Why become a member? ×

Bass packing tips

Mr. Foxen

Since that other thread was disappointing in regards to actual info on how to pack a bass, share your tips here. I've send a fair few basses now, and done ok for damage.

Pack like the courier is planning on damaging it.

If they are OK with shipping with the neck off, do it. Shorter, but still weird shaped package. Bubble wrap the neck and body separately, then attach them together, in such a way what hardware isn't going to scratch or gouge, and with the tuners facing 'inwards' as it were, they are a weak point. I tend to masking tape the neck plate and screws in the neck pocket. It also makes it look a bunch less like an easily Cash Convertible musical instrument.

Masking tape the innermost packaging rather than parcel tape, no stickiness on the bass (I often masking tape rolled up bubble wrap to key areas, before the wrap around part). Also means easier to open up, less temptation for risky sharp things close to the bass.

Take off the strap pegs. A good dropping will hammer these into the body wood, best taken right off.

Wrap a bunch of packing and some card around the machine heads, then pack the whole thing over that, they are such a weak point.

Cling film is really handy for securing things together, but it isn't protective against much. Cling filming various parts together is great, but they still need some sort of impact protection.

Loosen the strings, and put something between them and the body/neck, they can fairly easily get hammered into the frets or other hardware.

Bubblewrap - I use a lot of it, as people who've received basses from me will testify to :)

I start with a good box, and you can normally have one from your local music shop if you ask nicely. Use heavy duty tape to not only seal it, but support any weak spots (e.g. corners, etc). Remember, critically, to make which way up you expect the item to be stacked - neck first will not be healthy!

In terms of the bass, communicate with the buyer - make your clear your plans and get their agreement; especially important if you're doing things like taking the neck off. Bubble wrap and card will support sensitive areas nicely.

Also think about how the bass will move in the case - will parts rub, like tuning pegs, strap knobs, etc, and adjust your packing to cover. I don't know if people collect old shopping bags when they're done at Tescos, but scrunched up they're useful to 'pack out' the box and secure the bass - alongside styrofoam, shredded card, etc.

And, thinking out loud, loosen the strings!

protect the main areas. card between strings and fingerboard (no loose strings flappin around scratchin pups and that), protect the back of the neck, pad around the controls, basic scratch proofing on the body, maybe some padding around the nut, gig bag, bubble wrap, box (homemade). failing that, a nardcase.;

Edited by lettsguitars

It’s only common sense, but like they say, always send a bass how you'd like to receive it.

Always send a bass in a hard case and then box the case. The only bass I've sent by post was in a case then surrounded by expanded polystyrene sheets then put in a bicycle cardboard box.

No way was DHL damaging that bass!

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1117283' date='Feb 6 2011, 01:39 AM']we're not delivering eggs. i had a bass destroyed on the way to the usa, but for the uk, just stick it in a [b]nenvelope[/b].[/quote]
[quote]protect the main areas. card between strings and fingerboard (no loose strings flappin around scratchin pups and that), protect the back of the neck, pad around the controls, basic scratch proofing on the body, maybe some padding around the nut, gig bag, bubble wrap, box (homemade). failing that, a [b]nardcase[/b].;[/quote]
Am I missing something here? :) :)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='1117441' date='Feb 6 2011, 10:39 AM']....Just about to courier an old rack case.....how would you suggest I wrap it? Not being funny , genuinely would like to know as it would seem a bit daft giving it too much unnecessary protection?....[/quote]
I don't understand your logic; "too much unnecessary protection?"

The item should arrive in exactly the condition that it left you. That's just logical, surely? And that won't happen unless you box it.

The idiots that work in the courier industry seem to delight in breaking and damaging what they are carrying so I don’t believe that the correct mount of protection is unnecessary!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='1117441' date='Feb 6 2011, 10:39 AM']Just about to courier an old rack case.....how would you suggest I wrap it? Not being funny , genuinely would like to know as it would seem a bit daft giving it too much unnecessary protection?
I was thinking cardboard outer, make sure all catches are taped shut and that's it?[/quote]
I recently had one delivered to me, wrapped in bubble wrap, which was taped tightly into place. This was then place in a thick cardboard box, with the voids filled with shredded cardboard and bubble wrap. The packaging looked as though it had been pelted with house-bricks, and then used as a seat for a tired elephant by the time it got to me, but the case itself was in pristine condition. It pays to be a bit careful these days. :)

Looking at this from a different angle, I recently traded a Status bass with a guy from NI and packed it rather well. It arrived and the guy sent me an e mail almost bemoaning the fact that it took him 30 mins to unwrap the bass. Needless to say, it arrived in one piece.

You can`t please everyone.

Jez

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1117278' date='Feb 6 2011, 01:26 AM']protect the main areas. card between strings and fingerboard (no loose strings flappin around scratchin pups and that), protect the back of the neck, pad around the controls, basic scratch proofing on the body, maybe some padding around the nut, gig bag, bubble wrap, box (homemade). failing that, a [b]nardcase[/b].;[/quote]
[u]Strange but true part 1[/u]:

I used to know someone with the name Bernard Case. He was known as 'Nardcase'.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1117501' date='Feb 6 2011, 11:42 AM']with the voids filled with shredded cardboard[/quote]

Bah, I hate this, shredded card or paper or chips make a terrible mess when unpacking, and unless you really cram them, they settle. If you do cram them, they proper explode out when you release them. Shredded card is heavy too.

I've shipped a couple of valve heads internationally, one to Australia, one to USA. The one to the USA - a Hiwatt 200 - was double boxed, firstly in a box bought from HiwattMG (£26 for a cardboard box :) ) with poly corner protectors & the gaps filled with Quavers. Gaffa'd to hell, then put into a specially made to size cardboard box with a 4" gap on all six sides that was filled with polystyrene wall tiles. It was the size of a medium sized coffin when it was done.

When it arrived in the USA it still had the mains indicator lamp smashed! :)

Guy next door works as a claims handler for TNT & has an interesting take on packing guitars. "If it looks like a box we treat it like a box, if it looks like a guitar we treat it like a guitar". In summary he recommends a triple layer of big-cap bubble wrap with the case handle exposed because then it gets picked up & put down as opposed to slung around when it's moved. He also says big-cap offers greater impact protection than even tri-wall cardboard.

I use a box if I can get one, just makes me feel better I guess but failing that my free supply of big-cap sees plenty of action.

[quote name='Macko1968' post='1117857' date='Feb 6 2011, 05:05 PM']....Guy next door works as a claims handler for TNT & has an interesting take on packing guitars. "If it looks like a box we treat it like a box,....[/quote]
So he thinks it's OK for his goons to mistreat packages because they look like a box? No wonder couriers have the reputation of being Neanderthals!