Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic gear...

Jigster

Its not a fad for me either, the TC rig I have is perfect for my needs. After a nasty bout of sciatica last year, the Trace rig had to go. The TC stuff I tried sounded great, albeit very different from the TE. The cabs are manageable weight and the amp is a breeze to carry to gigs.

As for volume, I just use the smaller 210 for rehearsals, which at times do get very loud, but the RH450 is never past 2/3rds.

When the amp is running both cabs, its easily loud enough.

Highly recommended.

Edited by neilb

A couple of people I know use TC gear and I was very impressed with their sound.
In recent years I've been through Trace, Ashdown and most recently Aguilar cabs but wasn't 100% happy with any of them.
After a few conversations at the bass show and a subsequent proper demo at the bass merchant, I was sold and
I've now got a 2x12 and the 2x10 will be on it's way soon.
For me it's a case of them being around at the time i was looking for something light, powerful and could produce the sound I was looking for without breaking the bank.

All I'm waiting for now is for the 750 to come out and the 450 dropping in price as a result!

I certainly don't think I'm jumping on a band wagon or getting GAS for something just because it's prominent in the marketplace, I'm not that trendy! One look at the way I dress would illustrate that!

[quote name='Stag' post='1184277' date='Apr 1 2011, 09:20 AM']It was me who blew up a lightbulb with it!!! lol
I do very much like it when things are destroyed by bass[/quote]

Brilliant :)

I'm going to have to start the organising for the next bash soon(ish) I've got a few extras I want to throw into the pot.

If I'm gigging by then I'll probably have a second cab too. Hmm... anoth 2x10 of just go straight for the 4x10 :)

I've had the TC RH450 & RS210 since last May, I bought them to replace my GK1001RBII & RBH410 which I loved but wasn't the most practical amp/cab combo when you drive a Pug 206 & live in a first floor flat.

I'd decided on going for the Aguilar AG500SC with a couple of 1x12's, and went down to Bass Merchant in Colchester to chat to Darren about it, he'd got the TC stuff in and before I knew it I was home with it.

At the end of the day, I pay for my gear and my pockets can't stretch too deep these days, I think it's about balancing what's cost effective, what you want & what is practicable and for me the TC stuff does that - It's a lot easier for me to take my RH450 in it's gig bag to a gig than to lug a rackmounted 1001RBII, rack compressor & rack tuner, and the difference in cab size means I can fit a guitarist & his gear in the pug as well as myself and my gear.

In terms of volume it hasn't struggled at all, got a couple funny looks when it first showed up at practice, but the 2x10 doesn't struggle to keep up with the guitar or the drums and it's not being pushed. It's DI'ed at larger shows & I'm more comfortable with the tone it produces DI'ed than I was with my GK head, engineers love it and the gear & tone gets tons of compliments from punters after gigs.

Took it to The Mill studio last month and didn't even contemplate using the Mesa head the engineer offered, the RH450 is my tone. (Recorded everything on my Bongo, but came close to using the studios Alembic Orion - Just so I could say I recorded with an Alembic).

My use of pedals has gone down since I got the TC rig too, and I wasn't unhappy with the GK tone I had before it.

We're playing a couple of festivals over the summer and I'd quite like to have another cab sorted by then, but I won't be too worried if I don't.

In summary - It's not flavour of the month for me, the gear does everything it says on the tin & I'm very happy with it. The built in compressor & tuner is a huge bonus & now that I'm used to it I don't think I'd like the inconvenience of not having it. I guess it's like the iPhone, Pioneering and when it came out there was nothing else close, 4 years on and the competitors have caught up, it's not for everyone but it is for me.

Just a comment re the volume of the TC amps. I had mine plugged into an Ampeg 4x10 & 210, each about 97db sensitivity (so not over loud cabs), therefore using the full 450 watts at 4 ohms.

In a punk band (Pistols/Clash etc) at a pub gig, capacity 100ish, the amp was on between 3 & 4, and if I`d gone up to 5, it would have been so overloud, in comparison to the rest of the band. Can`t possibly see how I would ever need anything louder than this - if playing bigger venues/stages there would be FOH to go through.

Whilst I`m sure there are louder amps about (Orange Terror springs to mind, from experience) to me, its power that is unlikely to be used, certainly by me anyway.

And TC does a great Ampeg impression :)

This seems to be quite loud :-) RH450 with 2 x EBS Proline 410's.. Although perhaps I've not quite grasped the lightweight side of things :-) Reminds me of the mouse/elephant sha**ing joke... :-0

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1184392' date='Apr 1 2011, 10:45 AM']Just a comment re the volume of the TC amps. I had mine plugged into an Ampeg 4x10 & 210, each about 97db sensitivity (so not over loud cabs), therefore using the full 450 watts at 4 ohms.

In a punk band (Pistols/Clash etc) at a pub gig, capacity 100ish, the amp was on between 3 & 4, and if I`d gone up to 5, it would have been so overloud, in comparison to the rest of the band. Can`t possibly see how I would ever need anything louder than this - if playing bigger venues/stages there would be FOH to go through.

Whilst I`m sure there are louder amps about (Orange Terror springs to mind, from experience) to me, its power that is unlikely to be used, certainly by me anyway.

And TC does a great Ampeg impression :)[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1184392' date='Apr 1 2011, 10:45 AM']Just a comment re the volume of the TC amps. I had mine plugged into an Ampeg 4x10 & 210, each about 97db sensitivity (so not over loud cabs), therefore using the full 450 watts at 4 ohms.

In a punk band (Pistols/Clash etc) at a pub gig, capacity 100ish, the amp was on between 3 & 4, and if I`d gone up to 5, it would have been so overloud, in comparison to the rest of the band. Can`t possibly see how I would ever need anything louder than this - if playing bigger venues/stages there would be FOH to go through.[/quote]
This is what Im thinking, I havent heard any of the small 500w+ amps that couldnt be used in any situation yet.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1184219' date='Apr 1 2011, 08:02 AM']What sort of venues have you played where that's both plausible and what was required to have the power amp flat out? That's not a dig I'm serious and curious, The biggest venues I have played at would either be through the PA aswell as my rig where most of the time the sound guy has had to tell me to turn down my rig as it's too loud from centre stage for the audiences point of view balance wise or when used outside at festivals where it would either be dIed again or even as a backline at a smaller affair where amps always sound good and have even more perceived volume than inside. My ABM before the Genz and the Genz have never been over about half on the master outputs ever so I just can't think of a venue other than maybe a 10'000 + seater where you could run a big amp flat out even then you would have extra monitoring anyway? Ta[/quote]

I wouldn't dream of running my rig flat out and EQ'd to sound LOUD.

A decent amount of some EQ settings though, especially if I'm turning the gain down on my preamp to get a cleaner tone, and the tone knob turned down on my bass, and I quite like the full 600W sometimes. Even in a relatively small venue.

It's not like I'd be whacking at the strings with a pick either :)

And I use flats. And passive basses.

I've played to 150 people or so with a 100W amp a few times - I know it's possible - but more headroom means I can EQ to sound like how I want to sound like rather than EQ to cut through.

Edited by bigjohn

I use the 212 and 210 in conjunction with a Little Mark II head. Unbelievable output - my guitarist has had meltdown about it :)

They are clear sounding cabs so i understand those that are used to having their sound coloured (or soiled as i like to say) by a particular brand might struggle with this. I can't imagine going back down the 4 x 10 route although psychologically i am feeling underdressed without a 1 x 15.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1184574' date='Apr 1 2011, 12:28 PM']I wouldn't dream of running my rig flat out and EQ'd to sound LOUD.

A decent amount of some EQ settings though, especially if I'm turning the gain down on my preamp to get a cleaner tone, and the tone knob turned down on my bass, and I quite like the full 600W sometimes. Even in a relatively small venue.

It's not like I'd be whacking at the strings with a pick either :)

And I use flats. And passive basses.

I've played to 150 people or so with a 100W amp a few times - I know it's possible - but more headroom means I can EQ to sound like how I want to sound like rather than EQ to cut through.[/quote]
I see what your saying then, Im a ham fisted get probably from years of playing with too small a rig.

For me the point about larger amps, 900 watts as opposed to 500 watt amps isn't the volume, it's about the tone.

In SS amps the extra power you get from larger power sections of more powerful amps gives the tone an authority and "fullness" that you don't get with smaller power amps. My Thunderfunk TF550 sounds great but the TF750 sounds even better at the same volume. The reason according to Dave Funk is that the power amp is 50% larger.

I don't know if this is the case in digital power amps but if it is I'll be comparing the RH750 against the GB 900 Streamliner and any other powerful lightweight amp with interest.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='charic' post='1184337' date='Apr 1 2011, 10:14 AM']Brilliant :)

I'm going to have to start the organising for the next bash soon(ish) I've got a few extras I want to throw into the pot.

If I'm gigging by then I'll probably have a second cab too. Hmm... anoth 2x10 of just go straight for the 4x10 :)[/quote]

If I make it to the next one I'll bring my RS212 - try connecting those up together!

A back problem plus enforced change of transport dictated I move to smaller gear. I bought neilb's Trace off him last year and he mentioned at the time he was taken with the TC stuff so when it came for me to change I looked at that, the Orange, Markbass and the Shuttles. It was the closest to the 'tone in my head' that I could find so I went with it, though I'm sure in future something smaller and better sounding will come around - that's life!

As far as power goes, there's plenty in the RH450 for me. I guess if you're absolutely set on playing without any PA support when others are going through it then maybe it's not loud enough but in any other situation I'd be worried about your ears bleeding!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1184626' date='Apr 1 2011, 12:53 PM']For me the point about larger amps, 900 watts as opposed to 500 watt amps isn't the volume, it's about the tone.[/quote]
True, but i have played some very large spaces and not had to turn the master past half-way with 500 watts @ 4ohms. At this level the tone is high quality and fully adjustable broad and deep. I can't imagine needing 900 watts.

[quote name='charic' post='1184011' date='Mar 31 2011, 10:11 PM']If you mean the rh450 you must be kidding. As many can testify (including an unfortunate lightbulb) from the eq bassbash it has tonnes of volume[/quote]

I believe Charic's rh450 and 2x10 almost kept up with my SVT 4 and 6x10 (although I was running the SVT from only one power amp :) ) at last years SE Bass Bash.

Good Gear that TC stuff!

[quote name='markstuk' post='1184401' date='Apr 1 2011, 10:57 AM']This seems to be quite loud :-) RH450 with 2 x EBS Proline 410's.. Although perhaps I've not quite grasped the lightweight side of things :-) Reminds me of the mouse/elephant sha**ing joke... :-0[/quote]

DOOM! lol

Bit confused though. What's the minimum impedence on the RH450? Is it 4 or 2 Ohms? The reason I ask is that the EBS Prolines I've got are both 4 Ohms because the EBS heads go down to a minimum 2 Ohm load.

Cheers
T

[quote name='Kraken' post='1184690' date='Apr 1 2011, 01:36 PM']I believe Charic's rh450 and 2x10 almost kept up with my SVT 4 and 6x10 (although I was running the SVT from only one power amp :) ) at last years SE Bass Bash.

Good Gear that TC stuff![/quote]

That was quite good fun :lol: we managed to get the sound quite similar too :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1184612' date='Apr 1 2011, 12:43 PM']I see what your saying then, [b]Im a ham fisted get probably from years of playing with too small a rig[/b].[/quote]

I didn't say that! :)

We play too loud really. We can be quite dynamic, but often we start off or play the[i] less loud[/i] parts too loud - which means we play the louder bits too loud - not that we get complaints, we just get described as loud! We've also got two guitarists, one of which uses a fair bit of bass of in their sound, which forces me to delve a little lower in frequencies than I might do otherwise. I like it, but I wouldn't bother if I didn't have too. I use a dual compressor / limiter to do that which again means I need a bit more power sometimes as I cut out some higher mids which would normally be present.

I'm sure I could do a similar thing with an RH450 - but what I'm not sure about is if I'd be looking for a bit more power. 600W seems be about my sweet spot. The thought of 750 gives me the horn a bit. But then I wonder if it's a grass and greener thing.