Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Attitude MkIII

andy67

Well, here it is folks in all its glory...

[url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2011-video-billy-sheehan-on-his-new-yamaha-attitude-iii-bass-359477"]http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/nam...iii-bass-359477[/url]

enjoy!

andy

Oh well, in-line with Yamaha's new pricing ideology...I can't afford it: [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/yamaha-attitude-limited-3-billy-sheehan-signature-bass-guitar-baby-blue--82806"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/yamaha-attitu...aby-blue--82806[/url]

Edited by andy67

Its nice hearing from a guy that has really thought about every aspect of his signature model rather than just putting his name to anything. Very cool video, though the bass is not something I would ever play myself, but then again it is his bass not mine!

[quote name='andy67' post='1108816' date='Jan 30 2011, 10:29 PM']Oh well, in-line with Yamaha's new pricing ideology...I can't afford it: [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/yamaha-attitude-limited-3-billy-sheehan-signature-bass-guitar-baby-blue--82806"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/yamaha-attitu...aby-blue--82806[/url][/quote]
Bit unfair. UK pricing has little to do with Yamaha. As it always has, Yamaha sets the price of its products in Japan, and the vagaries of currency conversion and purchase taxes set the local prices, outside of Japan. In 2010, on average, £1 bought Y130. In 2007, on average, £1 bought Y240. You've around 50% of the purchasing power you had a few years ago. Roll UK purchase tax increases into that equation and we're talking less than 50%. Walk into a music store in Tokyo, and Yamaha's new product ranges are as competitively priced as these always have been. Yamaha isn't attempting to reposition its product ranges, it's just that life in the UK has got a lot more expensive if you're looking to purchase imports.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='1108953' date='Jan 31 2011, 01:12 AM']Bit unfair. UK pricing has little to do with Yamaha. As it always has, Yamaha sets the price of its products in Japan, and the vagaries of currency conversion and purchase taxes set the local prices, outside of Japan. In 2010, on average, £1 bought Y130. In 2007, on average, £1 bought Y240. You've around 50% of the purchasing power you had a few years ago. Roll UK purchase tax increases into that equation and we're talking less than 50%. Walk into a music store in Tokyo, and Yamaha's new product ranges are as competitively priced as these always have been. Yamaha isn't attempting to reposition its product ranges, it's just that life in the UK has got a lot more expensive if you're looking to purchase imports.[/quote]

Its just too darn expensive! Yamaha's new range of basses are definitely not competitively priced here, maybe at the lower end but not at this end. My Attitude MkII cost me £849 in 1999 brand new and now...well tripled in price. I'm not being unfair just stating facts. Would be interested to see set prices in Asia and America where the markets are a wee bit different.

Shall do some research.

andy

I've always thought the Attitude was a really cool bass, and that it was one of the most 'identifiable' singature basses. It's so closely linked to Billy's needs and preferences in a way that say, the Yamaha John Pattituci isn't. The Yamaha TRBJP is just a top spec TRB, the Attitude a a bass designed especially for Billy.

Not for the money, thanks.

Still, it's not as bad as emptying my pockets for Warwick on the basis that TM has had some "Zulu" scenes airbrushed onto his signature bass.*

Has it been designed by Thetans to justify the price tag, Billy?

*horses for courses. Other opinions are available, etc.

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1109161' date='Jan 31 2011, 10:33 AM']I think that is a bunch of the point, since it is based on exactly that.[/quote]

Yes I sort of thought that even as I was typing it, at least the BS basses seem to be fairly accurate repro's of the originals and at least the artist has had some involvement. Still an unjustifiable price tag (along with many other mass produced instruments I guess).

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1109025' date='Jan 31 2011, 08:13 AM']I've always thought the Attitude was a really cool bass, and that it was one of the most 'identifiable' singature basses. It's so closely linked to Billy's needs and preferences in a way that say, the Yamaha John Pattituci isn't. The Yamaha TRBJP is just a top spec TRB, the Attitude a a bass designed especially for Billy.[/quote]

That's the main reason I'd never even consider one - it's SO specific that you'd need to be in a tribute band (or be the ultimate fanboy) to play one. Much as I admire Billy, I don't want to play just like him (I hate the mudbucker, anyway) or sound like him (although a smidge of his talent would be good to take elsewhere) or even look like him. I have an 80s BB, and back in the day was pleased to see he played one (pre-Attitude), but I never took a drill, sander, soldering iron (or, Gawd help us, a tin of metallic pink paint) to mine to make it EXACTLY like his. I'm sure it's a great instrument, and having played one of the new £2.5k BB2024s, I can say they're as good as anything in the £2k market quality-wise, but it's far too specific for me.

[quote name='Muzz' post='1109238' date='Jan 31 2011, 11:32 AM']That's the main reason I'd never even consider one - it's SO specific that you'd need to be in a tribute band (or be the ultimate fanboy) to play one. Much as I admire Billy, I don't want to play just like him (I hate the mudbucker, anyway) or sound like him (although a smidge of his talent would be good to take elsewhere) or even look like him. I have an 80s BB, and back in the day was pleased to see he played one (pre-Attitude), but I never took a drill, sander, soldering iron (or, Gawd help us, a tin of metallic pink paint) to mine to make it EXACTLY like his. I'm sure it's a great instrument, and having played one of the new £2.5k BB2024s, I can say they're as good as anything in the £2k market quality-wise, but it's far too specific for me.[/quote]

I feel a little insulted, i own an Attitude and it was my main rock bass (and still is my main 4 string). I'm a fan of Mr Big and have been since i was about 7 (not that long ago, only 8/9 years) but i don't play in a tribute band, or spend all my time playing covers in my bed room. It has a solid 'grindy' growl-ish tone which i absolutely love.

I'm not a fan of the mud bucker, i tend to combo both P'ups as the combined sound is a different thing to the sound of the pickups run side by side, I'm not a HUGE fanboy, though i'm a big fan of his music. (I will say i have a feeeeeeeew fan boyish traits, and i get togetehr with a steve vai tribute act on occasion, but he is my favourite guitarist)
Oh and its not entirely mettalic pink... Its called Rose Blue :)

Though he is THE most imitated bassist i can think of, i mean there are people on teh web who dress like him, got his tatoos, run the exact same rig have all his basses and only play billy sheehan music/mr big/talas covers all their life. I saw "Raw Like Sushi" (Mr Big cover band) and the guys had no orginal music to speak of despite having been together for years! Now THATS fan boyisms (I know fanboyisms well, my brother wishes he was matt bellamay pretty much! haha!)

AC

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1109332' date='Jan 31 2011, 12:36 PM']In the vid Billy says the Fender P is the greatest bass ever made. So no point buying his Yamaha then?[/quote]

A bit like Glenn Hughes and the BB2024 - there's vids around of him bigging the BB up, and then he goes into the studio to record the BCC album on...a Fender P. Yamaha must be thrilled... :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1109332' date='Jan 31 2011, 12:36 PM']In the vid Billy says the Fender P is the greatest bass ever made. So no point buying his Yamaha then?[/quote]

At least he's honest.

Maybe he just means [url="http://www.billysheehan.com/gear/instruments_34.html"]this Fender P[/url]