Why become a member? ×

When to Sell or to hold on to

Quoth'd

Before I go on I want to be clear that I'm not trying to sell here but am interested in opinions of others.

My question is this - of my meagre collection, I have two main basses that I use. Firstly a 5-string bass that I hardly play (although is by far the most expensive & highest spec) and another 4-string that is my run-to bass and no matter how hard I try - I pick it up every time I practice or jam as having tried both, I've found I prefer 4-strings & find them much more comfortable to play.

I've been trying to make up my mind if it's worth keeping the 5-string even though I hardly ever play it - but I find myself unsure of trying to sell it as I know it cost me a lot (over a grand) but I keep thinking is it worth it & how much would I have to write off just to sell it (& don't even get me started on ebay/paypal rip-off fees).

From those of you who have sold equipment - should you have to be prepared to make a huge loss on it if no one is interested / do you just hang onto it & see even if your not using it?

How do you go about getting a realistic value for something and at which point do you just say it's not worth it (or f**! it) lol.

Cheers for any opinions / advice.

(also apologies if this is posted in the wrong place)

[quote name='paul_5' post='1140581' date='Feb 24 2011, 10:31 PM']I've never regretted buying gear, only selling it.

Unless you're desperate for the money, or need to sell to upgrade kit then I'd keep it. You may find yourself thinking "I wish I hadn't sold XXX ten years ago", I know I have.[/quote]
I agree with Paul here

[quote name='JTUK' post='1140603' date='Feb 24 2011, 10:49 PM']If you don't use and it doesn't do anything for you.. sell it.

If you can't get the reasonable price and don't need to sell, then hang on until you can.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice - I wouldn't say any of my gear falls into the collector status (I have had some serious p0rn envy since joining this site) so will take your advice and give it a try but walk away if interest isn't good.

Watch this space :)

You obviously bought the five string because you felt you may have a need for it. Is it not worth persevering for a little longer? You may find that given a bit of time that it could work for you. I personally find it handy to have that extra B string and if I could only have one bass, it would probably be a five.

As said before, unless you are desperate for the money, hang on to it.

Re the price of basses, keep an eye on the for sale section to get a guide. Stuff will only sell at what it's really worth (on the day)

Maybe go to a few shops and try some different 5 stringers and see if you like them more than yours, if not then maybe you're just not into 5 strings generally.

I'd be tempted to put the 4 string away for a few weeks and force yourself to play the 5 and see if it grows on you... that way you're less likely to sell it and regret it later.

[quote name='Quoth'd' post='1140574' date='Feb 24 2011, 10:23 PM']I've been trying to make up my mind if it's worth keeping the 5-string even though I hardly ever play it - but I find myself unsure of trying to sell it as I know it cost me a lot (over a grand) but I keep thinking is it worth it & how much would I have to write off just to sell it (& don't even get me started on ebay/paypal rip-off fees).[/quote]

So don't sell it ... trade it.

I'm one of the sad people referred to above who collects and/or goes through loads of basses, so I have some practical experience in this area.

If you have a desirable high-end bass that just doesn't do it for you, swop it for another desirable high-end bass that offers you closer to what you want.

If your current bass cost you >£1000 and you're worried it will only now fetch £500 then don't worry, there are plenty of other Warwick owners out there. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1141028' date='Feb 25 2011, 11:56 AM']If your current bass cost you >£1000 and you're worried it will only now fetch £500 then don't worry, there are plenty of other Warwick owners out there. :)[/quote]

Why thank you so much you cheeky so 'n so :)

It's a Spector Euro 5 EX - although I did try out a Warwick 5 string at the same time & went with the spector because I felt the bottom B was tighter and more punchy whilst the Warwick's B felt too wobbly and wolly sounding for my taste.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1141028' date='Feb 25 2011, 11:56 AM']I'm one of the sad people referred to above who collects and/or goes through loads of basses, so I have some practical experience in this area.[/quote]

The First Step to sanity begins with the admission of powerlessness over GAS. :)

I think the trading idea is a good one.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='Quoth'd' post='1140771' date='Feb 25 2011, 07:25 AM']Thanks for the advice - I wouldn't say any of my gear falls into the collector status (I have had some serious p0rn envy since joining this site) so will take your advice and give it a try but walk away if interest isn't good.

Watch this space :)[/quote]

ha ha ..I say sell it as I have a bass that does not get played. I just need that little push to market it.
But I will not give it away.

Unfortunatley, a trade for me will bring in a bass that I have more than covered anyway. IMO.

[quote name='Quoth'd' post='1141049' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:12 PM']Why thank you so much you cheeky so 'n so :)

It's a Spector Euro 5 EX - although I did try out a Warwick 5 string at the same time & went with the spector because I felt the bottom B was tighter and more punchy whilst the Warwick's B felt too wobbly and wolly sounding for my taste.[/quote]

Now I understand your dilema. I've had 3 5-ers, one of which was a Spector Rebop. I sold the other two without a thought and no regrets. The Rebop only went when it became blindly obvious even to me that I didn't need a 5 and using one was just causing me problems I didn't need either. The difference is, I bought mine used from the US when the currency was in our favour and I easily got back what I paid for it. The only sense in which I regret selling it is I still look longingly at 4-string Spectors, but that hasn't translated into buying one - yet.

trade it with someone in the same boat - there's bound to be someone after a 5er with a nice 4 stringer to swap. Or sell it & use the proceeds to buy one to replace it - remembering that you'll (probably) get a lot more for your money buying secondhand.

I don't miss my Peavey 5 string or my alpine white thunderbird at all as I used the proceeds to buy a natural Thunderbird pro-V, which I have now probably used for as many gigs/rehearsals/jam nights since I got it in December than I had used both of the basses it replaced in the years I had them.

I recently bought a Spector Euro 5 because I love Spectors, and it was a great price. I've never really considered myself a 5 string player but I like the idea and though what the hell! Despite being an incredible instrument it sooned became apparent that I had no real use for a 5 string. I advertised on here to trade for a Euro 4 and made a deal within hours!