Why become a member? ×

1x12 Cab Recommendations Please.

Soliloquy

Just out of interest why those particular 4 and not the BF or Aggie? I could understand if the BF and Aggie had a similar sound which you dislike but they are absolutely poles apart in terms of tone and the Aggies aren't a million miles apart from some of the cabs you've shortlisted!

Each to his own and I'm not plugging the Aggies in any way, I know that they won't suit everybody, but I am interested in the 'why' of your shortlist.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1098789' date='Jan 22 2011, 04:15 PM']Just out of interest why those particular 4 and not the BF or Aggie? I could understand if the BF and Aggie had a similar sound which you dislike but they are absolutely poles apart in terms of tone and the Aggies aren't a million miles apart from some of the cabs you've shortlisted!

Each to his own and I'm not plugging the Aggies in any way, I know that they won't suit everybody, but I am interested in the 'why' of your shortlist.[/quote]

I want something flat and uncoloured, so I haven't got to EQ out something I don't like, or add something.

I've had Aguilar GS112's in the past, they're very mid scooped, and the DB cabs have a mid bump.

I've seen a couple of the BF cabs, and wasn't impressed with the build. Both people who owned them had had to contact the guy about something. That's not something I want from a cab that's far from cheap.

I see! I thought the dismissal of the two cab manufacturers was due to tone and they are very different, hence my curiosity. Again I'm not pushing/pimping the DBs but I don't find that they have such a mid bump (with my amp flat) at least not as much mid as others cabs I've tried with my amp (Schroeder cabs and Bergantino 10's spring to mind as being more mid biased than Aggie DBs) but neither would I say the DBs are uncoloured, so agree they may not suit you.

Best of luck finding what you want. :)

If buying new, I'd be looking at either a Berg or the EA Mline wizzy. I am probably one of the two who put you off the Barefaced option.....so I should say that a few weeks/gigs later I'm very happy with the midget for all my current work, but having to send it back straight out the box was a complete pain. I'd describe the sound as pretty flat, with a hint of a more traditional voicing (but nothing like older SWR/Eden etc).

I'd also consider Bag End - again a bit "voiced", but in a good way, and there is a co-ax option (for one of a pair, maybe?). They are a bit heavy compared to current designs.

Happy hunting

I didn't think about the Acme B1, that's another option.

See, what I want is a couple of small cabs. I can use one for small gigs, and both for larger ones. I was thinking 12" cabs, mainly because of the better bass response, but the Acme B1 would be great.

Once again, thanks everyone for your replies.

[quote name='sk8' post='1099383' date='Jan 23 2011, 10:24 AM']Purple Chili PCB112NT could be an option. I got one and lime it very much. Light and loud :)[/quote]
In the spirit that people just tend to recommend what they use, if you get the chance, I'd suggest you try the Purple Chili 12's aswell.
Don't know how flat they are, but they're certainly light, loud and well made.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1099374' date='Jan 23 2011, 10:16 AM']Barefaced compact T

A 1x15 with a tweeter, under £500, will be lighter and louder than any single 1x12

I use a single midget.
In 80% of situations it's plenty loud enough.[/quote]

I got confused at some point.

There is either compact, midget or midget T. Either way they will no doubt be lighter, louder and cheaper than most.

This might be a bit pointless, but I'd thought I'd have may say.

I think it all depends on what head you are using. If your head puts out less than 300 watts @ 8 ohms, then any 12" cab with Celestion Neo drivers (Purple Chillis and Warwick Neo Pros-Yes. I AM giving props to my cabs again! ;-)) will do the job. If your head puts out more than 300 watts @ 8 ohms-because you did say that you were planning to use just one for tiny gigs- then I'd go for broke and get a Bergantino due to the power handling specs.

No idea what Hartke's HyDrive 12" are like, whilst you could always e-mail to folks @ Matamp for something bespoke & retro. They also let use choose between Celestion & Eminence speakers.

Hope that helps!

I haven't seen a bass player not make some kind of Oooo sound after plucking the first few notes through a bergantino!
I do know that the Genz Benz cabs are clearer as far a colouring sound than both the bergs and the purple chilis I have A B'd them with 4 other bass chatters present who all agreed for once! Bergantino 1x12 FTW though I think. Watch this space.......

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1100011' date='Jan 23 2011, 07:47 PM']I got confused at some point.

There is either compact, midget or midget T. Either way they will no doubt be lighter, louder and cheaper than most.[/quote]

Did you not bother to read the original post?

[quote name='indiegrungesound' post='1100061' date='Jan 23 2011, 08:21 PM']This might be a bit pointless, but I'd thought I'd have may say.

I think it all depends on what head you are using. If your head puts out less than 300 watts @ 8 ohms, then any 12" cab with Celestion Neo drivers (Purple Chillis and Warwick Neo Pros-Yes. I AM giving props to my cabs again! ;-)) will do the job. If your head puts out more than 300 watts @ 8 ohms-because you did say that you were planning to use just one for tiny gigs- then I'd go for broke and get a Bergantino due to the power handling specs.

No idea what Hartke's HyDrive 12" are like, whilst you could always e-mail to folks @ Matamp for something bespoke & retro. They also let use choose between Celestion & Eminence speakers.

Hope that helps![/quote]

I would go for ceramic's over neo - especially on a 1x12 as they are so portable.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='1101381' date='Jan 24 2011, 09:06 PM']I would go for ceramic's over neo - especially on a 1x12 as they are so portable.[/quote]

I tend to agree although you should audition both to see what magnet type you prefer - of course, not all speakers and manufacturers sound the same so it depends upon how much you want to go into it all. The weight saving in cabs is more down to what the cab is made out of rather than the speaker itself!