Why become a member? ×

Laney or Peavey?

shezza

Hi All, I know the forum is full of talk about top notch amps, (i'm not knocking it) But I can only afford a budget combo but then again it is only for bedroom use. So can someone please give me their thoughts on a Peavey max 112 combo against a Laney rb3 combo
both have phono inputs and headphone socket which I need. So I would like to know what people think........Thanks.......Pete.

Edited by shezza

No one's laughing. Not everyone has top end gear.

I expect most people will recommend Peavey but I would think either of these would be fine for home use. I have no experience of the Peavey but I used to use an RB3 at an open mic night where it was the supplied backline and it coped perfectly well and sounded pretty good. It didn't rattle the windows but you wouldn't expect it to.

Personally, I think the choice you've already made is a good one.

I had a Laney RB9 head for YEARS and it was immense. Never let me down once and really provided some clout so I could really recommend Laney gear. At the same time, I had a peavey cab that was just as sturdy, reliable and powerful and would recommend that too.

If you've narrowed it down to these two options, you'll have already considered power and speaker size and price... if that's the case, then do the sensible thing and buy the one that is easiest to carry/is the smallest and save your back! :)

Used Peavey - I used a bass combo mkiii (130W) for 26+ years, small gigs up to university halls (small ish) without p.a. Sold a 300W Peavey bass combo for £150 last year. The guy I sold it to thinks it is the dog's blx and is a happy bunny. Well built, reliable, easy to fix. Downside, 'boxy' sound compared to current rig - barefaced big one and peavey tour 700 head. Big downside - heavy, very heavy, fit castors.

edit for spelling - again!

Edited by 3below

From having had both Peavey and Laney gear, I`d go for the Peavey, for me, the sound was much more controlled and full. Added bonus, Peavey gear is virtually indestructable, downside, it can be heavy, but, if bedroom use, well its not really an issue.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='1171211' date='Mar 21 2011, 08:10 PM']No one's laughing. Not everyone has top end gear.[/quote]

Hi there,
Out of the two you have short listed I would go with the PV. Or what about a line 6 studio. They go for about £100 second hand. I use one for home rehearsal and doing small pub gigs. It very versatile and you can put your fav sounds into preset buttons.

[quote name='shezza' post='1171447' date='Mar 21 2011, 10:26 PM']Since posting this I am a little confused! many listings for the Laney RB3 on the net state it has headphone socket, but on looking at the pictures I cant see one? Can anyone throw any light on this.........................Pete.[/quote]

It's on the back panel.

Instruction manual for the RB3 is available [url="http://ebookbrowse.com/laney-rb3-manual-pdf-d37379833"]here[/url]

I have an RB3 100watt head (I think) I take it to functions or decent gigs where amp failure is not an option but you know what I have only used it once when my old Ashdown finally blew up! and only on an 8 ohm load, I had to make a speakon to jack lead so I can run it into my Genz cab as it has only speakons and the laney only jacks, I tested it at home briefly chucked the lead in my gig bag and never tried it since which is a shame I really should try it into the 4ohm Genz to see what it's like. I also used to have a Laney stack something (BH?) 120 watt head and 2 2x10's it looked cool but never sounded that good really and went for a Peavey TNT combo which is still one of my favourite amp sounds especially with a Ray (yep I have been playing Rays that long now :) ) either should be good for home use IMO

If you're looking around the £200 mark, then don't restrict your options. As mentioned there's Ashdown, there's also SWR, Orange & Hartke combos in your price range.

If you're willing to go 2nd hand, have a look in the "amps for sale" section on here. You'll get much more for your money & the majority of bassists tend to look after our stuff.

know bugger all about Laney....

but just been having a go on late '90's Peavey TNT115 BW with the black widow speaker....I gota say I'm very, very impressed...built like the proverbial brick shithouse, if ever they drop the bomb, I will pull that BW speaker out and use the cab for a nuclear bunker for the family, the one here has casters and side handles, it's heavy and needs them! Don't see much negative about Peavey gear, except some fashion victims say they aren't cool :) ...not sure why....?

.....everything has a nice quality feel to it, lovely pots n switches, even a cable tidy on the back for the mains lead....I know Peavey PA gear seems very popular with the live acts we see 'round here, and I've seen a few TNT's gigged too...we aren't talking the Albert Hall, small social clubs, pubs etc.

....I thought by the nomenclature (!) it would be 100 watt with 1x15" or something, they are, according to the manual, a full 160 watt RMS (sounds louder!) and a 1 x15"....but even though there is only the 1x15" it can handle slappy highs really well.

I think the later TNT's may have a tweeter or high frequency horn, but can't be sure, there is a good Peavey forum to check?

.....plenty still kicking about for sale on Fleabay/Gumtree which must say something about their durability too......

.....my Ashdown EB12-180 EVO, lush little amp as it is, with a lovely warm tone, sorta looks like a toy in comparison :), although much easier to pull about :lol:

Edited by iconic

[quote name='shezza' post='1171190' date='Mar 21 2011, 08:00 PM']Hi All, I know the forum is full of talk about top notch amps, (i'm not knocking it) But I can only afford a budget combo but then again it is only for bedroom use. So can someone please give me their thoughts on a Peavey max 112 combo against a Laney rb3 combo
both have phono inputs and headphone socket which I need. So I would like to know what people think........Thanks.......Pete.[/quote]

if it's only for bedroom use....have you considered a VOX Amplug...gota an input for the Ipod, so you can play with music, I've got one and I think it's a great little tool?

Edited by iconic

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1171301' date='Mar 21 2011, 08:57 PM']From having had both Peavey and Laney gear, I`d go for the Peavey, for me, the sound was much more controlled and full. Added bonus, Peavey gear is virtually indestructable, downside, it can be heavy, but, if bedroom use, well its not really an issue.[/quote]

+1 here.If the choice is Peavey or Laney,get the Peavey.