Why become a member? ×

My Worst Nightmare...

TKenrick

I recently lent a friend my beloved 80's P-bass for a recording session...

Just had a call from him to inform me that he somehow managed to leave it on a train last night, and that the lost property office isn't staffed at weekends so I can't find out anything until Monday morning. It's going to be a long Sunday...

Keep your fingers crossed Basschat!

[quote name='headofire' post='1099182' date='Jan 22 2011, 11:06 PM']lesson learnt the hard way.... sucks man. I once got off the train with all my stuff but left my prototype burns EUB (61!) on the train when i got off at clapham. I got it back...just. Everything crossed for you mate.[/quote]

You'd think after the first time you would remember to check. :)

Edited by Bassman Sam

[quote name='TKenrick' post='1099141' date='Jan 22 2011, 10:28 PM']I recently lent a friend my beloved 80's P-bass for a recording session...

Just had a call from him to inform me that he somehow managed to leave it on a train last night, and that the lost property office isn't staffed at weekends so I can't find out anything until Monday morning. It's going to be a long Sunday...

Keep your fingers crossed Basschat![/quote]

How confident are you that he's telling the truth?

[quote name='beardybass' post='1099243' date='Jan 23 2011, 12:33 AM']If it doesn't come back, he owes you money. If it does, you still owe him a slap!

Sorry, I realise he's your friend, but what an absolute arsehole.[/quote]

Took the words right out of my mouth. Your friend sounds like a real numpty. :)

Hope you get it back OK.

Edited by nick

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1099175' date='Jan 22 2011, 11:02 PM']Some basses are more worth than some money, sounds like this is that kind of bass for him[/quote]

Agreed. So he needs to be compensated with enough cash to buy one as close as possible to the original. I know it's difficult as he's a friend, but at the end of the day if ANYONE lost/broke a piece of my gear I'd expect them to replace it.

Thanks for all the responses guys, my friend has of course said that he'll replace the bass - I've known the guy a long time, we dep for each other regularly and I'm certain there's nothing suspicious going on other than a moment of massive incompetence on his part.

As others have already mentioned, it's really not about the monetary value of the bass. I don't care about getting another bass, I care about getting THAT bass back again.

If there's no news tomorrow morning I'll start a search operation, might need BCers to keep an eye on their local pawn shops...

And yes, lesson learnt.

[quote name='tarcher' post='1099381' date='Jan 23 2011, 10:23 AM']Where was it lost/forgotten and description so basschatters can keep an eye out.
Sorry to read this tale of woe by the way.[/quote]

+1

And I would recommend trying to call National Rail anyway. There are trains running on Sundays, so there are people at work at the stations.
Call the station where he left it, and the station where his train would have terminated. Hassle people!

Something tells me you will get this one back. Best of luck!

[quote name='MikanHannille' post='1099167' date='Jan 22 2011, 10:58 PM']Arghh. Can't even think on how would you able to forget something that big on the train. ~.~

Well, I wish the best for you.[/quote]

Actually, I did it once at Charing Cross station last year. Had a lot on my mind at the time but just as I was about to go down to the tube, realised I felt a lot lighter than I should have been, turned around and sprinted back to the platform and fortunately the train was still there and bass was right where I left it. Cue me dashing on, grabbing the bass and dashing back off again with a rather full carriage of bemused passengers looking on!

A rather less fortunate occasion was a few years ago when I was on the way home and totally loaded up with luggage, managed to leave a rather nice leather jacket that I loved on a (then) GNER train that never turned up again.

Yes, I have a mind like a sieve at times.

Hope OP's bass turns up though. I know if mine hadn't I'd have been gutted, know what he means about it being THAT bass.

Edited by Maverick