Why become a member? ×

The Sweetest Feeling Jackie Wilson

essexbasscat

There's an ad on T.V. doing the rounds at the moment and the sound track is (I get the) Sweetest Feeling, sung by Jackie Wilson

Between the lyrics; 'Girl, when you hold my hand' / Bum note / I feel so grand that I could cry.

Listening to it, the desired note to fit the melody is a tone lower than the one first struck, which the bass player drops to straight away. Thing is, it keeps coming back to me that the howler has actually become a characteristic of the song and that the melodically correct note would only detract from the song, which is to my mind, a real classic.

What do you think ? If you played this song on stage, would you include the bum note ? as played on the song ?

Edited by essexbasscat

Well spotted! Though it doesnt sound like a bum note to me to be honest with you. Though live I would play it.

Theres Bowies Rebel Rebel I think it is, where Bowie says 'one back' on the record 'cos the bassist goes to the chorus one bar too early. Most covers bands sing 'one back' but the bassist never plays the mistake!
I wonder how many more there are like that out there?

Dan

Bum notes weren’t an issue back then. Studio time was so expensive that if the feel of the track was good they didn't go back to rerecord any parts. In the days of 2 and 4 track sessions you were probably sharing a track with 2 or 3 other players so they would have had to redo their parts as well.

Most music recorded up to the mid 60's was only ever listened to on a car radio or Dansette with a 2x3 inch elliptical speaker so most bum notes weren't that noticeable anyway.

• Like 1

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1143191' date='Feb 27 2011, 12:13 PM']The octaves in the chorus. Is it possible to get that kind of expression without flats and dampening sponges ? Does anyone else find it almost too easy to over - emphasise the top note when playing those octaves ?[/quote]

I've been playing it by damping the stings by resting my spare fingers just past the fret I'm playing on, and playing closer to the neck, TOP Rocco style. Not perfect but gives a similar sound to my ears.

Dan

You should get Standing in the Shadows of Motown and study Jamerson's bass lines,he was a genius and a fearless player.In my opinion that's never a bum note. :)

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1143191' date='Feb 27 2011, 12:13 PM']The octaves in the chorus. Is it possible to get that kind of expression without flats and dampening sponges ? Does anyone else find it almost too easy to over - emphasise the top note when playing those octaves ?[/quote]

Well if you want to get the totally original sound then flats are certainly the way to go - I don't think there was a choice of rounds in those days.

The general tendency is to 'snatch' the octave note but that can be 'practised out'.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1143278' date='Feb 27 2011, 01:31 PM']I think it's great. Personally I find this sort of thing a welcome relief from todays over produced, over dubbed, pitch corrected stuff. At least you know its being made by people rather a a computer.[/quote]
A big plus one to that.

I reckon it's definitely a wrong note and I probably wouldn't play it live.

It does work though, so after you've listened to it a few times it starts to make sense and you start to hear it that way, which is probably exactly what they did in the studio!

Andrew

Here, here. Real music.

I've never been sure of a certain note that Steve Cropper played on (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay. The chords go G - B - C - A but over the B he plays a G#, the sixth. Either he muffed the barre chord or it's pretty, um, brave… but now so much part of the song.

It's in verse 2 at 0:50…. "Left my home in Georgia…" [i]Ding![/i] "…headed for the Frisco bay…"

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmUhYSr-e4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmUhYSr-e4[/url]

Might have been a mistake, but its between the two lead vocal notes,
and fits in with the string line, backing vox line and vibes...
So whats a Db/Eb amongst friends.. :)

The Bass through out the whole tune sounds like its busked [very well ] over a chord sheet,
with a few little twists & turns - so within keeping.

Great song with a great feel.

Garry

[quote name='Doddy' post='1143170' date='Feb 27 2011, 11:54 AM']Hmmmmm,I'm not sure.

The Bowie track is Jean Genie. Trevor Bolder goes to the B chord a bar early.[/quote]

Saw Trevor in Waitrose last Thursday!

(Apparently he gets a bit fed up of bassists asking him about 'Jean Genie')

Regarding the OP, was n't it Jamerson / Funk Brothers on the original Jackie Wilson track? (Therefore could n't be a bum note.......!!!)

[quote name='casapete' post='1143418' date='Feb 27 2011, 03:32 PM']Regarding the OP, was n't it Jamerson / Funk Brothers on the original Jackie Wilson track? (Therefore could n't be a bum note.......!!!)[/quote]

Exactly......!

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1143342' date='Feb 27 2011, 02:22 PM']....I've never been sure of a certain note that Steve Cropper played on (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay....[/quote]
Anything could be happening on that track. I believe they only had a basic track and most of it was recorded after Otis died.

[quote name='casapete' post='1143418' date='Feb 27 2011, 03:32 PM']Saw Trevor in Waitrose last Thursday!

(Apparently he gets a bit fed up of bassists asking him about 'Jean Genie')

Regarding the OP, was n't it Jamerson / Funk Brothers on the original Jackie Wilson track? (Therefore could n't be a bum note.......!!!)[/quote]

A huge +1 to the authenticity of the human touch, mistakes n'all. About Jamerson - didn't Marvin Gaye haul JJ out of a bar absolutely rat - ar**d back to the studio, where he recorded What's Going On laying flat on his back on the studio floor ?

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1143918' date='Feb 27 2011, 10:01 PM']About Jamerson - didn't Marvin Gaye haul JJ out of a bar absolutely rat - ar**d back to the studio, where he recorded What's Going On laying flat on his back on the studio floor ?[/quote]
Yeah....that's how good he was.