Why become a member? ×

This is why I love Music Ground

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Egmond-Rosetti-Solid-7-Beatles-Paul-McCartney-/260747548397?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cb5c3d6ed"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Egmond-Rosetti-Solid...=item3cb5c3d6ed[/url]

[color="#8B0000"][i]History , The above instrument has the same specification as the one used by Paul Macartney except that the above is the Bass Version Of the Rosetti 7 (Paul although a bass player used the 6 String Guitar ).
[/i][/color]

Wonderful. Just wonderful.

So this bass is the same as the one played by Macca, except that Macca didn't play this bass. He played a similar guitar. Before he became a bass player. Or famous.

And to think ... this could be yours for just £899.

Bliss.

and this was reported back in January...

Father and son team that head up Music Ground and Hiwatt plead 'not guilty' as case is sent to crown court
Rick (pictured) and Justin Harrison, the father and son partnership at the helm of both the now defunct Music Ground retail operation and Hiwatt, as well as retail businesses in London's Denmark Street, appeared before magistrates on December 30th, charged with handling stolen goods amounting to £170,000, the Yorkshire Evening Post has reported.

The case involves 26 guitars that the pair allegedly handled between October 7th 2006 and March 5th 2010, which are believed to be part of a £1 million haul that occurred in two separate burglaries in Verona, Italy in October 2006.

Both Rick and Justin Harrison pleaded not guilty to the charges and the magistrates deemed the case unsuitable for trial before them and had the case committed to Leeds Crown Court. The pair's unconditional bail was extended to the date of the trial on February 10th.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1153638' date='Mar 8 2011, 12:06 PM']I hope for your sake that it's not accepted.[/quote]

Nah they rejected my offer. A bit rude i think as £4 each is a perfectly fair price for these.
I've slung in a slightly higher offer of £6 each to try to tempt them but that's as much as i want to pay.

• 2 months later...

I once bought a bass from Music Ground in Leeds in the late 80's. It was a new Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray but I couldn't get on with the action. When the bloke in the shop played it it didn't buzz because he kept playing very fast runs on it so I told him to play sustained notes slowly to hear the buzzing and his reply was that the electric bass wasn't designed to play long notes.

[quote name='griffonite' post='1258683' date='Jun 6 2011, 05:53 PM'].....the electric bass wasn't designed to play long notes.[/quote]

I love made-up-on-the-spot BS from shop assistants.

"You're not supposed to use flatwound strings on stingrays" was one that still makes me chuckle :)

[quote name='wesfinn' post='1153736' date='Mar 8 2011, 02:22 PM']haha.

I think i may have one that is made from timber that was grown using the very same recycled water and air that maccas bass timber was grown with...I can;t be certain but a buy it now of £2000 will secure it.[/quote]

That sounds fantastic, i'm gonna stick my neck out, and offer you £1900, but i would like a pic, just before i post the cheque! :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='1152795' date='Mar 7 2011, 07:51 PM']Is this one they made up in their workshop.......whoops, did I say that out loud?[/quote]

I wandered around their shop in Doncaster a few years ago and came across a workshop where they were assembling Hofner violin basses.

I wonder how many fakes are out there?

Edited by Mr Bassman

I just can't believe my eyes.That is the first bass I ever owned.Not that particular one but one just like it.My Dad bought it off a guy when I was 13,(I'm 58 now).I think he paid £5 for it back in '65,and I thought it was the greatest thing in the world.My first bass... wow! (lump in throat)

He probably didn't even know who Paul McCartney was FFS!Looking at the pic brings it all back.The 2 little prongs supporting the pickup unit to the bridge,the 2 little thumbscrews for adjusting the string height,even the wonky 12th fret dots,the narrow neck.But hey,it was MY bass.......(where's the Kleenex)