Why become a member? ×

Is it possible to have a successful covers band that doesn't play Mustang Sally?

jmstone

I say this everytime this thread comes up, so apologies for repaeating myself, but the undercurrent of musical 'snobbery' in these threads really winds me up.

Mustang Sally is a great song. If it weren't then it would not have survived as one of the all time great crowd pleasers. This is not 'flash in the pan' popularity but a song that has stood the test of time.

All Right Now is another one of these, a classic and great rock song that it has become trendy for some here to knock and look down their noses at.

Personally I like to play slightly less common songs (there are a lot of good songs out there), but you have to accept that you are, generally (there are always exceptions), going to get fewer gigs that way, and the more obscure the songs the fewer gigs you'll get.

I would not slag off another band for playing these popular songs, and I certainly would not slag off the song as being a bad one. Bad songs do not get played regularly for 30 or 40 years!

Neither would I slag off a band for choosing not to play such songs. It's the slight air of superiority which annoys me.

As for Mustang Sally or All Right Now, I'd be proud to have written either of them.

PS: I've never played Mustang Sally out, but have played All Right Now.

Edited by Count Bassy

I don't think not wanting to play certain songs has anything to do with snobbery. It's more to do with not wanting to play/murder/get bored/become suicidal over songs that have plagued clubs and pubs for nearly half a century. From what I saw on NYE's it's only women of a certain age and of a certain alcohol intake that dance to these supposed standards.

It's not about wanting to play obscure stuff to 'educate' punters. I left a band after half a dozen practices as they were insistent on playing All Right Now. Why? Have some imagination. Give the audience some credit. Play popular but not obvious. I also think it's somewhat lazy of supposedly self professed 'good musicians' to be playing predictable sets I see a lot of them around my way. One guy around my way thinks he's a great performer and said to me one night "we do All Right Now but give it our own spin". Yeah, he f@cking murders it and it sounds dreadful, because it is a good song unfortunately massacred by 40 years of weekend warriors.

Re Mustang Sally: we play it mabye every 2nd gig but only if it`s a few tasty girls doing the backing vocals on it. No girls, no Mustang. Shallow and a bit sexist but honest. The girls love it and so do we.

I think that to be a succesfull covers band, you have to play songs that people know. You want to play the songs as well as you can, have a good time and give the punters a good time. There is no point in playing songs by obscure artists that people are not familiar with. There are plenty of bands that are scratching their ar*e or playing in the rehersal studio`s because they can`t get a gig.

If you can get bookings playing more obscure stuff, good on ya!

Jez

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1129993' date='Feb 16 2011, 06:10 PM']I say this everytime this thread comes up, so apologies for repaeating myself, but the undercurrent of musical 'snobbery' in these threads really winds me up.

Mustang Sally is a great song. If it weren't then it would not have survived as one of the all time great crowd pleasers. This is not 'flash in the pan' popularity but a song that has stood the test of time.

All Right Now is another one of these, a classic and great rock song that it has become trendy for some here to knock and look down their noses at.

Personally I like to play slightly less common songs (there are a lot of good songs out there), but you have to accept that you are, generally (there are always exceptions), going to get fewer gigs that way, and the more obscure the songs the fewer gigs you'll get.

I would not slag off another band for playing these popular songs, and I certainly would not slag off the song as being a bad one. Bad songs do not get played regularly for 30 or 40 years!

Neither would I slag off a band for choosing not to play such songs. It's the slight air of superiority which annoys me.

As for Mustang Sally or All Right Now, I'd be proud to have written either of them.

PS: I've never played Mustang Sally out, but have played All Right Now.[/quote]

Speaking as someone who writes songs, I wouldn't be proud to have written Mustang Sally as it's not what I'm aiming for. I don't like it at all & never have. I won't argue whether it's a good or bad song though; it's certainly popular enough. Wouldn't mind the money though. :) All Right Now I love, but I personally hate seeing people murder it, as 99% of them do. In fact if I'm honest one of the reasons I don't like most cover bands and have always been so reluctant to be in one is because most of them either play songs I don't like or murder the ones I do (or both). Sadly my band (assuming we can replace our recently cover-band departed drummer and my shoulders hold out!) may have to go the cover route soon due to lack of gigs, but I'm fairly certain we'll end up murdering a load of my favourite songs too, so I'll also be guilty as charged.

Personally I'd far sooner watch a bunch of kids playing their own music very badly than watch a cover band. I sometimes wish it wasn't the case (every time I go into my local for a start) but sadly it isn't.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1130027' date='Feb 16 2011, 06:30 PM']I don't think not wanting to play certain songs has anything to do with snobbery. It's more to do with not wanting to play/murder/get bored/become suicidal over songs that have plagued clubs and pubs for nearly half a century. From what I saw on NYE's it's only women of a certain age and of a certain alcohol intake that dance to these supposed standards.

It's not about wanting to play obscure stuff to 'educate' punters. I left a band after half a dozen practices as they were insistent on playing All Right Now. Why? Have some imagination. Give the audience some credit. Play popular but not obvious. I also think it's somewhat lazy of supposedly self professed 'good musicians' to be playing predictable sets I see a lot of them around my way. One guy around my way thinks he's a great performer and said to me one night "we do All Right Now but give it our own spin". Yeah, he f@cking murders it and it sounds dreadful, because it is a good song unfortunately massacred by 40 years of weekend warriors.[/quote]

Ah, you beat me to it. :)

Edited by 4000

This is exactly so scenario we said we wouldn't go down. we didn't want to do Mustang, Brown eyed girl etc etc.
So we try, and I emphasise try to do the less well known songs, We will rock you by Queen, the rockier live version from Live killers album. Bad Day by REM, Plug in baby by Muse, Whole lotta rosie by Acdc etc etc, and they go down well.
Sure, we do some usuals like Summer of 69, You really got me and One way or another, but we balance that out with Hedonism by Skunk Anansie.
And as for the modern songs, Hot n Cold by Katy Perry and Pokerface etc are all beefed up with heavier riffs and rocked out just to give it an edge.
So with all that we do not bad with bookings, we have 20 so far this year and did just over 20 last year, so some folk must like it. Either that or they're not fussy what they hear!!
Basically, no, you don't have to do Mustang Sally is what I'm saying.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1130027' date='Feb 16 2011, 06:30 PM']I don't think not wanting to play certain songs has anything to do with snobbery. It's more to do with not wanting to play/murder/get bored/become suicidal over songs that have plagued clubs and pubs for nearly half a century. From what I saw on NYE's it's only women of a certain age and of a certain alcohol intake that dance to these supposed standards.

It's not about wanting to play obscure stuff to 'educate' punters. I left a band after half a dozen practices as they were insistent on playing All Right Now. Why? Have some imagination. Give the audience some credit. Play popular but not obvious. I also think it's somewhat lazy of supposedly self professed 'good musicians' to be playing predictable sets I see a lot of them around my way. One guy around my way thinks he's a great performer and said to me one night "we do All Right Now but give it our own spin". Yeah, he f@cking murders it and it sounds dreadful, because it is a good song unfortunately massacred by 40 years of weekend warriors.[/quote]

I'll go with this....but by the same token I don't care.
Our set is our set...and it isn't loaded with standards, I don't think, and we aren't going to play what so many other bands play for the simple reasons, we don't need to or want to.

For example, I am trying to ditch Talking Heads version of 'Take me to the river' which is
along the same lines as Mustrang Sally for popular round here, IMO.. Heard it enough and played it enough, thanks..
We originally did it for a function and it has hung around, unfortunately.

We get enough gigs and we get a good response and we are happy with that.
If I dep a gig and the standards come up then I'll play them as well as I can, I'll just be thankful I don't have to do that week-in week-out.
You either get booked doing what you do, or you don't...your call, but one or two places round here have banned lists of certain numbers and Mustang is on it, as it happens. In fact she did not used to book bands who played it. :)

It shouldn't be beyond some bands to play what they like well enough to win a crowd round but I get fed up playing certain songs so I doubt I'll be that knocked out to hear others do them to death.

I don't know what that makes me, but when I watch a band I am a punter as well...so...???

[quote name='Martin E' post='1130065' date='Feb 16 2011, 07:00 PM']We're playing at a surprise 60th birthday party soon and have been asked to play............ a couple of Shadows numbers![/quote]

Get your fingers into Nivram. Great Jet Harris walking bass line.

One guy around my way thinks he's a great performer and said to me one night "we do All Right Now but give it our own spin". Yeah, he f@cking murders it and it sounds dreadful, because it is a good song unfortunately massacred by 40 years of weekend warrior

Lol classic!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1130120' date='Feb 16 2011, 07:41 PM']I don't know what that makes me, but when I watch a band I am a punter as well...so...???[/quote]

+1. Couldn't agree more. I think there's a perception that "people" want specific songs, but which people? And if they're never presented with anything else how can anyone actually tell that's what they really want? I know people who'd sooner hear a million other things than the typical standards. They're punters too. How many people actually have a record collection that solely consists of the typical cover band set? I don't know any!

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='1130313' date='Feb 16 2011, 09:48 PM']+1. Couldn't agree more. I think there's a perception that "people" want specific songs, but which people? And if they're never presented with anything else how can anyone actually tell that's what they really want? I know people who'd sooner hear a million other things than the typical standards. They're punters too. How many people actually have a record collection that solely consists of the typical cover band set? I don't know any![/quote]

When you hear many bands do the same songs over and over, you get a bit fed up with them all. So when I see a pub band etc, I want to hear something different, not always stuff that nobody has heard of, but stuff you dont hear all to often. Songs that make you think..."hey, I remember that"

[quote name='Jambo10' post='1130342' date='Feb 16 2011, 10:16 PM']When you hear many bands do the same songs over and over, you get a bit fed up with them all. So when I see a pub band etc, I want to hear something different, not always stuff that nobody has heard of, but stuff you dont hear all to often. Songs that make you think..."hey, I remember that"[/quote]

Yes. Despite what I said above I do too, but then we of Basschat are not a representative sample of the typical pub audience.
As musicians ourselves we probably look for something slightly different than the typical weekend pub crowd (and as bass players we actually notice the bass line - but that's a different thread).

I, and I'm sure most of us, have seen the lift that an audience gets when it hears a good old favourite (especially if it's a sing-along song) start up, both from the floor and from the stage. Mustang Sally and All Right Now being prime examples. If you want to get the audience going then throw a few of the standards in early on. Leave the less well known stuff till they're warmed up and oiled.

Of course the definition of good old favourite does depend on who the audience is, particularly their age.

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1130391' date='Feb 16 2011, 10:47 PM']Yes. Despite what I said above I do too, but then we of Basschat are not a representative sample of the typical pub audience.
As musicians ourselves we probably look for something slightly different than the typical weekend pub crowd (and as bass players we actually notice the bass line - but that's a different thread).

I, and I'm sure most of us, have seen the lift that an audience gets when it hears a good old favourite (especially if it's a sing-along song) start up, both from the floor and from the stage. Mustang Sally and All Right Now being prime examples. If you want to get the audience going then throw a few of the standards in early on. Leave the less well known stuff till they're warmed up and oiled.

Of course the definition of good old favourite does depend on who the audience is, particularly their age.[/quote]

Oh Im not disagreeing with you. We play All Right Now, and it goes down a storm.
My point being that its not wrong to be a little different with the setlist. If every band did the same songs, albeit good stomping ones that everyone loves, then the bands get lost to the punters, as in, it doesn't matter who the band is, the punters will hear the same songs. We want people to hear songs that other bands might not do, but are still famous in their own right, and, hopefully, people will remember us, and hopefully for the right reasons.
So the old faavourites are smattered in and around the set. You always need some.
Again, different venues define the set, sometimes its full of 60s-80s stuff, other times more modern.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1129993' date='Feb 16 2011, 10:10 AM']Bad songs do not get played regularly for 30 or 40 years![/quote]
Oh yes they do :)

A band member once said to me playing in a cover band because you love music is like working in a slaughterhouse because you love animals. I've always felt that nailed it. Personally I could never play Mustang Sally without a paycheck much larger than you could get for a real job.

To the original question, yes you can play covers and not play the same thing all the other bands do. But you must be good enough to succeed on more than simple recognition of tunes as you'll lose that gimmick.

I have seen great cover bands work their versions of the tired cliches. Bourbon Street in New Orleans always has great cover bands but all the covers are reworked extensively.

[quote name='Jambo10' post='1130342' date='Feb 16 2011, 02:16 PM']When you hear many bands do the same songs over and over, you get a bit fed up with them all.[/quote]
Some blame the homogenization of bad cover bands on the loss of live music and the rise of the DJ. Out here in San Francisco so many bookers don't see why they should hire a band to do a fraction of what a DJ can do for less money and only one ego.

Gotta run to do a gig, covers we'll play tonight are Person to Person by AWB, I Wish by Stevie Wonder & Last Child by Aerosmith. The rest are originals.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='1129536' date='Feb 16 2011, 12:48 PM']Good one Pete- I dont think it is that bad a song but when you have been doing this song for over 30 years it feels a bit like a groundhog day moment!
How are you doing anyway?- think you did a do at the Willerby Manor last week- we did the night after you- another black tie do - lots of money in there. The usual suspects.[/quote]

Hey Bob - am good thanks. Yeah it was us at W.Manor, usual carry on etc (and yes we did play Mustang Sally!)
Good to see you fellas still doing it in these hard times, all the best mate.

We have managed to do alright without playing the "expected" covers. We sometimes get asked for them but say we don't know them. :)

There are loads of other songs that will get the room jumping. I think that people come to see us for what we do and not a band churning out the usual suspects.

[quote name='jmstone' post='1129722' date='Feb 16 2011, 03:00 PM']Wow! Didn't expect to hear this - very interesting!

Did you have to buy your own PA etc. for these gigs? And how did you go about getting the gigs originally?

James[/quote]

We were a 5-piece band and the singer owned the PA. We didn't have a demo CD or even a band website, but set the ball rolling by doing 2 or 3 "mates rates" gigs at a local frequented by our 2 guitarists - we then asked the landlord to be a reference for us when we booked other venues - he did and it took off from there.

I have to say, I'm not that big a fan of indie music, so a lot of the stuff we played I'd never heard before, but I enjoyed the challenge of having to learn those songs completely cold. We also dropped in some late 70's/early '80's punk and new wave - we sometimes opened with the Sex Pistols "Pretty Vacant" - that went down a storm!

Not everything we played was obscure and I think if you can mix those songs with enough songs that at least most of your audience are familiar with, you'll get away with it.

[quote name='lojo' post='1130821' date='Feb 17 2011, 12:04 PM']Sex on fire is the new Mustang Sally[/quote]

Absolutely...... virtually every wedding gig we done last year we were asked for Sex on Fire..... we don't play that or MS. Screw the punters... as long as I get my Lasagne and a flash of Bridesmaid gusset I'm happy

[quote name='gub' post='1129956' date='Feb 16 2011, 05:50 PM']We play a few of the usual suspects like sweet home but also just about to do rain by the cult which i have never heard a cover band do , but you lot may have heard ut loads who knows , also been suggested are in to the valley .[/quote]

We do Rain in Angel Of Sin. It lends itself to 3-part harmonies in the pre-chorus and chorus, and goes down really well. Best of luck with it, it is still a rare cover.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1130512' date='Feb 17 2011, 01:20 AM']Oh yes they do :D

A band member once said to me playing in a cover band because you love music is like working in a slaughterhouse because you love animals. I've always felt that nailed it.[/quote]

:) :) :lol: Genius!

The thing is, how many popular songs are there out there? How many that could potentially go down a storm? Hundreds of thousands? So why do many cover bands have a set list 99% the same as each other? I personally suspect this perception is perpetuated by cover bands themselves, not punters.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='1130955' date='Feb 17 2011, 01:11 PM']:) :) :lol: Genius!

The thing is, how many popular songs are there out there? How many that could potentially go down a storm? Hundreds of thousands? So why do many cover bands have a set list 99% the same as each other? I personally suspect this perception is perpetuated by cover bands themselves, not punters.[/quote]

For sure, it is a lack of imagination at least, IMV..the need to play safe.. why..??

If I talk to a lot of my freinds when they ask about what do we play, I tell them and they always sound positive.

When you ask what they like these days... their tastes are hugely varied and no one says 60's Stax/Atlantic RnB etc etc ( nothing wrong with those numbers, of course, in themselves)
and yet, that is the staple diet round here. The younger bands will do KOL and the like.

We just do what we like. Of course, you need one ear on what is a good song and what will work, but something different just
means we can be a slow burner on a gig.. but by the end of it, all is forgiven ha ha !! That has been our experience so we trust our choices and we need to want to play it as well.

What other bands chose to do is up to them..but being much of a muchness can mean you are popular----ish from day one, but then
people go off you as they hear the set so often.

Very simplistic, but that is the way I find it.