Why become a member? ×

How Long Do You Play For?

Bassmonkey

Our past 2 gigs its been pretty much the openers starting at 9, finishing at half 9, and we start at quarter to, do a 10 song set, 5 minute break, 2 song acoustic set, second 10 song set, and then encore for about 15 minutes. Finishing at around half 11. If we don't have another band with us we start at 9 and do pretty much the same set lengths we do then, just with a 6-10 song acoustic set instead of 2. Most of our gigs are free aswell, so we have no problems with going all night if the manager is fine with cause its abit of fun to us for now.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='alant' post='1109301' date='Jan 31 2011, 12:21 PM']Most pubs we play usually start at 9pm and go through to midnight. We play 1 hour first set, then half hour break, so 2nd set is usually 9.30pm to midnight or thereabouts.[/quote]

That's clever :)

2 x 45's is the agreement, but we make space in the last set to take an hr or so as we tend to finish pretty strongly.

I always ask the landlord what is the maximum last playing time and we try and hit it.
In pubs round here, that is normally midnight.

On sundays, the sets sometimes start at 7pm to finish at 10:00 or thereabouts.

I agree that you should have a decent break min the set so people can chat...
Much more than an hour and you have to be very keen..and capable of holding that attention.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='alant' post='1109301' date='Jan 31 2011, 12:21 PM']Most pubs we play usually start at 9pm and go through to midnight. We play 1 hour first set, then half hour break, so 2nd set is usually 9.30pm to midnight or thereabouts.[/quote]

I've played a few bars stuck in a time-warp too... :)

[quote name='farmer61' post='1105534' date='Jan 27 2011, 08:37 PM']Longest in old band was 3 and a half hours, no break!!! :)
Current band 1 x 1hr followed by 1x 1hr 15mins plus encores, my logic is I do this for fun therefore want to play as longs as is possible[/quote]

up here int north we've played
1st set 'bout 1 hour
2nd set 11/2-2hrs plus encores(especially if its a private do,they want you on all night-mind you I would carry on but the lead throats buggered by then) or until the landlord pulls the plug-residents and all that kind of stuff,mind you It does fly by

So for the pub gigs 2 X 45 mins seems to be the norm. We sometimes have trouble getting back into the groove after the break, it disrupts the flow of things.
Our last gig was a birthday party and we did 1hr 30 in one set; I was dying for the toilet by the time we finished.

Anyone else have trouble getting started after the break ?

Phil.

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' post='1125685' date='Feb 13 2011, 09:16 AM']Anyone else have trouble getting started after the break ?[/quote]
Nah - just choose your song wisely.

This is just a general comment to no-one in particular:

The thing to bear in mind about whether to play 2x45s or one long set, is that it's not about you & the band. It's about the punters, and what's best for them.

For us, pubs are either 1 x 45 and 1 hour, or sometimes 30m / 30m/ 45m to finish ( i dont like that personally, but sometimes the rest of them want to do it that way)

And theres a working mens club we do where 3 x 30mins is specified, its typed out and pinned on the back of the club secretary's door. Ususlly something like:

8.15-8.45 - Artist
8.45-9.30 - Bingo & raffle
9.30-10.00 - Artist
10.00-10.40 - 'Play your cards right'
10.40-11.10 - Artist
11.10-11.15 - Encore (yes, even your encore is timetabled)

The first time we played there we went over our first spot by 5 minutes and got told off. Seriously. :)

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' post='1125685' date='Feb 13 2011, 09:16 AM']Anyone else have trouble getting started after the break ?[/quote]

No. Just pick the right paced song as far as we are concerned. We have a few that can do this but it needs some thought.

Also, when we pick new songs..we know where they will work best and some songs work as starters and closers...
We try to close the 1st set the way we will start the 2nd.

In pubs, breaks are essential, IMV so everyone can mingle and chat and it gives all a break from that incessant racket in the corner :)
If people want more... then they will let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Most Dinner dances we do an Hour then 10-15 min break change out of our monkey suits to coloured shirts then do hour 'n' half to finish. too often end up doing two hours because the little Lady says there's no time to break now. Thats ok for those that don't have a coffee table hanging round their neck all night.

When we are being booked for pubs we tell them x amount for 2x 45min sets. The last couple of gigs we did i kept an eye on the time, first set was about 50 mins so not too bad, second set was 1hr 20 before we started encores. We generally check when we are doing bookings as to what time they like bands to stop and work back from that to decide on start time.
We are at the Churchill in West Lavington again on the 12th and know the score there now so won't start till about 2130 as he has a music license till 2 and the only thing we will disturb is the horses out back (but they are evil anyway) :)