Why become a member? ×

acoustic sessions???

minkey1980

So acoustic sessions are seemingly in demand down our way at the minute and I only have my standard basses while everyone else changes to their acoustic instruments - even the ex punk drummer changes his sticks to those horses tail ones...

so I was wondering - what do you guys use for acoustic sessions?

I have looked at acoustic basses but never been impressed with any as you still have to plug and they just look wrong but open to suggestions? and having played fretless before this also seems to give a very acoustic sound...or do you just stick with the guitar in hand and watch everyone else carry more than one instrument to the gig?

let me know your thoughts.

thanks in advance.

I have an acoustic for situations where it looks better if everyone is on them although at a local acoustic jam night Im the only acoustic bass player everyone else uses a house Jazz copy through the pa. Its yet another gold star situation for lightweight amps too, I recently did an acoustic slot on a local radio show and took my Ray5 (needed 5 strings, Yes [i]needed[/i]. Ha)Genz head and a 1x10 cab. The mix was awful out in listener land anyway so fussing over a rig sound wasnt a problem but it was easy enough to carry around and set up, A week later the same 600W head was doing the backline through a 600w 4ohm 2x12 at an electric gig as the hired pa blew both crossovers. Brilliant tool.

For the last 4 years I've played with an acoustic guitarist and use the same electric bass, same 500 watt amp and just one of my AE112 cabs. The only concession I make is to turn it down and take some top off. The guitarist plays finger style, mostly instrumental ragtime, blues, jazz and originals. I just lock in to the rhythm side of his playing as I would if there was a drummer in the band.

If I could find a good 5 string electro acoustic bass (Rob Allen, Rick Turner) I'd use it but they seem to be pretty hard to come by at a reasonable price.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='minkey1980' post='1125719' date='Feb 13 2011, 10:05 AM']So acoustic sessions are seemingly in demand down our way at the minute and I only have my standard basses while everyone else changes to their acoustic instruments - even the ex punk drummer changes his sticks to those horses tail ones...

so I was wondering - what do you guys use for acoustic sessions?

I have looked at acoustic basses but never been impressed with any as you still have to plug and they just look wrong but open to suggestions? and having played fretless before this also seems to give a very acoustic sound...or do you just stick with the guitar in hand and watch everyone else carry more than one instrument to the gig?

let me know your thoughts.

thanks in advance.[/quote]

I do three of these a month.
I do have an acoustic bass but rarely take it along to any of these sessions - as you say, you still have to plug it in to stand a chance of being heard.

When I bought my new rig I intentionally went for a 2x10 in amongst it so I just use that and tuck it in a corner somewhere if it looks an 'eyesore'.
Instrument wise, I use an EUB and a 6er that 'looks the part' as it has a nice spalted maple top and doesn't clash with the acoustic guitar colours.

So, keep it as compact as possible, blend in (leave the fluorescent pink Explorer at home) and be aware that you can very easily swamp the other instruments out.
If you're at all concerned about whether this is acceptable or not, just ask the organiser, I've yet to find one who's not gone for it! :)

If it's proper acoustic,then it has to be the upright,because an acoustic bass guitar just isn't loud enough.
How ever if it's 'acoustic',which a lot of bands seem to think is the same as normal but slightly quieter with an acoustic guitar,then you may as well use an electric,as you're going to be plugging in anyway.

BigRoom is an acoustic band (as such) & I use my Ibby plugged into all my fx (& actually use em) & then into my 2x10 combo.
The venues we do have a decent sized stage, giving us all room to play. The others in the band are vocal/guitar/banjo, mandolin/ukulele/whistles/percussion & a drummer/percussion/keys.

I fancy getting a fretless but that's just so I can make weirder bass sounds. I would try to avoid the typical 80s sound.

I play a few Wine-tasting and Cheese tours for retired wealthy patrons and the sight of a plastic Fender bass won't cut it for them. I have an Ibanez SR500 - and it is more acceptable, but really to satisfy the audience, I use my Ibanez AEB10.

It just fits their mental image and I have no troubles playing it through an amp - the same amp I'd use for a Fender - so it's all good.

Really - an AEB is just fine for most venues anyway - it can do a lot of tone-things that a slab cannot and most that they can, and I really want (on one hand) but actually eschew the premise of using an URB. Big, fragile and although it is THE icon for jazz, it's too large to truck to the gig for me anyway.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

My 'acoustic' band doesn't use electric guitars but the acoustic guitars/mandolin/ukulele are amplified and we do have a drummer who mixes sticks and brushes and sometimes acts more as a percussionist than as a drummer.

I usually use an EUB and/or a fretless Precision and a Mesa Walkabout combo.

I am thinking about a fretless acoustic bass but it will be amplified just the same.

I use a Washburn AB20. Had it for 15 years, sounds great with acoustic guitars.
I plug it into the PA, or sometimes use it with a GK or MB head into whatever cab I have.
Sometimes wish it was fretless for more woody sounds, but overall think it does the job fine.

Mine is a shortscale Hohner and I've had it for years. I defretted it a while ago and recently put flatwounds on it. I'm using it for a local radio spot later this year, and there's a chance the engineer will just mike it up - perhaps not the best idea, I'm trying to wangle taking my Ampeg pre so that the listeners actually hear some bottom end.