Why become a member? ×

Nervous.

pikeman

What a let down.

There are varying degrees of migraine though and if the singer suffers with the serious variety then he deserves sympathy.

Migraine has been given a bad name by people calling a bad headache a migraine, much like people with a cold, claiming that they have the flu.

[quote name='pikeman' post='1151280' date='Mar 6 2011, 11:08 AM']Just what I was thinking Dave. I still have to work with a migraine and I'm a photographer, thank God for autofocus.
As you say, it gives me time to prepare a bit more.
I was just talking the my better half and realised in all my years of playing, going back to the 60's, I've never actually had an audition of any kind.
I suppose having to prove ones ability is something I'll have to come to terms with.[/quote]

Maybe its the younger generation who just can't cope with everyday stresses of life (that comment will probably get me slated on BC now) :lol:
Or maybe our generation suffered more hangovers and got used to the odd headache. :lol:

Agree with the earlier comment - there are varying degrees of migraine and some can be pretty horrific so some sympathy may be in order. I've had all the usual, vision, headache, nausea, shakes, lack of energy so do know what its like.

I'm 35 yrs playing and never had to audition either. Maybe we were just exceptionally good or more than likely a shortage of bassists in the area. :D :P :)

Sounds like you've already proved yourself. Don't think you need to worry on that front.
Keep us posted how it turns out.

All the very best
Dave
:)

Edited by dmccombe7

Don't wish to through a spanner in the works and I hope the OP gets back to a standard that he is happy with, but plenty of old skool names that are still hanging around the local circuit can't cut it..
High profiles, big names and a decent career but if they were starting out now, they would really struggle.
Funnily enough this post applies mostly to drummers.
I was having this converstation the other day and I can think of a few that would be lost. The standard of drumming has taken quite a leap these last few years IMV.

Best of luck when it does happen,shame about them cancling ,hate migrains ,only ever had 2 though in my life and couldnt lift my head or be in light so if it is a proper one then poor bugger, if its a headache then tut tut !

[quote name='JTUK' post='1151621' date='Mar 6 2011, 04:53 PM']Don't wish to through a spanner in the works and I hope the OP gets back to a standard that he is happy with, but plenty of old skool names that are still hanging around the local circuit can't cut it..
High profiles, big names and a decent career but if they were starting out now, they would really struggle.
Funnily enough this post applies mostly to drummers.
I was having this converstation the other day and I can think of a few that would be lost. The standard of drumming has taken quite a leap these last few years IMV.[/quote]

Would agree that bass styles have changed over the yrs, however you are never too old to learn these styles and techniques and if like me you have taken more of an interest in studying and learning more about the bass for the past few years rather than playing in bands then you should have improved to a point where you can "hold your own".
Its odd how when I started playing bass all those yrs ago I had the same thought. That the older guys couldn't cut it in modern bands.
I'm not sure where that idea came from but like any other youngster i probably thought that anyone over 30 was too old to do anything worthwhile.

Many of the exceptional bassists we regard as being top of their profession are similar age to myself if not older ie Berlin, Jameson, Manring, Haslip, Cottle, Bruce, Squire, Lee to name but a few so not really sure why you think that.

I'm not sure why your local bassists can't cut it. Any particular reason ?
Are you talking about a particular style of playing. ?

It would be interesting to know why and would maybe help explain why you can't offer support to a fellow bassist who has obviously had some difficult times recently and is making the effort to get back out there.

We all age but we don't need to give up the ghost. :)

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1151652' date='Mar 6 2011, 05:22 PM']Would agree that bass styles have changed over the yrs, however you are never too old to learn these styles and techniques and if like me you have taken more of an interest in studying and learning more about the bass for the past few years rather than playing in bands then you should have improved to a point where you can "hold your own".
Its odd how when I started playing bass all those yrs ago I had the same thought. That the older guys couldn't cut it in modern bands.
I'm not sure where that idea came from but like any other youngster i probably thought that anyone over 30 was too old to do anything worthwhile.

Many of the exceptional bassists we regard as being top of their profession are similar age to myself if not older ie Berlin, Jameson, Manring, Haslip, Cottle, Bruce, Squire, Lee to name but a few so not really sure why you think that.

I'm not sure why your local bassists can't cut it. Any particular reason ?
Are you talking about a particular style of playing. ?

It would be interesting to know why and would maybe help explain why you can't offer support to a fellow bassist who has obviously had some difficult times recently and is making the effort to get back out there.

We all age but we don't need to give up the ghost. :)

Dave[/quote]

Please don't feel that I was offended by JTUK's comments.
In fact I find myself agreeing with him to a certain extent.
You only have to spend a short time on Youtube to find young bassists who are decades ahead of where we were at that age.
It's quite scary just how good some of them are. Notice I said "some".
I know I'll never be as good as I used to be and I'm quite happy with that, I now play for enjoyment only so please don't feel sorry for me.
My hand, which was crushed and broken in 10 places doesn't hurt like it used to, I thank playing a nylon string acoustic and later bass for helping get some dexterity back into my fingers. I was advised to exercise to slow down the inevitable arthritis that will set in, so it's a win /win situation.
Bass playing is great therapy for both fingers and mind.

I hope the OP gets there as well... but I thought I made it clear the post refers mostly to drummers.
I agree it isn't too late to learn, but you have to put the time in...and some can't or don't do this any more.
That will cost you on any instrument but drums are more physical....so apart from the guys not being current, they aren't as young and as keen as they were.

Depending on where you come from and depending on where you hope to end up...you'll need focus.

Personally, a drummer that hasn't been on his kit for more than a week is not going to be on it enough, likely enough, unless they take other measures and that would cost them in terms of timing and stamina. With bass, it will show in terms of panache and facility but that might depend how showey that player was..or wanted to be.

That OT aside, I imagine...that anything that takes someone out physically for 20 years from their profession, would hit them hard
so would think just being keen enough to start again is enough for congratulations.

I said as much in previous posts but as the same time, you can't sugar-coat a few things. I don't know whether they are applicable in this case but I wasn't the one who mentioned that the band might have already settled on a bass player and therefore called off the audition with a let down easy excuse.
If the OP has worked in the industry, he'll likely have heard it all before anyway.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='pikeman' post='1151252' date='Mar 6 2011, 10:46 AM']Oh bugger, I've just had a phone call and the audition has been cancelled, the singer has a migraine.
All that worrying for nothing.
No date set for another audition yet.
I've gone from nervous to disappointed.
Sorry to put you guys through it with me.
Still feeling the love though. :)

Steve.[/quote]

Singers, eh? :lol:

That must be frustrating, but hey, you get a little more time to play those songs until you can play them in your sleep.
Let us know what happens.

I hope you get back in business soon! :)

• 7 months later...

I'd forgotten all about this post but re-reading it, I think I owe some chatters an update.
I didn't go to the rescheduled audition as I answered an ad for a more local band playing music I much prefer, Yes, early Genesis, Floyd and Rush
I passed their audition and have been in rehearsal for a couple of months now and loving every minute of it.
The fingers are holding up really well so far, I worry more for my hearing than anything else.
Thanks for all the positive comments and good wishes on here.
It's great to be a bassist again.

[quote name='pikeman' timestamp='1320611641' post='1429029']
I'd forgotten all about this post but re-reading it, I think I owe some chatters an update.
I didn't go to the rescheduled audition as I answered an ad for a more local band playing music I much prefer, Yes, early Genesis, Floyd and Rush
I passed their audition and have been in rehearsal for a couple of months now and loving every minute of it.
The fingers are holding up really well so far, I worry more for my hearing than anything else.
Thanks for all the positive comments and good wishes on here.
It's great to be a bassist again.
[/quote]

Great to hear, well done buddy.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1320615259' post='1429103']
Wow talk about falling on your feet, what a great genre to be covering! Gratz, glad its working out :)
[/quote]

Agreed, I'm really enjoying the music, nothing better than playing the stuff you listen to most.
We've just about got a set together now, it just needs a lot of polishing before we unleash it on the unsuspecting public.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1299365641' post='1151018']
No matter how you fare at the audition, this will be the starting point to getting your confidence back,
[/quote]

+1. It's just one audition, at least you're now at the stage where you're doing auditions, well done man. :)

Edit: Might start reading threads before I reply to them...

:)

Edited by thisnameistaken