Why become a member? ×

Thread On Tb...

bubinga5

[quote name='silddx' post='1095338' date='Jan 19 2011, 04:29 PM']

HAHAHAHA! I hadn't seen the vids until ten minutes ago. This is my favourite so far.

Sheer madness, X Factor audition quality :)[/quote]

Ah.
Know where he's going wrong now.
He's getting mixed up with the differences between a sword with a bass guitar...

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1095347' date='Jan 19 2011, 04:39 PM']I CAN do it, i know i SHOULDNT do it, but sometimes i just do... I need help.[/quote]

Me too...I've done that in a folk band I play with - I get a red mist that just blurs the sea of pewter tankards and home knitted jumpers... :)

Anyone who puts clips up of themselves with that kind of attitude has to accept some stick

Equally though, I bet he has got his fair share of clueless admirers, simply due to his in your face attitude

Is it possible to see any of him in a full gospel band situation, as that would be fun?

The bottom line is without breaking any laws or hurting anyone, he has talkbass and our attention, which I guess is why he uploads

I just listened to the first vid linked and the one above and all I thought was 'oh that's some weird religious American guy playing bass then, that's probably the kind of thing they do nowadays'
Not my thing at all but it's ok! Just extremely idiosyncratic. Even the timing has its own (admittedly weird) thing going on. Whether he can play with a band or not I dunno, but that's not the right criteria to judge those clips by. He doesn't lack for confidence though that's for sure.
Otoh I sometimes wish I had that kind of cockiness! It'd be pretty useful.

[quote name='TomKent' post='1095573' date='Jan 19 2011, 08:05 PM']Respect to him for putting himself out there and making an album, putting videos on YouTube etc etc. Okay, he's not the best, but at least he's trying? :)[/quote]

I don't agree with that.
There are a lot of poor players who are putting videos of themselves on Youtube and making CDs but it doesn't automatically
give them respect. It means they've bought a camera and Logic-anyone can do it if they have the money.
The difference with this guy is that he seems to think that he's the shizzle,which he clearly isn't. It's all about the attitude and it's not supported in
his playing,which is fairly basic harmonically and slightly messy rhythmically.

Jaco used to say "It ain't bragging if you can back it up". Unfortunately,Jaxsn can't back it up.

[quote name='TomKent' post='1095573' date='Jan 19 2011, 08:05 PM']Respect to him for putting himself out there and making an album, putting videos on YouTube etc etc. Okay, he's not the best, but at least he's trying? :lol:[/quote]

Very trying. :)

All mouth and no trousers. His slapping has no rhythm, and his melodic playing has no melody. Instant bass FAIL. :)

The guy in the videos isn't that interesting, that Pat Metheny rant however is fantastic! Seriously though, that lad plays like there's something wrong with him, but if he manages to find people to pay him to play like that, then more power to him. Personally, the phrase "contemporary christian music" was enough to bring me to the verge of kicking the computer out the window, but that's just me.

[quote name='Johngh' post='1095934' date='Jan 20 2011, 08:00 AM']Just find it ironic that a thread is started about someone getting dissed on Talkbass and our opinions on it, then the dude ends up getting dissed on here as well. :)[/quote]

I have a sneaking suspicion that if it was discussed on flower-arranging.com he'd be dissed on there as well... :)

[quote name='Johngh' post='1095934' date='Jan 20 2011, 08:00 AM']Just find it ironic that a thread is started about someone getting dissed on Talkbass and our opinions on it, then the dude ends up getting dissed on here as well. :)[/quote]
In this day and age I'm afraid our friend jaxsn (that's J.A.X.S.N.com!) will be seen as fair game.

There are a lot of deluded people out there who have vastly inflated view of their own ability and are not afraid to make that public. People like jaxsn are not easily able to make judgements on quality. He is completely convinced, although he makes many excuses, that people will be able to see he has great talent and musicality.

He really is A Grade X Factor Audition quality :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1095338' date='Jan 19 2011, 04:29 PM'] [/quote]

Haven't read both threads fully but I dont understand what is so funny? The guy can play bass, he is a bass player, we are bass players ALL of different abilities and styles. If you think his confidence out weighs his ability then that should be regarded as a positive tool for self development I would think. He can slap he can play finger style his compositions are his own presentation of his musical ability.

If you dont have anything constructive to say, leave it alone and move along dont point and laugh at the musicians you dont appreciate.

A wealth of rich and [b]varied[/b] music is what we should all want.

Leo

Edited by LeoFender

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096035' date='Jan 20 2011, 09:48 AM']Haven't both threads fully but I dont understand what is so funny? The guy can play bass, he is a bass player, we are bass players ALL of different abilities and styles. If you think his confidence out weighs his ability then that should be regarded as a positive tool for self development I would think. He can slap he can play finger style his compositions are his own presentation of his musical ability.

If you dont have anything constructive to say, leave it alone and move along dont point and laugh at the musicians you dont appreciate.

Leo[/quote]

+ 1000

IMHO --- The X factory mentality has no place in music -- Music is not a competition!!!

B

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096035' date='Jan 20 2011, 09:48 AM']Haven't both threads fully but I dont understand what is so funny? The guy can play bass, he is a bass player, we are bass players ALL of different abilities and styles. If you think his confidence out weighs his ability then that should be regarded as a positive tool for self development I would think. He can slap he can play finger style his compositions are his own presentation of his musical ability.

Leo[/quote]
I disagree.

Would you like to see Have I got News For You, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and (if you don't like those anyway) virtually every form of satirucal comedy wiped from our TV screens?

What a boring world it would be.

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096035' date='Jan 20 2011, 09:48 AM']If you think his confidence out weighs his ability then that should be regarded as a positive tool for self development I would think.[/quote]

I have no wish to comment on jaxsn as I am unfamiliar with his music, but in general terms I strongly disagree with the above statement. Delusion is rarely a powerful force for enhancing quality.

Jennifer

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1096059' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:02 AM']I disagree.

Would you like to see Have I got News For You, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and (if you don't like those anyway) virtually every form of satirucal comedy wiped from our TV screens?

What a boring world it would be.[/quote]

I disagree with you,

He is not a politician, therefore does not have to answer to anyone for his performance,

Music is an art form open to interpretation by the individual. If you dont understand his composition that is your problem not his.

This is a Bass related forum that should support all bass players and Have I got News for You is a satirical based comedy show that purloins people who are publicly accountable. Slight difference in the two, or I would hope so?

A rhetorical question but where would you draw the line at Satire?

[quote name='endorka' post='1096066' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:08 AM']I have no wish to comment on jaxsn as I am unfamiliar with his music, but in general terms I strongly disagree with the above statement. Delusion is rarely a powerful force for enhancing quality.

Jennifer[/quote]

Delusion or desire to continue playing the bass? Kicking the SH1T out of some ones confidence, misplaced or other is going to do nothing for him as a player, or us as a community of musicians.

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096071' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:12 AM']Music is an art form.[/quote]
..and as such is open to judgement from anyone who cares to comment.

I suggest if JAXSN can't handle hearing the bad as well as the good, putting clips on YouTube is probably a bad idea.

That said, he seems to be handling the criticism pretty well. I'm sure he's just fine.