Why become a member? ×

What lightweight rig will give me a clear, warm sound ?

loweringthetone

Hi folks,

I'm searching for warm vintage pure tones with a bit of punch for a folkish/countryband Ive joined..My trusty GK microbass does nicely for small sessions, but the bigger gigs are a problem. Like many, I want to go lightweight. (The best rig ever was a Mesa 400+ with a 2x15. However, I almost slipped a disc carrying the damn things, so I probably have to avoid pure valve amps.)

I've tried several bass/amp/cab combinations but the lightweight modern amps/cabs just dont do it. Even fiddling with the EQ, they seem too clear, rather 'hard' and sometimes harsh, and they dont have the warmth. Ive tried combinations of Markbass LMII, + 210HT, Phil Jones suitacse + 4B, and hooked in an Aguilar GS112 to both amps. The LMII/Aguilar combination wasnt bad but lacked some clarity . Tried an Ashdown Mag 300 115 which seemed good. A Schoeder 1210 was just too damn loud ! Then, on Saturday night I heard this guy using a Trace head SP12(?) with a Aguilar GS112 and a Yamaha TRB5P bass.....and he had it.....the sound was well defined, cut through but was rich and warm......wow

Where should I go ? I have thought to

- Take a better course in EQ setting ?
- Bigger GK head ?
- Older head/combo ?
- Ashdown ?
- Should I go for 15" or perhaps Aguilar DB112 as speakers?
- Avoid neo speakers ?
- Try a new bass (present basses are a P bass(rosewood neck), G&L L2000 and occasionally an alembic epic).

Does anyone have any recommendations please..............?

Edited by loweringthetone

As you can see from my sig, most of my gear is not well known for its warm sound. However, the sansamp bass driver works wonders! as does a bit of light compression :) It might be worth finding somebody who can lend you some effects to try out with your rig. Apparently the markbass tube stuff is good for that too but I've not tried it myself

If you like the GK sound then its worth checking these out. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_mb_fusion.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_mb_fusion.htm[/url]
When funds allow I will be getting one. Paired with a barefaced cab. Can't get much lighter, with enough power to handle almost any situation.

[quote name='Magnolia' post='1136369' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:57 PM']If you like the GK sound then its worth checking these out. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_mb_fusion.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_mb_fusion.htm[/url][/quote]

Aha, they're finally out then haha. I'll be looking to get one of these soon and pair it with a couple of GK Neo 112s.

There's always the MB combos too.

[quote name='Magnolia' post='1136369' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:57 PM']If you like the GK sound then its worth checking these out. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_mb_fusion.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_mb_fusion.htm[/url]
When funds allow I will be getting one. Paired with a barefaced cab. Can't get much lighter, with enough power to handle almost any situation.[/quote]

Oooh tastee :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1136405' date='Feb 21 2011, 10:18 PM']Aha, they're finally out then haha. I'll be looking to get one of these soon and pair it with a couple of GK Neo 112s.

There's always the MB combos too.[/quote]

Looking at your sig I bet your back can't wait!

[quote name='Magnolia' post='1136500' date='Feb 21 2011, 11:04 PM']Looking at your sig I bet your back can't wait![/quote]

No kidding, my current rig weighs roughly the same as a fully grown planet. I only use one cab most of the time but hauling it to practices is still a royal pain in the ass. I love this rig and can't see me ever moving away from GK stuff, I've got no intentions of replacing it for gigging, but for practices and small acoustic-ish gigs, there's no need for a 1080w amp and even just one 4x10.

MB Fusion 500 and 2 Neo 112s: 64.5lbs.

2001RB-II and 2 410RBHs: 234.5lbs

Sounds good..

I use the TC RH450, and it can do classic and punchy using a touch of tubetone, along with 2 Bergantino AE112 cabs.
That way you could use one cab for small gigs and rehearsals.
There are a few TC's and various 112 cabs about second hand now.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1136567' date='Feb 21 2011, 11:55 PM']No kidding, my current rig weighs roughly the same as a fully grown planet. I only use one cab most of the time but hauling it to practices is still a royal pain in the ass. I love this rig and can't see me ever moving away from GK stuff, I've got no intentions of replacing it for gigging, but for practices and small acoustic-ish gigs, there's no need for a 1080w amp and even just one 4x10.

MB Fusion 500 and 2 Neo 112s: 64.5lbs.

2001RB-II and 2 410RBHs: 234.5lbs

Sounds good..[/quote]

I bet! Sometimes you just can't beat raw power!

I`ve a TC Classic 450, and have used it through both Marshall and Ampeg cabs, and can get a nice warm sound through either.

I`m currently in the same position, down-sizing weight-wise, and have gone for an Eden Nemesis 410 cab. 600 watts, 4 ohms, 104db sensitivity, £390 from The Bass Merchant (waiting on delivery from supplier). Add in my Sansamp BDDI and I`ll have all I need power and eq wise.

The Eden Nemesis range looks good, and speaking to Chris at The Bass Merchant yesterday, it seems they are very popular. I had a good chat with him about various brands/cabs, and from the info provided have gone with them. They do a 2x10, 2x12, 4x10 & 1x15 in the range.

I would simply go for the lightest speaker/amp combination and use something like a Bass Pod or Sansamp to warm up the tone a little. Believe it or not I use a Little Giant 1000 amp ( £249 brand new ) with a couple of Schroeder cabs- as long as I am using a good pre amp- Sansamp or XT Live I am effectively using the amp just for power. And very powerful it is too.

There is no reason for using a big heavy rig in the 21st century when lightweight rigs do the business absolutley fine. Just they are a little more fragile than an Ampeg or Marshall VBA 400 ( had one of these- my back thanks me for getting rid! )

[quote name='loweringthetone' post='1136313' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:20 PM']....I'm searching for warm vintage pure tones with a bit of punch for a folkish/countryband Ive joined....[/quote]
To me vintage means fat, warm and mud. One thing you never got back then was clarity or definition, unless you used a pick. Which is why they were so keen to get studio players to used them on record.

You've dismissed LM2 and Aguilar which I think is fat, warm and clear. With the amp flat and a little bass on the instrument I got one of the best modern "vintage" sounds I've heard in the last 5 years!

I would be after a LMll/lll at some point, but a cheap, but very good quality amp that can do warm and grindy..would be SWR SM amps through GS112's.

You would get enough low end but also the drive for a bit of character higher up.
The EQ on the amp is capable of going extreme as well.

SM400 upwards will do most gigs but you need the bass at 12, no more, as the sub bleeds power otherwise.
They fixed this useless feature, IMV, later on with the SM500.

Well, many thanks for all the ideas, and I hope the thread is useful to others in the same situation. I'll go back to my LMII and Aggie GS112 and listen again before trying out some of the other suggestions. Some folk like high clarity in their sound ( the Phil Jones does this is spades) but I guess I'm looking for the the rig to colour the sound to make it warm.

Two aspects not considered here is (i) the bass itself - the P bass gives the softest, the G&L L2000 the grindiest and the Epic the clearest sound... and (ii) the strings which can make a big difference - I use stadium elites

I might just pop a similar thread in the other forum sections for advice on these

Thanks again for all your help folks.

Edited by loweringthetone

From what you've said, that's pretty much the sound I was chasing.

I found 75% of it with a 'P' with La Bella F/S flats.

I've got a Littlemark III and although I bought the Berg' NV412 (I appreciate your MO of 'down-weighting'), the EX112ER (or the HT112ER if you need the tweeter) really are fabulous.

I think you can pretty much get that sound from those alone, without a VT or a BDDI, provided you employ the VLE and/or that other thing I can never remember the name of!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1136774' date='Feb 22 2011, 09:51 AM']I`ve a TC Classic 450, and have used it through both Marshall and Ampeg cabs, and can get a nice warm sound through either.[/quote]

Big +1 from me with this. I also have a TC Classic 450 and with a little tube tone blended in its super warm and nice and punchy. I love the simplicity of it too. I run mine through a Bergantino AE212 and the 2x12's give you something somewhere between the warmth of a 15 and the punch of 10's. I would be tempted to try the TC with a Barefaced Super 12 if weight is an issue.

Edited by mrtcat

[quote name='REDLAWMAN' post='1138521' date='Feb 23 2011, 01:28 PM']From what you've said, that's pretty much the sound I was chasing.

I found 75% of it with a 'P' with La Bella F/S flats.

I've got a Littlemark III and although I bought the Berg' NV412 (I appreciate your MO of 'down-weighting'), the EX112ER (or the HT112ER if you need the tweeter) really are fabulous.

I think you can pretty much get that sound from those alone, without a VT or a BDDI, provided you employ the VLE and/or that other thing I can never remember the name of![/quote]

Berg NV412 and a LMIII can do it for me :)

I'd recommend trying out a Laney Nexus NX115.

I'm an old school rock geezer but always like to keep the sound punchy and the Laney is perfect.

I play an Epiphone Gothic Thunderbird with EMG HZ pickups and Rotosound Flatwound strings into a GK 700RB II and the sound is incredible. Part of the reason I'm not on here quite as much as I used to be.

To the Op..?? lacking clarity..??

I guess that is hugely subjective and would depend on the signal the bass could produce.

I think 2 GS112 cabs can shift some serious air with the right amp and my sound can go through people. Even our drummer who is very powerful and rocky in his other bands comments that the bottom end is massive and loves it.

Mind you, I think the East pre on a bit of bass boost has a LOT to do with that but the cabs still have to produce it.

I really like the MB amps but haven't used them often enough in anger on gigs to decide whether it lacks down there ( haven't felt the need as the SWR SM is my go to amp, anyway ).. but the GS's certainly don't.

+1 to the Schroeder cabinets and a micro head.

Its basically going to come too:

GenzBenz Shuttle 6.0 or the LM2/3

When you try them out, youll probably find the little mark the warmer, especially when you leave it flat and use the filters.

If its warmest your after, the little mark will best suit.

However, the shuttle 6 is a great bit of gear, and personally i'd pick it over the two. Very transparent amp, however that mid control can give any tone on demand.

Those Schroeder cabinets are amazing. You need to try one out then youll understand. The also have a lowmid freq. Bump which youd probably like.

Yeah the Schroeder cabs are pretty remarkable- take a little while to break in but the volume from this little cab (s) is extreme and a little surreal.

Using an XT Live Bass Pod to warm up the tone but really dont need it- think I need to use less colouring- probably just the compressor ( pretty awesome piece of kit ), couple of effects and the tuner are so useful.

Fingers + Bass + amp + speaker- really all that is required.

Have found that the tone changes so much when the cabs are being driven too.