Why become a member? ×

Basses covered in gaffa tape

Gust0o

Minor and likely pointless mental meandering here, but thinking back over the last few gigs I've been to, both guitar and bass players seemed utterly obsessed with gaffa tape as a means of securing their straps. One managed to break, causing a brief moment of panic for the player concerned.

I used to do this when I was a teenager and had just started out. I had some awful bulletbelt strap, which needed some adjusting for the "round the knees" playing fashion which I remember being cool.

Is it still cool in some rock-and-roll-chic fashion? Or have people just not heard of straplocks? Seems odd to see so many relatively expensive basses bound up in tape!

It's just quick and easy IME. If you want a pristine look then it's not going to work for you, but if you're doing a punk look, it doesn't matter, you could nail it on for all the difference it makes.

The guitarist in my band's strap is taped on. He batters it about a lot though, so it suits the whole look of it. I've thought about doing something like that with my bass (it has a relic'd finish and it'd look good a bit punked up) but it's not something I'm desperate enough to do.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1161770' date='Mar 14 2011, 02:01 PM']Minor and likely pointless mental meandering here, but thinking back over the last few gigs I've been to, both guitar and bass players seemed utterly obsessed with gaffa tape as a means of securing their straps. One managed to break, causing a brief moment of panic for the player concerned.

I used to do this when I was a teenager and had just started out. I had some awful bulletbelt strap, which needed some adjusting for the "round the knees" playing fashion which I remember being cool.

Is it still cool in some rock-and-roll-chic fashion? Or have people just not heard of straplocks? Seems odd to see so many relatively expensive basses bound up in tape![/quote]

+ 1

I hate gaffa all over basses!

However, I never used straplocks personally, because I found that the little red rubber seal from grolsch swing bottles does the job just as well (and gives me an excuse to have a beer!). They are also cheap (because I'm happy to pay for the beer :)) and not messy like gaffa.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1161788' date='Mar 14 2011, 02:15 PM']Can someone please explain how the Grolsch bottle seal holds your strap on?[/quote]

You take the seal off the bottle and it's a just a round red '0' shape.

You put the strap onto the bass strap button as normal, and then repeat the process with the seal, placing it onto the strap button over the top of the strap on both strap buttons and it holds the strap on.

EDIT: They are identical to these [url="http://www.straplock.co.uk/catalog3.html"]straplock[/url] but are red instead, and you get the beer!

Edited by skej21

I use Jim Dunlop Straploks, the plastic ones that cost around a couple of quid a pair.
Unlike the metal Strap Lock system these does mean you don't have to alter your guitar or strap.
Never had a bass come off using these yet.

(Also +1 for the Grolsch washers ! )

As above, Red - though too many Grolsch will hinder your ability to hold your bass steady, regardless of how many seals you use :)

I thought I was reasonably rock-and-roll, but I still polish the gear - I'm not sure I could go back to sticking gaffa tape onto my bass, or nailing it like some! Crikey!

I did spy a guy with what appeared to be a US Fender Roadworn P held on with those plastic cable ties.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1162060' date='Mar 14 2011, 06:35 PM']I too use Grolsch tops, always have. I bought some strap locks once but just prefer the ease of the red rubber ring. No modifications & away you go.[/quote]

so do i, very easy, you can also get blue coloured ones, so there are not so eye-catching.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1161788' date='Mar 14 2011, 03:15 PM']Can someone please explain how the Grolsch bottle seal holds your strap on?[/quote]

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1162060' date='Mar 14 2011, 05:35 PM']I too use Grolsch tops, always have. I bought some strap locks once but just prefer the ease of the red rubber ring. No modifications & away you go.[/quote]

another convert here. Made the switch a while ago after using Schaller and others... brilliant idea.

Always use strap locks, not that i ever throw the bass about to warrant ever needing them but its a bit like putting your seat belt on when you get in your car etc .... pray you never need it.
One off job of fitting them, if you lucky enough to have more than one bass stick to the same brand of locks then can swap, change straps around with minimal hassle etc.

[quote name='casapete' post='1161855' date='Mar 14 2011, 03:08 PM']I use Jim Dunlop Straploks, the plastic ones that cost around a couple of quid a pair.
Unlike the metal Strap Lock system these does mean you don't have to alter your guitar or strap.
Never had a bass come off using these yet.

(Also +1 for the Grolsch washers ! )[/quote]

Found these to me very useful and cost effective especially when planning on using them on something like a Rickenbacker (i.e don't need to change/swap over original strap buttons)

Keep the gaffer tape for taping leads down (or throwing at the drummer :) )

Grolsch washer, WIN WIN WIN :)

I find straplocks mileage varies.

Anyone that uses a long strap and often tilts their bass up should have them. Even with a stiff leather strap they can still slip off. Single cutaways need them (because the strap pins are often angled up, talking more from guitar there though, les pauls are terrible for it). Anyone that flails around like a madman will also benefit from them.

If I was playing a Fender at a smooth jazz gig, I wouldn't be rushing to the bar for a round of Grolshs though. It never hurts though, it only takes one awkward movement to send your prized instrument crashing to the floor. It's possible to drop the weight of your bass onto the strap while it's twisted in a moment of carelessness at any gig.

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' post='1162452' date='Mar 14 2011, 09:50 PM']You've never dropped an expensive instrument or been smacked in the face then =)[/quote]

I've never had a bass slip it's moorings, so to speak :) Not with the one I used for 20 years nor the ones I use now.