as a backline at a smaller affair where amps always sound good and have even more perceived volume than inside. My ABM before the Genz and the Genz have never been over about half on the master outputs ever so I just can't think of a venue other than maybe a 10'000 + seater where you could run a big amp flat out even then you would have extra monitoring anyway? Ta

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Jigster' post='1183547' date='Mar 31 2011, 04:55 PM']There's a lot on the move on the forum this week - by many many other accounts and my own, it's such good quality -

me confused :)[/quote]

Once you start on the slippery slope that is GAS you will likely never achieve tone nirvana. Too many people think that the "tone in their head" resides within a certain box of components and elastic trickery. Or a certain combination of drivers in a box constructed from a certain type and thickness of wood...

It's bollocks frankly. By all means buy the gear that pleases you, for whatever reason. Whether it be cutting-edge, antique or retro-stylee - buy it coz you like it and want it. Don't try to convince yourself that it will automatically make you a better player or even sound better.

Still - it means that those of us with less disposable income can try an amp that everyone was raving about 18 months ago, for close to half of the market price! That's gotta be good!

BTW, there's also a lot of Trace gear for sale at the moment, and nobody comments about that! N o love for green at the moment? :)

Edited by Conan

I still can't believe anyone can describe a TC head as "very low output" - was it plugged into 64 ohm speakers? Mine's louder than my LMIII, and that was loud.

Louder than a loud thing, it doesn't get any louder than that... :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1184232' date='Apr 1 2011, 08:23 AM']I still can't believe anyone can describe a TC head as "very low output" - was it plugged into 64 ohm speakers? Mine's louder than my LMIII, and that was loud.

Louder than a loud thing, it doesn't get any louder than that... :)[/quote]
This is what I dont really get is more really more? Thats why I didnt buy a shuttle 9.0 as I could tell the 6.0 would never need to go any where near full. Whats the point of having more power from a 9.0 if I dont use all of the 6.0 ever? Maybe if I was buying second hand now and it was priced right but if I needed to run it flatout all the time even me as a class D fan would swap back to a big amp again anyway. (hopefully if I was playing them gigs all the time someone else would be carrying it anyway)

[quote name='4 candles' post='1183992' date='Mar 31 2011, 08:56 PM']sold mine. very low output[/quote]
You did check the preset volumes, didn't you?

If they're set low it would give the impression of low output. Resetting them to factory defaults would have sorted that.

I sold mine because... it didn't knock my socks off, but then neither had any amp I've owned for the last five or six years. Whatever it is I was looking for (I can't really quantify it), the Streamliner has it.

Many people are happy with their RH450s, though.

[quote name='charic' post='1184011' date='Mar 31 2011, 10:11 PM']If you mean the rh450 you must be kidding. As many can testify (including an unfortunate lightbulb) from the eq bassbash it has tonnes of volume[/quote]

It was me who blew up a lightbulb with it!!! lol

It certainly has the power, and that was only ONE 2x10 cab being used :)

I was highly impressed, I do very much like it when things are destroyed by bass