Why become a member? ×

Site unusable tonight due to delays - just me?

pete.young

I think because so many people have removed / are removing attachments, the database can't keep track of all the changes on the website which is really slowing things down and causing database errors & glitches. There are no installed tools to check / reset the databases.

• 3 months later...

Rather than start still another thread on this subject, I'm re-using Pete's. Re-cycling is good.

I am routinely suffering from this problem, and have done for months & months. There are certain days, or parts of days, when trying to do anything on Basschat becomes virtually impossible. Individual page refreshes can take several minutes, time-out's become a normal part of the browsing experience.

With all the housekeeping that's taken place over the last month or two, I was hoping that there would be an improvement. This has turned out not to be the case.

Is this a recognised issue? Is it widespread or confined to a limited number of users? Is there anything more that I can do do reduce the scale of the problem?

This has not been an issue for me. Can you detail any time periods that this occurs in particularly ? When you do get in, are there lots of people logged on (especially guests), visible at the bottom of the forum ?

I've been experiencing these same issues for a while now, but only whilst using Google Chrome, the site runs perfectly for me with IE9, I've not tried Firefox or Safari. So it may be a browser related problem?

Edited by LLOYDWT

[quote name='Machines' post='1299729' date='Jul 11 2011, 11:10 AM']This has not been an issue for me. Can you detail any time periods that this occurs in particularly ? When you do get in, are there lots of people logged on (especially guests), visible at the bottom of the forum ?[/quote]

With an absolutely wicked sense of irony, when I tried to reply to this post my screen hung on "loading" for nearly five minutes.

A little earlier, I posted feedback for Jakesbass ... that took roughly three minutes to load.

The problem has nothing to do with my end of things. I get exactly the same problem whether I'm on Basschat from home (Virgin Media Cable, super-duper uber-fast Broadband XXL package) or as now, from work (corporate-level ultra-hi-speed everything).

I use Mozilla Firefox at home, Internet Explorer at work, so it ain't a browser issue.

So far as timing is concerned, it seems to be entirely random. I have days where everything works blindingly fast, all day. I have days where every single action all day takes forever and I end up spending the day elsewhere. I have days which are a random mix of the two.

I've long suspected that there's some sort of link to the PM system. It is VERY common for the problem to occur either when I'm responding to PMs, or when I'm trying to do other postings immediately after dealing with PMs.

I've also noticed that the email notification system for PM's has become increasingly sporadic, with sometimes very long delays before I get an email telling me that I have a new PM, and also (bizarrely) a sort of domino effect where a new PM from one person will finally spark a long-overdue email telling me that the previous PM from someone else entirely has been received.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1299620' date='Jul 11 2011, 09:15 AM']Rather than start still another thread on this subject, I'm re-using Pete's. Re-cycling is good.

I am routinely suffering from this problem, and have done for months & months. There are certain days, or parts of days, when trying to do anything on Basschat becomes virtually impossible. Individual page refreshes can take several minutes, time-out's become a normal part of the browsing experience.

With all the housekeeping that's taken place over the last month or two, I was hoping that there would be an improvement. This has turned out not to be the case.

Is this a recognised issue? Is it widespread or confined to a limited number of users? Is there anything more that I can do do reduce the scale of the problem?[/quote]
And me too, on different machines in different places.

Ben mentioned something to me about a kernel issue or something, but said that it should be now sorted. I reported this in the BC Facebook feed but I can't access what I worte at the moment.

Cheers
ped