Why become a member? ×

Are some people not destined to play 5-strings?

Evil Undead

I've had 4 goes at 5 string, my last one sold at the weekend. I have no problem with the SR5 neck, in fact I loved it, I came to the conclusion that my problem was swapping back and forward between 4 and 5's. I'd be playing fine on a 5 at a jam/gig and then relax a little too much (as I can/do on a 4) and suddenly start hitting the wrong strings!

If I didn't enjoy playing 4s so much I would have made the transition but that wasn't the case so.....no more 5s for me.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1155236' date='Mar 9 2011, 01:07 PM']I can.

Tell me you can't play a 5 string bass after a year. Then I'll believe you.[/quote]

Good point

[quote name='martthebass' post='1155240' date='Mar 9 2011, 01:09 PM']I've had 4 goes at 5 string, my last one sold at the weekend. I have no problem with the SR5 neck, in fact I loved it, I came to the conclusion that my problem was swapping back and forward between 4 and 5's. I'd be playing fine on a 5 at a jam/gig and then relax a little too much (as I can/do on a 4) and suddenly start hitting the wrong strings!

If I didn't enjoy playing 4s so much I would have made the transition but that wasn't the case so.....no more 5s for me.[/quote]

If you were hitting wrong strings when you relax,I'd say you probably weren't familiar enough with the instrument.
There really should be any problems caused by swapping between four and five strings,if yo are comfortable with the
instruments.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1155236' date='Mar 9 2011, 01:07 PM']I can.

Tell me you can't play a 5 string bass after a year. Then I'll believe you.[/quote]

The problem might not be that he can't play the 5 string, more that he just doesn't 'connect' with them. I have no problem playing a fiver, but I just can't ever imagine using one in a band situation, so I don't hang on to them too long. I recently had a Spector Euro 5 which was incredible but it just wasn't going to earn it's keep - so I traded it for a Spector 4 string. :)

I have no problem with fivers whatsoever, I just feel at home with a 4. Each to their own and all that!

I am very picky about feel and spacing and stuff. It took me many months to get really really comfortable.
But I knew it something I had to do. I kept the 4's for a few months but they weren't getting played, so I sold them and there was no
turning back..and neither did I consider it.

Been playing 5 strings pretty much since I started bass (bar 6 months or so). So I feel at home on a 5 but definately find 4 strings less 'effort'. I had a 6 string for a while - that I could never nail, it was the high C that I couldn't deal with.

[quote name='Machines' post='1155352' date='Mar 9 2011, 02:14 PM']Been playing 5 strings pretty much since I started bass (bar 6 months or so). So I feel at home on a 5 but definately find 4 strings less 'effort'. I had a 6 string for a while - that I could never nail, it was the high C that I couldn't deal with.[/quote]

I personally think that getting used to that High C is harder than getting used to the Low B.
It must have taken me a good six months to get used to that pesky C to a point where I knew I could use it accurately.
To put that into perspective, I made the transition from 4 to 5 in the space of two days.

Maybe my trouble is that I still play my 4's just as much as the 5...?

My favourite bass is my $$ 4, and there's no way I can stop playing that :)

It could be that the quality of the $$ just means that none of the other cheaper basses I own/play come close in terms of feel.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1155840' date='Mar 9 2011, 08:57 PM']Just wondering but does anyone here have trouble switching between 4, 5 and 6 strings?[/quote]

I always feel somewhat limited when i play a 4, and I hesitate because I'm used to having a much easier time reaching all the notes I want :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1114537' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:15 PM']I keep thinking I would love to play a 5-er as those low notes would be great for metal... so now and then I drop into the local music store to try some out, but I just can't get on with any of them.

I can't put my finger on what the problem is, but none of them feel right.

Has anyone else had this problem when trying to find a 5, or make the transition? What did you do? Just buy one and hope it grew on you, or stick with the 4's?[/quote]

I simply found a MM SUB5 and then a G&L L2500 Tribute, with the right strings both of them. I tried a few times before... but until I found those two basses I didn't get it.

Another thing is that actually *needing* to play a 5-string helps. The pressure added from necessity helps a lot, I think.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1155900' date='Mar 9 2011, 09:39 PM']Another thing is that actually *needing* to play a 5-string helps. The pressure added from necessity helps a lot, I think.[/quote]

And this would be why it took me roughly a year to get used to playing 6 strings! I used to play songs where I didnt actually need the extra strings, and kept going back to a 4 string 'proper bass' :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1155222' date='Mar 9 2011, 01:00 PM']So, bought me a used 5-string (from the forum) a month or so ago, just to have a go with and see how I got on. It's definitely the nicest one to play of all the 5-er's I've tried over the last year or so.

But it still just doesn't feel quite right (for some songs more than others), and I always find my hands wandering straight back to my 4 string.

What does it mean? More practice? That maybe I should stick with 4?[/quote]

Lock away the 4 string. You are only slowing yourself down. Its all about putting the time in. BTW, if you play the 5 at the same height as the 4 it will be uncomfortable. Play around with strap lengths until you find a balance.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1155840' date='Mar 9 2011, 08:57 PM']Just wondering but does anyone here have trouble switching between 4, 5 and 6 strings?[/quote]

I practice at home and play cover gigs with a 6, play a 5er live with the originals band and use a 4 in the studio (mostly). I'm really comfortable switching between them. Maybe you are thinking about the differences too much? I cant really see how there can be a problem aside from a physical one which is what practice is for.

Its just practice practice practice.. 10 years ago i had a 4 when i started, but after a few months i tried a 5, and stuck to it for a bit.then went back to 4 and back again... then to a six... even if you just treat the 5 like a 4 and ignore the B for a while until you get used to the feel and width..then concentrate on what a 5 really is and what you can play on it..

[quote name='Mog' post='1155947' date='Mar 9 2011, 10:04 PM']Lock away the 4 string. You are only slowing yourself down. Its all about putting the time in. BTW, if you play the 5 at the same height as the 4 it will be uncomfortable. Play around with strap lengths until you find a balance.

I practice at home and play cover gigs with a 6, play a 5er live with the originals band and use a 4 in the studio (mostly). I'm really comfortable switching between them. Maybe you are thinking about the differences too much? I cant really see how there can be a problem aside from a physical one which is what practice is for.[/quote]

Lock away my $$?! I couldn't :)

Ok... Cool. I'll try and play the 5 whenever I can. I don't need 5 strings but that B is handy. It's weird that its only on some songs that it feels strange.

I started out on a 4 string, but loved the idea of a 5 (more strings has to better eh?).

Eventually I wound up with a Hohner B-Bass V. It has quite a thin neck and the string spacing is narrow compared to a lot of 5's I've tried but I loved it. I basically dumped my 4 string in preference for it immediately.

The fact that it was a vastly superior instrument to my 4 string helped, but also at the time a lot of the songs I was playing were in Eb so having the 4th Fret on the B was a god-send.

Now I really struggle when I go back to a 4 string; because it doesn't have those lovely low notes.

I played my 5 almost exclusively for about two months since November and now I can play either as good/bad as each other in fact I did a function gig on Saturday using my Jazz4 and 02 Ray4 only with no problems, I have it sorted now.
The only area I'm weaker notably on a five is slap but if you own a pre EB Ray it would be rude to use anything but :)

I bought a 5 to avoid having to keep swapping basses when a band I was in played a few detuned songs. I now play a 5 in one band and a 4 in the other. Don't really find changing a problem although I do find the 4 string band material easier to play on the 5 due to the closer spacing. The obvious answer would be use the 5 for both bands but I own one 5 string and loads of 4s so not an option!

I find that although I love Fenders they have to be 4 strings - 5s are just wrong- don't know why. Never even tried one - maybe it would convert me if I did :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1156444' date='Mar 10 2011, 11:59 AM']I think it could be the string spacing that throws me off. I've noticed that the only songs that I really struggle to play on a 5-er are ones with arpeggios, as my fingers kinda trip over each other, where they wouldn't on a 4. Just clumsy perhaps?[/quote]

If you start playing the 5 with the expectation that you're going to screw up, then you probably will. :)
It could be the string spacing causing your fingers to stumble, again though, it's just a case of 'practice makes perfect'.

[quote name='farmer61' post='1156482' date='Mar 10 2011, 12:33 PM']I've bought a Fender Jazz 5, couldn't play it and sold it.

5 years later I bought a MM Stingray 5, couldn't play it and sold it.

There's currently a Gibson Studio Thunderbird V on Ebay, Hmmmm![/quote]

Why not just cut out the middle man and stick a link to it straight in the BC 'For Sale' section..? :)