Why become a member? ×

Does anyone else avoid open strings?

gub

I have only recently realised but i must of ben doing it for years ,if there is an open string note in a bassline i will make it into a freted note somewhere else ,just wondered if anyone else does the same ? prob bad technique as sometimes it means more of a fiddle to get to it .

[quote name='gub' post='1178216' date='Mar 27 2011, 01:08 PM']I have only recently realised but i must of ben doing it for years ,if there is an open string note in a bassline i will make it into a freted note somewhere else ,just wondered if anyone else does the same ? prob bad technique as sometimes it means more of a fiddle to get to it .[/quote]

On EB, yes, I've always done it because you get more control over the tone, volume and sustain of the note of you fret it than if you play open. Since moving to fretless and DB I've had to learn to use open notes to check tuning

[quote name='Beedster' post='1178220' date='Mar 27 2011, 01:11 PM']On EB, yes, I've always done it because you get more control over the tone, volume and sustain of the note of you fret it than if you play open. Since moving to fretless and DB I've had to learn to use open notes to check tuning[/quote]

+1

Apart from reading gigs because it tends to be easier (for thinking and playing) to let positioning dictate where to play the notes.

Depends completely on what the bassline is. I'll play the note where ever it sounds best.

Sometimes the difference in tone between the fretted and open note can work as an effect, also some of the basslines I play use open/drone strings against fretted melody played on another string.

I'd guess that the biggest problem that some people have is trying to get control back over a string vibrating over the entire length of the neck.

Some things work with open strings, some things not so well.

I just play whatever's the nearest provided it will work tonally.
It's a judgment call based on planning ahead.

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1178264' date='Mar 27 2011, 01:43 PM']+1
Also when the vocalist wants his mike turned up!! :)[/quote]

Yeah, mike is always trying to be heard. All the bliddy TIM! :)

Edited by skej21

Purely as a pop and rock song covers guy, I play them where they work nicely

Sometimes they sound wrong compared to a fretted note, and other times they fit nicely

Usually they work well when its one odd note in a pattern, but never for repeated 8ths or the like, there is no control over damping like you have on the fret board

Low E of course has to be used often, A less often, D & G rarely

Edit, they are handy if you wish to pick your nose during a song or tweak something :)

Edited by lojo

[quote name='tombboy' post='1178240' date='Mar 27 2011, 01:25 PM']I actually quite like the tonality of an open A string when you're riding along, especially with a fresh set. Always fret D & G's though for some reason.[/quote]

+1, the open A on my Pedulla is so powerful and defined compared to fretting it on E

Only open E consistantly because on a 4 string bass if I want to play a low E I don't have any other choice. playing open strings can be easier if you're playing in E,A,D,G as you can stay down the low end of the fretboard and there's less stretching across frets but damping open strings is something you have to be careful of and there is a marked difference in tone between fretted and open notes. I avoid it if I can as I have more control over a fretted note. I do notice that guitarists use a lot of open strings though especially in blues and country style riffs. It sounds good on guitar but not so great when played on bass.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1178220' date='Mar 27 2011, 01:11 PM']On EB, yes, I've always done it because you get more control over the tone, volume and sustain of the note of you fret it than if you play open. Since moving to fretless and DB I've had to learn to use open notes to check tuning[/quote]

+1 to all of this

Here's the last thread on this topic: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=65071&hl=OPEN%20STRINGS&st=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...RINGS&st=20[/url]

I said then and I stand by it now:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='641253' date='Oct 30 2009, 05:10 PM']I use them whenever I can - especially playing fretless, when they are the notes you know should be in tune, or when changing left hand position to gain a bit of time.[/quote]