Why become a member? ×

REM's Mike Mills

iconic

Yet another unsung bassist who is an integral part of a band known for its guitar work. Probably as he doesn`t get in the way of the guitars, and lets them carry the tunes, people think he doesn`t do much, which at times is much harder than being all widdly.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1112987' date='Feb 2 2011, 08:59 PM']Yet another unsung bassist who is an integral part of a band known for its guitar work. Probably as he doesn`t get in the way of the guitars, and lets them carry the tunes, people think he doesn`t do much, which at times is much harder than being all widdly.[/quote]

Also a damn fine keyboard player too! :)

He plays some real hidden gems, I really like his playing. I'd probably go as far to say he's my favourite bass player.

I seem to remember reading that he's most musically trained out of REM, which would explain a lot.

A really underrated player and musician in my opinion. Good to see others think the same.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1113104' date='Feb 2 2011, 10:13 PM']He plays some real hidden gems, I really like his playing. I'd probably go as far to say he's my favourite bass player.

I seem to remember reading that he's most musically trained out of REM, which would explain a lot.

A really underrated player and musician in my opinion. Good to see others think the same.[/quote]

I had a go on Uberlin last night, ya right, there is quite a bit going on in his playing but so very subtle

Well...I've never noticed the bass in that band (I still can't really hear it on the clips probably because he's mostly rooting the chord) but he'll go down well with the numerous bassists that treasure [i]absolute anonymity[/i] - something approaching a Zen-like humility (but quite often ends up as inaudibility) as the ultimate virtue of the art.

REM are a funny group. All their songs sound the same to me; the same vocal phrases, the same intervals, the same chords, the same sounds year after year after year. They've been here forever and won't go away and won't change... like someone from another generation that insists and boiled beans and cabbage on a Thursday.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1113533' date='Feb 3 2011, 10:04 AM']Well...I've never noticed the bass in that band (I still can't really hear it on the clips probably because he's mostly rooting the chord) but he'll go down well with the numerous bassists that treasure [i]absolute anonymity[/i] - something approaching a Zen-like humility (but quite often ends up as inaudibility) as the ultimate virtue of the art.

REM are a funny group. All their songs sound the same to me; the same vocal phrases, the same intervals, the same chords, the same sounds year after year after year. They've been here forever and won't go away and won't change... like someone from another generation that insists and boiled beans and cabbage on a Thursday.[/quote]

With respect, Spoombung, if Stump had had a career that spanned 30-odd years and 20-odd albums a discerning listener not dissimilar to yourself might also have been able to identify a certain, er, 'consistency' across your canon! Stipe's only got one voice, after all!

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='1113774' date='Feb 3 2011, 12:52 PM']With respect, Spoombung, if Stump had had a career that spanned 30-odd years and 20-odd albums....[/quote]

20 Stump albums. What a terrifying thought. :)
At least we admitted we didn't have anything more to say as a band and did the decent thing and called it a day.

REM are like a re-animated corpse or a party guest that won't leave. How can they live with themselves?

[quote name='KevB' post='1113935' date='Feb 3 2011, 02:46 PM']We'd better not get you started on Status Quo then :)[/quote]

Yeah, but REM have a 'smart' 'geeky' 'brainy' reputation unlike Quo who have a 'fun', 'thick' and 'denim' reputation.

Maybe I'm deluded, but bands that fit the 'intelligent' description usually like to move on and try new things - not simply atrophy like poor, old REM.

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='1113774' date='Feb 3 2011, 12:52 PM']Stipe's only got one voice, after all![/quote]

So has Geddy Lee, and nobody could accuse Rush of re-animating their own corpse every couple of years since the seventies.

I saw a show on TV and they sounded awful unaccompanied..but fine when all mixed in.
So, from that POV..not an easy band to mix in that the basic sounds aren't there ..but then that can apply to a lot of players.

Good band and songs though and they do what is required.
One of those happy accidents/grow into it all type bands.

I have to echo what Marvin and Anthony have said. I've said on here b4, but I'm happy to say it again that Mike Mills is my favourite bass player!(R.E.M. are my favourite band after all!) He's technically as good any of the super Bass players that get mentioned all the time like Jeff Berlin or Jaco Pastorius, AND-and this is the moot point IMO- he's both written and played on some great pop songs! He's also humble enough to say that doing vocals with bass playing-which is his strength and signature style-is hard work, thus giving hope to the rest of us average bass players!

So basically, I'll have to agree to disagree with Spoombug! ;-)

GOD BLESS MIKE MILLS!

[quote name='indiegrungesound' post='1114181' date='Feb 3 2011, 05:33 PM']...........He's technically as good any of the super Bass players that get mentioned all the time like Jeff Berlin or Jaco Pastorius,.............[/quote]

hmmm..... not sure I have heard anything of the sort to back this up... whatsoever.

but hey ho..you like him, that is fair enough.