Why become a member? ×

Top 5 basses to play before you die!

ThomBassmonkey

I browsed BGM in WHSmith, specifically to look at this article. My eyes fell on the Vigier section (was it #48?) for the Excess. Nothing against Excesses, but the Arpege and Passion are more original. According to BGM they;
1) Do the Excess with a Delta Metal 'board in fretless
2) Do the Excess with a Delta Metal 'board in fretted.

Both of which are news to me, although I haven't checked the Vigier site recently...
Then I flicked through to see what was in 1st. And lost the will to live.
Is a Ricky what we all really most want to play before we die?

In summary, there's more point to this thread than the article, and I'll warrant that it's more varied and better informed, too.
Nice idea, but it was overpopulated with basses that would fall into one of 4 categories for most of the members on here;

1) I've got one of those
2) I've had one of those
3) I Know a BCer who could let me try one of those
4) I have no interest in one of those whatsoever!

Obvious exceptions being stuff like Ritters and BassLab etc. Fender, EBMM, Ricky and the other major manufacturers' mainstream output may be worthy of being played, but most of us could at least try one (at a Bash?!) before we croaked.
They'd be better off having a monthly collumn hosted by Big Red X on a bass you'd never heard of and why it was worthy of interest...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1178567' date='Mar 27 2011, 06:40 PM']They'd be better off having a monthly collumn hosted by Big Red X on a bass you'd never heard of and why it was worthy of interest...[/quote]
*Blushes*

Although if it meant being able to try all those basses I've featured in my Weird and Wonderful thread but hadn't been able to have a go on yet then I certainly wouldn't say no...

I'd like one of the fan fretted basses and a nice big Double Bass.

The rest don't bother me that much lol :)

I would of course buy a huge collection if I had the money but as I don't I am quite happy with what I have.

Oh go on then, I'll have a Ricky 4003 just to keep up with the rest :)

I can't Believe they listed a Rickenbacker as the #1 choice. Aside from having a relatively fast neck I couldn't find much remarkable about them. It's just lazy journalism, especially when there are so many amazing basses around.
Especially since I'm planning on buying another bass now!

Edited by Chris2112

In order of preference...

1. 1978 Fender Precision
Preferably in black with the black scratchplate. Only played one old Fender and I really quite liked it (shocked myself) so I quite fancy the idea of getting one from the year I was born.

2. Ritter Raptor
Just curious if I'd actually get on with one of these hideously priced, pretentious things. They are cool though.

3. Warwick Infinity NT
By no means an unachievable goal... but I haven't yet touched one and I'd love to have a go.

[s]4. Esh Stinger[/s]
Would have been number 4 but now scratched from the list because I just got one. :)

5. Peavey Project Bass
Yep... one day I'd like to actually finish the project I started last year and play the damn thing.

[quote name='simon1964' post='1177161' date='Mar 26 2011, 01:56 PM']Updated with reasons!

1 Rickenbacker 4003 - because they're cool!
2 An old Precision - because they started it all
3 A good Stingray - because they're the most comfortable bass I've played
4 Steinberger cricket bat - because they're completely different to anything else
5 Something with a graphite neck - because I've never actually tried one but would like to![/quote]

I like the look of this list, not to specific and covers a lot of ground. Might I propose that either 2 or 3 be exchanged for "the best boutique bass you can get your friends to let you try" just to see what that segment of the bass building community has to offer?

[quote name='dan670844' post='1177168' date='Mar 26 2011, 02:03 PM']1. Torzal twist bass very cool
2. Gibson EB just cos i have never tried one
3.German Warwick streamer stage 11 when I get round to finding a good one
4. Fender Bass V ok is not really a bass but would like to find a decent one
5. Yamaha BB2004 a yamaha with mojo

Bass I have tried that I loved but never got round to buying

1. Mark 1 Wal amazing Thanks Colin!
2. 60 Precision growly monster at manny's guitar
3 Early Warwick Thumb
4. Mark 3 Wal again very nice
5. Guild starfire mmm!![/quote]

Ok the reasons

1. Torzal twist bass , because it is different and hopefully solves an age old problem of wrist ache and they a quality made by a guy who puts everything into every instrument
2. Gibson EB never tried one would like to try and tame the beast! short scale as well
3. Warwick streamer II quality and tone, clear as a bell
4. Fender Bass VI cos oftentimes has to play bass parts written by guitarists................
5. Yamaha BB2004 love the shape of the neck on these, fits the hand like a glove well at least mine, jazzy tones

But then again I do love my current stock of jazzers, so..............

Edited by dan670844

Status KingBass - Would love to figure out if the body size/string spacing/32"/bendwell would work for me.

Wal Mk1 Fretted - Think this is my only other 'to buy' bass, I played a Fretless MkII and it was love.

Alembic MK Sig or similar - Have Played LozBass' Short Scale Alembic and it was amazing, but way too small for me, and an Epic, but it played like crap with old strings etc.

NYC Sadowsky - Just to see what the fuss is about.

Fodera Monarch - As Sadowsky.

I've owned loads of basses i've lusted after since day one, Stingray/Rickys etc, and sold them since.

I'm happy with my Relic 64 Jazz and 83 Jap Squier now, so a Wal is the only thing I truly lust after.

I suppose thats why these are basses you have to play before you die. After all, when I sat down with a couple of Sadowsky basses, which I had wanted to try for years, I found them stunningly average and hugely overrated. Well, I wouldn't have known had I not had a go on them!

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='1179619' date='Mar 28 2011, 03:30 PM']1. Traben Chaos Core 5
2. Traben Chaos Core 5
3. Traben Chaos Core 5
4. Traben Chaos Core 5
5. Traben Chaos Core 5[/quote]

I'm no detective, but I think I see a pattern here... :)

Some good ones, I'd love to have a go on a Wal. I'm a massive Justic Chancellor fan and his tone's always staggeringly good, they seem to be instantly recognisable and still sound awesome. They look brilliant too.

I've just looked up the Torzal Twist basses, they seem very strange. I can't see how the action would be even over the whole neck, it must change with the twist. Playing something like that with fanned frets would be quite insane. Maybe an unlined fretless to really screw with your head. :)

I would love to try all of these.
Wal
[attachment=75966:imagesCAZTKVDV.jpg]
Gus
[attachment=75965:imagesCAJNOZHY.jpg]
Warwick thumb
[attachment=75964:imagesCAFTPD37.jpg]
Yamaha
[attachment=75963:imagesCA90NXR2.jpg]
Xotic 5 string
[attachment=75962:imagesCA7CTUDJ.jpg]

No particular order,

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1180343' date='Mar 29 2011, 01:35 AM']I'm no detective, but I think I see a pattern here... :)

Some good ones, I'd love to have a go on a Wal. I'm a massive Justic Chancellor fan and his tone's always staggeringly good, they seem to be instantly recognisable and still sound awesome. They look brilliant too.

I've just looked up the Torzal Twist basses, they seem very strange. I can't see how the action would be even over the whole neck, it must change with the twist. Playing something like that with fanned frets would be quite insane. Maybe an unlined fretless to really screw with your head. :)[/quote]
Justin Chancellor's tone is not really typical of a Wal and is more dependent on the effects and amplification he uses. That's not to say you won't like a Wal, but if you pick one up and expect to sound even remotely like him you may be disappointed. You only have to look at the variety of sounds that Wal users get out of their instruments to that a Wal is all about finding your own voice. If you didn't know you would be unlikely to suspect that Justin Chancellor, Mick Karn, Percy Jones and Leigh Gorman all use the same make of bass.

As for the Torzal Twist, think of it in the same way as a you would a fan-fret instrument, except that instead of each string having it's own scale length each string has it's own plane relative to the neck. If you were to take a cross-section trough the neck at any given point the relationship between the string and the neck at that point would be exactly the same as any other normal necked bass at the same point.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1180537' date='Mar 29 2011, 10:41 AM']Justin Chancellor's tone is not really typical of a Wal and is more dependent on the effects and amplification he uses. That's not to say you won't like a Wal, but if you pick one up and expect to sound even remotely like him you may be disappointed. You only have to look at the variety of sounds that Wal users get out of their instruments to that a Wal is all about finding your own voice. If you didn't know you would be unlikely to suspect that Justin Chancellor, Mick Karn, Percy Jones and Leigh Gorman all use the same make of bass.

As for the Torzal Twist, think of it in the same way as a you would a fan-fret instrument, except that instead of each string having it's own scale length each string has it's own plane relative to the neck. If you were to take a cross-section trough the neck at any given point the relationship between the string and the neck at that point would be exactly the same as any other normal necked bass at the same point.[/quote]

Yeah, I know they're quite versatile. Every one I've heard has had a certain sound about it though that I really like. He does use a lot of FX, but there's lots of times when he doesn't (or only has a touch of chorus or the like).

Ah ok, I think I have the way the twist goes wrong in my head. It must be hell to make a neck for.

1, [b]Paul Reed Smith[/b], Massive PRS fan and a PS custom build would have to be #1 :)

2. [b]Bernie Goodfellow[/b], Rumour bass I'd love to try, heard good reports and fantastic sounds recorded from them, love the body shape (no pun intended bernie!)

3. [b]Dingwall[/b], Prima artist - I want to try out the fanned fretting and hear the extra sustain in the low B...

4. [b]Carl Thompson[/b], 10 million dollar bass - not really to play but to hold and admire the craftmanship!

5. [b]Jerome Little[/b], Xavier Padilla Custom - an ergonomic bass has to be in the top 5 braking the mould to fit your body/the way you play it seems a great concept so here it is at number 5.

I'd hope to get a good 12months+ playing with them before i died, not just stolen moments at a shop or in between someone elses sets :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1177254' date='Mar 26 2011, 04:16 PM']5- Biarnel Prassi 5 just because its nice looking really and has a chambered body.[/quote]

Pete, it seems you really liked the Prassi :)
Well, thank you.. I hope you'll try one of them really soon!

[quote name='juice' post='1184139' date='Apr 1 2011, 12:17 AM']5. [b]Jerome Little[/b], Xavier Padilla Custom - an ergonomic bass has to be in the top 5 braking the mould to fit your body/the way you play it seems a great concept so here it is at number 5.[/quote]

I wasn't familiar with this bass, so I looked it up...wow!

[url="http://littleguitarworks.com/instruments/custom-instruments/"]http://littleguitarworks.com/instruments/custom-instruments/[/url]

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1194761' date='Apr 10 2011, 04:53 PM']I wasn't familiar with this bass, so I looked it up...wow!

[url="http://littleguitarworks.com/instruments/custom-instruments/"]http://littleguitarworks.com/instruments/custom-instruments/[/url]

[/quote]

I wondered if anyone had heard of these when i put it on my list - Doesn't it make you want to pick it up just looking at it :)