Why become a member? ×

The Sweetest Feeling Jackie Wilson

essexbasscat

[quote name='casapete' post='1143418' date='Feb 27 2011, 03:32 PM']Saw Trevor in Waitrose last Thursday!

(Apparently he gets a bit fed up of bassists asking him about 'Jean Genie')

Regarding the OP, was n't it Jamerson / Funk Brothers on the original Jackie Wilson track? (Therefore could n't be a bum note.......!!!)[/quote]
Too right Pete. No such thing as a bum note (for me)!! Out of time note though......

[quote name='casapete' post='1143418' date='Feb 27 2011, 03:32 PM']Regarding the OP, was n't it Jamerson / Funk Brothers on the original Jackie Wilson track? (Therefore could n't be a bum note.......!!!)[/quote]
Jakcie Wilson's [i]Reet Petite[/i] was recorded in 1957 so (although it was co-written by Berry Gordy) it seems too early to be the Funk Bros/Jamerson.

However, they are usually credited with Jackie Wilson's [i]Higher and Higher[/i] but that was 1967.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1144000' date='Feb 27 2011, 11:00 PM']Jakcie Wilson's [i]Reet Petite[/i] was recorded in 1957 so (although it was co-written by Berry Gordy) it seems too early to be the Funk Bros/Jamerson.

However, they are usually credited with Jackie Wilson's [i]Higher and Higher[/i] but that was 1967.[/quote]

I believe 'I get the sweetest feeling' and also 'Higher and higher' was the FB's, with 'Reet Petite' , 'Lonely Teardrops' etc
from a much earlier period as you rightly point out, therefore unlikely any FB connections.

Incidentally, how about that slightly out of tune rhythm guitar on the intro of 'Higher and higher'?
Leaps out at me every time its played, but I still kinda like it!!

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1143918' date='Feb 27 2011, 10:01 PM']A huge +1 to the authenticity of the human touch, mistakes n'all. About Jamerson - didn't Marvin Gaye haul JJ out of a bar absolutely rat - ar**d back to the studio, where he recorded What's Going On laying flat on his back on the studio floor ?[/quote]

That's mentioned in the 'standing in the shadows of Motown book'. I think he composed the bass line lying down, I don't think he actually recorded it like that.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1144529' date='Feb 28 2011, 02:53 PM']That's mentioned in the 'standing in the shadows of Motown book'. I think he composed the bass line lying down, I don't think he actually recorded it like that.[/quote]

I must admit it is very cleanly played if he was bladdered. Even if he did compose it lying down, it's likely to have been recorded at the time and polished later. Does anyone remember ideas they've had when a bit the worse for wear ?

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1143128' date='Feb 27 2011, 11:00 AM']What do you think ? If you played this song on stage, would you include the bum note ? as played on the song ?[/quote]

I would put my own bum notes in.

Strange question to ask on BassChat. Don't most basschatters listen to the first bar and then make the rest up?

• 10 years later...