Why become a member? ×

Top 5 basses to play before you die!

ThomBassmonkey

There's another thread on the BGM top 65 basses to try article, but I figured that 65 is a pretty long list so we should go for top 5. I did try doing a search on this as it strikes me as the kind of thing that would pop up from time to time, but there's so many ways of wording it, I couldn't find anything.

So, I haven't read the BGM so don't know what they've based it on, whether it's the best 65, or a kind of "basses that could change the way you look at the instrument" type of thing, so just list any that you feel people would benefit from playing for whatever reason. Feel free to put anything that's a bass instrument in. :) Try and put up your reasoning too instead of just 5 basses in a list. :)

My list:

#1 Any Dingwall. The fanned fret thing is amazing, I've only played combustions, but the feel of them is brilliant, the fanned-ness is barely noticable and the string tension is the most even on any bass I've ever played. It's number one because personally I think it's something everyone should try. It's a fairly unique concept (at least basing a whole brand on it) and one that has the potential to make a lot of people question whether or not it is actually a better idea and why more people aren't making fanned fret basses.

#2 Sandberg JJ (or I assume a P, never played one personally). I love mine, they're a great example of what you can do if you take a classic bass and upgrade it. Small touches like the 0 fret aren't often used but are really nice additions to an already brilliant bass. I'm a massive fan of delanos based on mine too. The pre-amp's versatile and with the active/passive switch has a massive array of tones available, without losing that core jazz sound.

#3 Warwick Thumb. Warwicks are a massive brand that have managed to carve their way through a market that's led by only one or two brands. The Thumb is the bass that (for me at least) really sums up the Warwick sound and feel. Playing this one bass should give anyone that's not played a Warwick before a good idea of what they're about.

#4 ACG Recurve. I played one of these a while ago and, if I'm honest, I didn't get on with the asymetrical neck, but it was definitely something that I've not seen or tried before. Brilliantly made bass too, it felt and sounded great.

#5 (a good example of a) Westfield P copy. I've not personally played one of these, but knowing my experience with the guitars and from hearing about the basses, if you get a good one, they're brilliant examples of what a cheap bass guitar is capable of. They can punch well above their weight and with some upgrades can be very capable basses. A friend of mine had a Westfield strat a few years ago that was a complete dog, I did a setup on it and was actually shocked at how well it played afterwards. He ended up buying some new pickups for it and gigging it regularly. I've heard similar tales of the basses.

I'd like to have put an EUB in my list, but I really don't have any real experience of them to pick one. Stingrays, Jazzes or Ps could've easily gone up too, but they're fairly predictable and though they're classics, when so many basses take the concepts that they introduced and ran with, I don't think they'd ever make anyone think twice about what's out there (at least that's what I based my list on, not that anyone else has to do the same).

I would like to at least try but preferably own all at the same time, in no particular order-

1- A pre EB Stingray
2- An EBMM Stingray 4
3- An EBMM Stingray 5
4- An EBMM Stingray 20th Anniversary LE
5- An EBMM Stingray 30th Anniversary LE

3 out of 5 and the trigger will be pulled on one of the LE's at some point, Easily pleased me :)

Following is a reduced list of basses I have never yet played and which I'd love to have for a weekend to test as you can see the list is down to only 3 basses, because I can't think of anything else that presently gets my attention beside the 3 examples below:

1) Any Gus basses, those half metal, half carbon space age looking things, I've got to try one of them top of my list, anyone who has one and lives in London please give me a shout.

2) a Ken Smith 5 strings top of the range model to see exactly what 5 grand of bass buys you.

3) a Lightwave SL5 to see what the fuss is all about optical pickups compared to conventional magnetic ones.

But here is a list of 3 discontinued basses which I'd like to see back in production again

1) Ibanez Musician MC924 in pearl white, but 6-7 punds lighter, come on Ibby you've done it before you can do it again!

2) Kubicki Ex Factor - why oh why you killed those! WE NEED 'EM NOW!

3) Steinberger remake of the original all carbon L Series of the late 80's early 90's - all those new Gibson made Spirit XT-2 are no way near as good.

I'm not greedy so I'll just go for my personal Number 1.

Top for me would be like going back in a time machine & playing one of the very first original 1951 Precision basses, all made by hand, with the original strings, through a Fender Bassman amp or one of Leo's 'home made available at the time'.

Cheerz, John

GB Rumour - The vast range of great bass tones available from these things is simply astonishing.
1951 Fender Precision - Gotta go back to the beginning, eh?
Squier Precision - For the money, everyone should own one of these at some point.
Warwick Thumb - The first time you hear that burpy aggressive rumble. 'Nuff said.
Adam Clayton Fodera Flying V - Just for the novelty I suppose!

Truckstop

My 5 basses I still want to try:

1. Pagelli Golden Bass or the Marleaux version of it
2. Spalt Hybrid
3. Knuckle Quake
4. Norton Wraith
5. Mike Lull T-Bass V

I could quite easily come up with at least another 10 without even thinking too hard.

Grand Wazoo - If you want to try a Gus Bass, come to the Dick Venom gig at the 12 Bar on the 13th May and introduce yourself.

Updated with reasons!

1 Rickenbacker 4003 - because they're cool!
2 An old Precision - because they started it all
3 A good Stingray - because they're the most comfortable bass I've played
4 Steinberger cricket bat - because they're completely different to anything else
5 Something with a graphite neck - because I've never actually tried one but would like to!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1176794' date='Mar 26 2011, 01:12 AM']There's another thread on the BGM top 65 basses to try article, but I figured that 65 is a pretty long list so we should go for top 5. I did try doing a search on this as it strikes me as the kind of thing that would pop up from time to time, but there's so many ways of wording it, I couldn't find anything.

So, I haven't read the BGM so don't know what they've based it on, whether it's the best 65, or a kind of "basses that could change the way you look at the instrument" type of thing, so just list any that you feel people would benefit from playing for whatever reason. Feel free to put anything that's a bass instrument in. :) Try and put up your reasoning too instead of just 5 basses in a list. :)

My list:

#1 Any Dingwall. The fanned fret thing is amazing, I've only played combustions, but the feel of them is brilliant, the fanned-ness is barely noticable and the string tension is the most even on any bass I've ever played. It's number one because personally I think it's something everyone should try. It's a fairly unique concept (at least basing a whole brand on it) and one that has the potential to make a lot of people question whether or not it is actually a better idea and why more people aren't making fanned fret basses.

#2 Sandberg JJ (or I assume a P, never played one personally). I love mine, they're a great example of what you can do if you take a classic bass and upgrade it. Small touches like the 0 fret aren't often used but are really nice additions to an already brilliant bass. I'm a massive fan of delanos based on mine too. The pre-amp's versatile and with the active/passive switch has a massive array of tones available, without losing that core jazz sound.

#3 Warwick Thumb. Warwicks are a massive brand that have managed to carve their way through a market that's led by only one or two brands. The Thumb is the bass that (for me at least) really sums up the Warwick sound and feel. Playing this one bass should give anyone that's not played a Warwick before a good idea of what they're about.

#4 ACG Recurve. I played one of these a while ago and, if I'm honest, I didn't get on with the asymetrical neck, but it was definitely something that I've not seen or tried before. Brilliantly made bass too, it felt and sounded great.

#5 (a good example of a) Westfield P copy. I've not personally played one of these, but knowing my experience with the guitars and from hearing about the basses, if you get a good one, they're brilliant examples of what a cheap bass guitar is capable of. They can punch well above their weight and with some upgrades can be very capable basses. A friend of mine had a Westfield strat a few years ago that was a complete dog, I did a setup on it and was actually shocked at how well it played afterwards. He ended up buying some new pickups for it and gigging it regularly. I've heard similar tales of the basses.

I'd like to have put an EUB in my list, but I really don't have any real experience of them to pick one. Stingrays, Jazzes or Ps could've easily gone up too, but they're fairly predictable and though they're classics, when so many basses take the concepts that they introduced and ran with, I don't think they'd ever make anyone think twice about what's out there (at least that's what I based my list on, not that anyone else has to do the same).[/quote]

1. Torzal twist bass very cool
2. Gibson EB just cos i have never tried one
3.German Warwick streamer stage 11 when I get round to finding a good one
4. Fender Bass V ok is not really a bass but would like to find a decent one
5. Yamaha BB2004 a yamaha with mojo

Bass I have tried that I loved but never got round to buying

1. Mark 1 Wal amazing Thanks Colin!
2. 60 Precision growly monster at manny's guitar
3 Early Warwick Thumb
4. Mark 3 Wal again very nice
5. Guild starfire mmm!!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1177186' date='Mar 26 2011, 01:18 PM']Where are the reasons, guys? :)[/quote]
[b]OK updated [/b]
I would like to at least try but preferably own all at the same time, in no particular order-

1- A pre EB Stingray [i]because they are the best of all the Rays sound wise and neck feel IMO[/i]
2- An EBMM Stingray 4 [i]because they are rock solid all rounders especially with a 3 band EQ to sit in any mix[/i]
3- An EBMM Stingray 5 [i]Because its a Ray but with an extra string which has got to be good[/i]
4- An EBMM Stingray 20th Anniversary LE [i]because I want to see what its like with the different woods[/i]
5- An EBMM Stingray 30th Anniversary LE [i]because I want to see what its like with the different woods and strung through[/i]

3 out of 5 already mine and the trigger will be pulled on one of the LE's at some point, Easily pleased me :)

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1177202' date='Mar 26 2011, 01:42 PM']They are basses,you do'nt need reasons. :)[/quote]
Exactly!

The ones I listed were all basses that look interesting. Whether they are or not I won't know until I try them. Hence their inclusion on the list.

1. A 1951 Precision just got to be first on the list.

2. A 1960 Jazz, got to be second.

3. Any "super" jazz (Lakland/AC/Lull/Nordy etc), to see what can be achieved.

4. Any Rob Allen bass. I'd choose a Deep 5. Fantastic instruments.

5. A good quality double bass, because they sound so nice.

Sensible list then although the 2 LE Rays are still included, Again in no particular order;

1- 20th Anni Ray to see what its like compared to mine.
2- 30th Anni Ray to see what its like compared to mine and the 20th.
3- 60's P Bass to hear how they sound and feel.
4- Mayones Jabba 5 just because its nice looking really.
5- Biarnel Prassi 5 just because its nice looking really and has a chambered body.

You don't need to justify your choices, I'm not your SO. :) But it's going to make it much more interesting if people put reasons for their choices. They don't have to be basses that you've never played, you can have ones that you have and you'd recommend other people to play (I've owned 3 out of the 5 on my list).

Just trying to keep conversation going, folks. :)

Burns Bison Bass - Im still so in love with mine
Epiphone Rivoli II - i dream of owning one in cherry red
Rickenbacker 4005 - fireglo, my 'Most Wanted' bass
70's Fender P - sunburst/tort/rosewood
Hook Hacienda Bass - ltd run made from the floor boards of the hacienda

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1177276' date='Mar 26 2011, 02:31 PM']You don't need to justify your choices, I'm not your SO. :) But it's going to make it much more interesting if people put reasons for their choices. They don't have to be basses that you've never played, you can have ones that you have and you'd recommend other people to play (I've owned 3 out of the 5 on my list).

Just trying to keep conversation going, folks. :lol:[/quote]

Fair enough - updated my post with reasons :)

In no particular oder...

1) a 1980's Status S2 with the proper graphite "paddle" through neck, because it's the ultimate iteration of what status have wanted to do outside of the Stealth bass. The Stealth is probably their best instrument but these old skool S2's have that classic 80's vibe. I can only imagine how futuristic they must have seemed at the time!

2) a Kubicki Ex Factor - The ultimate 1980's bass, a design so good it still feels ahead of it's time. Blending incredible looks, sound and feel they are about as good as basses get! The construction and innovation of these basses is enough to make them interesting, the fact they sound so incredible is what makes them unmissable.

3) A thru-neck ACG. My Harlot singlecut really changed the way I think about basses. The electronics are a real talking point as they so damn good. You've got that Wal-esque filter sound in a highly tweakable but far more useable package than you get in say, an Alembic. Alan's woodworking skills are also incredible, he is a true visionary of luthiery. I often say that ACG are the best basses being made in the UK today although I would be surprised if anyone can match them. Especially at the price point!

4) a Fodera - the birth of the "super studio" boutique bass began with Fodera and Ken Smith in the 80's, IMO. I've always prefered Fodera. You must play a Fodera to get a feel for this ideal of bass. There are many instruments that sound and feel as good or better, but none command the brand cache and mystique of Fodera, not even Alembic.

5) Warwick Thumb - the quintessential Warwick bass. Not a contender for a good boutique bass, but still a unique product. And it is because Warwick are so big, and have made such a brave move with this bass that I must recommend it. Yes, a Spector might be better but nothing Spector do is quite as outlandish and yet so useable as the Thumb. They are real love/hate basses, which furthers my reasoning for why you should play one. I had one and loved it.

I'd start with

1) an early 50s P-bass. Just to say I'd played one. I don't think it warrants anymore explanation.

then

2) an early 60s Jazz. Similar reasoning really.

3) An Ampeg AUB1 so I can relive my Rick Danko fantasy

4) An Epiphone Rivoli to bring a little bit of 60s beat pop into the mix

5) As tempted as I am to say a T-bird or a Ricky, I too will add the Burns Bison to my list. Any bass with a tone setting called Wild Dog really needs to be included