Why become a member? ×

The Great Bass Census

Bankai

First Bass Owned: Chinese Squire P bought in early '90s
'Go To' Bass: JV Squire P
'Your' Bass: JV Squire P

I keep buying and selling basses because like most here there's always some flavour of the month that gets the GAS going, but nothing feels or sounds as 'right' as the JV for me (could be a psychological thing)

First bass: Westfield Precision copy
'Go to bass': Fender Precision 1978
My bass: Fender Precision 1978

I rarely use the Fender nowadays for gigs etc, but if and when I ever get called up for a blind gig with strangers or a new project and I am unaware of the style of music that would be played, I would have to go for the Fender, as it never looks or sounds out of place.

• 1 month later...

First Bass Owned: K precision copy
'Go To' Bass: I'm cheating in the context of the original question but: my home made twin neck. If I had to cut it in half I'd take the fretted side.
'Your' Bass: See above only the sound that is more specific to me comes from the fretless side. (Fretless precision with black nylon strings)

[quote name='Bankai' post='1127808' date='Feb 15 2011, 12:23 AM']Hello. I decided to start this for my own interest but I suppose it'll prove interesting for most of us.

What I'd like you to do is copy the form below and reply with it filled in. In a couple of weeks I'll collate the responses and we'll see what's out there!

-Your [b]first bass[/b] is fairly self explanatory.
-Your [b]go-to bass[/b] means the one bass you'd take to cover all bases in a way. For example you get called to a gig blind and you need a reliable workhorse that'll be able to do anything and work well.
-And [b]'Your' / signature bass[/b] means the bass that gives you YOUR tone, The one bit of wood that's your signature.

You can only put ONE bass for each category, no matter how much it might pain you!

[b]
First Bass Owned:
'Go To' Bass:
'Your' Bass:
[/b]

EDIT: Thanks for all the replies so far, please make sure you only give ONE bass for each answer, and that you answer all categories, otherwise I can't use your infos :)[/quote]

Easy

Jazz bass Japan still have a nice bass!
Jazz bass USA
Jazz bass USA

First Bass Owned: A bloody awful 'Avon' Gibson EB0 copy. Very quickly replaced by a 1982 JV Fender Squier 57 P bass.

'Go To' Bass: Status Streamline, does it all basically.

'Your' Bass: EB Musicman Stingray, 4 strings only, 3 band, no bloody pre-EB and only one pup!