Why become a member? ×

Not a music noob so which bass is right for me?

zeke_bloke

Hi, I've been playing guitar for 5 years and I'm fairly adept at it, I want to try another instrument now and ive decided on bass.

I'm starting a band with friends and I want a fat rich sound not too trebly that will punch through and really fill out space. If a bassist taking up guitar asked me a similiar question I'd put them onto a Les Paul so what's the bass world got to offer to that will do that?

I'm thinking of pairing my new bass with an orange tiny terror 1000watt head if that makes a difference and my budget will be about £800 for the bass

[quote name='zeke_bloke' post='1116113' date='Feb 5 2011, 01:38 AM']Hi, I've been playing guitar for 5 years and I'm fairly adept at it, I want to try another instrument now and ive decided on bass.

I'm starting a band with friends and I want a fat rich sound not too trebly that will punch through and really fill out space. If a bassist taking up guitar asked me a similiar question I'd put them onto a Les Paul so what's the bass world got to offer to that will do that?

I'm thinking of pairing my new bass with an orange tiny terror 1000watt head if that makes a difference and my budget will be about £800 for the bass[/quote]

Buy my USA Fender '57 RI if you like the road worn/relic look with a great tone/grunt. Well, it's worth a try. :)

The Precision is the classic bass that perhaps best fits the description of the sound you're after, but like the Les Paul there are plenty of others about that will hit the spot and maybe even do a better job.

An MIJ P would be a good choice and well within budget if you buy used, and if you decide it's not for you you'll easily be able to shift it for what you paid. The same applies to a US one of course, but an MIJ probably represents better value with no loss in quality.

P-Bass FTW. As previous posters have noted, there are options MIA, CIJ, etc, but with your budget you'll be able to pick a nice one. You have an appointment at your nearest well-stocked music shop, as you know guitars you'll be able to choose a good instrument of the quality you need.

Looking for value for money?? There are lots of really good Warwicks on the "for sale" thread - they'll do everything that the P Basses will do and a whole lot more. Secondhand prices for Warwicks are rediculously low at the moment so you'll get a lot of bass for little outlay..

wow, 9 responses without a 'go to a shop' comment, guess i'll have to make it then.

The most obvious suggestion i can think of, assuming you're able to, is to go to a bass shop and go try as many as you can until the owners chuck you out, so that you can actually find out which one you want for yourself. If you're in london, then i'd highly recommend spending an afternoon at the bass gallery in camden. A great shop, with a superb of basses, and guys in there who're always happy to help and let you try out lots of things.

Edited by Zach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1116623' date='Feb 5 2011, 03:33 PM']A used Jazz bass or a used Stingray. Both within budget and would resell well should you choose to (shudder) not carry on.

MusicMan Stingray... the bass that will allow you to just plug in and play and always sound good :)[/quote]
This man speaks sense you know :)

I'd go Warwick probably, aim for a $$ but failing that anything active. Trace T-basses are great too if you can find one. Unless you want a trad looking bass in which case I'd aim for a p or an active j of some discription. There are better playing basses than fenders out there though. Ooh I almost forgot the almighty and cheap t-40, or an aria SB from the 80s? Both are very versatile.

[quote name='cocco' post='1117611' date='Feb 6 2011, 01:11 PM']I'd go Warwick probably, aim for a $$ but failing that anything active. Trace T-basses are great too if you can find one. Unless you want a trad looking bass in which case I'd aim for a p or an active j of some discription. There are better playing basses than fenders out there though. Ooh I almost forgot the almighty and cheap t-40, or an aria SB from the 80s? Both are very versatile.[/quote]

where do you see cheap T-40s?
The minute I see one I will not be able to resist it, so best if I don't see it but... :)

[quote name='zeke_bloke' post='1116113' date='Feb 5 2011, 01:38 AM']Hi, I've been playing guitar for 5 years and I'm fairly adept at it, I want to try another instrument now and ive decided on bass.

I'm thinking of pairing my new bass with an orange tiny terror 1000watt head if that makes a difference and my budget will be about £800 for the bass[/quote]
Unless you are spotty and need to stand at the back....stick with the guitar....bass players always get the ugly birds :)

Edited by tino

As a guitarist/bassist of 7 years (but more of an ES-335 man), precision bass to begin with. I went through maybe 15 basses before I owned one and I'd personally go for a Fender too as Tokai and Squier put me off them for ages, a Bravewood put me back onto them. However, I'd go for a post 2008 American Standard with the graphite reinforced truss.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='tino' post='1117692' date='Feb 6 2011, 02:28 PM']Unless you are spotty and need to stand at the back....stick with the guitar....bass players always get the ugly birds :)[/quote]

nah bass is infinitely cooler if your a musician who wants to work with the drums/singer, and women my age (24) are mostly awful, like innit......

Edited by zeke_bloke

[quote name='mcnach' post='1117666' date='Feb 6 2011, 01:59 PM']where do you see cheap T-40s?
The minute I see one I will not be able to resist it, so best if I don't see it but... :)[/quote]

There's been a couple of good ones on here recently, Bassassin let his go and Flat Eric thinned his herd by a couple. I think all 3 went for under £500 each which for the instrument you get, I reckon is an effing steal!

I'm going to offer a different perspective:

go through your music collection and listen solely to the bass (as much as you can). Try to work out which you like the sound of then find out what it was played on. Get onto youtube and search for P's, J's, MM's, Ricks, etc. Find the tone you like.

Once you've identified a sound, you can come back here and ask specific questions.