Why become a member? ×

Bass chat people I might need your help!

TomKent

Basically, there's a small chance I'll be performing at the Messe music show, however I don't have a hard case for my bass. There's a very slight chance the flight crew will allow me to have in in the cabin, but I'd rather not take the chance.

Does anyone in the London/South East/West area have one I could borrow?

I'd pay with what money I have and give you as many man-hugs as possible! :)

Edited by TomKent

Just measured my jazz and it's 46" (ish) head to tail, quoting BA..

[quote]Small musical instruments may be carried as hand baggage if they are under 126cm (50in), as part of your free hand baggage allowance.[/quote]

So here's me hoping they book with BA. Can I still be declined with it (even if it's under 50inches)?

[quote name='TomKent' post='1165929' date='Mar 17 2011, 04:02 PM']Bloomin' eck! Just seen the price of them - right out of reach. haha :)[/quote]

What I meant was that you could borrow one of mine :)

I may have a hard case somewhere as well - my loft is full of cases!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1166146' date='Mar 17 2011, 07:11 PM']I have a couple of Hiscox cases and a proper flight case... but I am off Jct 9 M20.

I might have to go to London by car next week[/quote]

I've travelled with a Hiscox case and it's been put in the hold many times without any issues. Feel free to borrow one of mine if you can get to Cambs or Milton Keynes to pick it up.

My standard practice, and it's only failed me maybe twice out in about 100 flights, is to take the bass in a gigbag to the check in desk. Shimmy it along with the bottom of the bass resting on your foot. More often than not they don't notice you have the case there unless they really go out of their way to look around the desk. If that works then when you've got your boarding card just turn around, always blocking your bass with your body. Stall for time, putting your passport away, etc - in which time the next happy traveler has now taken your space and is distracting the check in staff. Procede to the gate!!!

BUT - if they do see it at check in and insist you put it in the hold all is still not lost. First you comply, but then insist that you carry it to the foot of the plane so that someone can put it on by hand, also checking that you can get the bass again at the foot of the plane when you disembark. I never had anyone argue that point with me so off I took to the waiting lounge.

Here's the masterpiece tho - when you go to board the plane you just keep on walking like it's your birthright to take basses on to planes. Do not stop unless someone stops you and asks for the bass. If that happens and all is finally lost, insist that your bass is out into the hold by hand on top of the other luggage. At this stage, most of the luggage will have already been packed. Like I said, this only happened to me twice and both times I got the bass as soon as I stepped of the plane. It helps to start mentioning what's going on to the flight attendants so they can radio ahead to the ground staff and make sure your bass does not go with the rest of the luggage to the terminal.

The only fly in the ointment is if your case gets tagged at check in and someone at the boarding gate spots the tag and insists you put the bass in the hold. But before that happens, ask yourself - just how visible is that tag once your coat is hanging over it? :)

Edited by Gareth Hughes

[quote name='TomKent' post='1165852' date='Mar 17 2011, 03:09 PM']Basically, there's a small chance I'll be performing at the Messe music show, however I don't have a hard case for my bass. There's a very slight chance the flight crew will allow me to have in in the cabin, but I'd rather not take the chance.

Does anyone in the London/South East/West area have one I could borrow?

I'd pay with what money I have and give you as many man-hugs as possible! :)[/quote]

I've got a pukka flight case, alloy & wood with all catches etc. in full working order, heavy & a bit basic inside but the good news is it will take a bass inside a soft bag. You're welcome to borrow - no money involved, maybe just a small hug - if you can collect from Bexhill.

GOOD LUCK,
John

I've got [url="http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=4849-3980&ref=base"]one of these[/url] you can borrow. It's pretty heavy and bomb proof and has been through airplane holds before. You're welcome to borrow it.

I'm j.12 of the M40, so whilst not on the doorstep, I'm not a million miles away either.