Why become a member? ×

Jazz vs Precision sound - what's the difference

Fat Rich

How would you describe the difference in sound (unplugged or neck pickup only) between a stock Jazz vs stock Precision bass? And what causes this difference given that they're both made from the same type of woods, bolt on construction and passive single coils?

I think that my P basses have always had a slightly clankier and less focussed sound but with a bit more bottom end, whereas any Jazzes I've had have sounded slightly more refined particularly in the mids. Having had a P bass with a Jazz neck that sounded more like a Jazz I've always assumed the neck plays an important part.

Also having a Precision bass (with a P neck) but with Jazz pickups still sounding like a P bass reinforced my view but probably best not to judge on just two examples....

So, anyone else had Jazz / Precision hybrids and what's your view?

Is it neck, is it pickups, is it body size and shape? What's the most important factor in giving them their sound?

(By the way this all started in the Fender Factory Tour thread, in the video (3 mins in) it was stated that the choice of wood has more effect on the sound than the pickups and electronics:

Doctor J asked "How come P basses and J basses made from the same wood sound different then?"

Silddx asked "So what is NOT a Precision Bass sound, and likewise for a Jazz Bass?"

I thought I knew the answers but the more I thought about it the less sure I was!)

[i]Edit: Still none the wiser but at least I now know where to use their and they're.[/i]

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1089956' date='Jan 14 2011, 10:44 PM']....By the way this all started in the Fender Factory Tour thread, in the video (3 mins in) it was stated that the choice of wood has more effect on the sound than the pickups and electronics.....[/quote]
People believe this because (as consumers) they want to.

As I understand it, and from my own (limited) experience, most of the difference is in the pickups.

The split-humbucker on a P provides [cliche] a full rich tone with great presence which sits superbly below the mix [/cliche] while the single coils on a J are far more middy and tend to cut through rather than sitting below.

I've had a P with a J neck (a Lakland Duck Dunn) and that was definitely a P, nothing J about it.

I've had two P/J hybrids. On the neck pickup only, both were definitely P-basses. On the bridge pickup only, both were J-basses (if you use the same pickup selection, of course). What they couldn't do was the J-bass "burpy" thing, which needs both single coils.

[quote]"it'll really change the sound, much more than the pickups do or the electronics"[/quote]

So how come an ash bodied, maple fretboarded Stingray doesn't sound like an ash bodied, maple fretboarded P which doesn't sound like an ash bodied, maple fretboarded J?

Is the bad man lying?

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1090006' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:39 PM']The P sound comes from the P pickup. Anything I've ever played with a P pickup [b]in the P position[/b], regardless of neck size, body material or size, has sounded like a P.[/quote]
Very good point that's often overlooked when this debate comes up. The position of the pup has a very influential effect on tone beyond just the type of pup used.
My favourite P tone comes from a 'bucker (not split P) in the P position.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1089958' date='Jan 14 2011, 10:48 PM']People believe this because (as consumers) they want to.[/quote]
I believe this aswell.

If you can see the wood grain, so much the better, the purchase becomes even more justifiable because then you have a bass that is unique, and reminds you of home.

Pickup type and as has been pointed out position are huge contributors to tone. But, my experience is definitely that different basses sound different unplugged. And swapping the same pickups between a couple of different J basses, each has their own character which reflects the unplugged sound.
I don't know if there're construction differences between J and P basses that would give [b]consistent[/b] differences between the models, I guess neck mass would be the most likely consistent factor if there was one. But definitely there are going to be differences between particular examples of each bass that go beyond the pickup type/placement.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1089956' date='Jan 14 2011, 10:44 PM']How would you describe the difference in sound (unplugged or neck pickup only) between a stock Jazz vs stock Precision bass? And what causes this difference given that they're both made from the same type of woods, bolt on construction and passive single coils?[/quote]
Neck pup jazz = smooth, clean, hollow.
Precision = rough, dirty, solid.
Reason = different pups.

Edited by redstriper

i always imagined the P to have a very 'direct' and 'mellow' sound. a similar sound can be achieved with just the neck pup of the J. but i love the tone when you just use the bridge pup of the J. it gives a 'growl' tone that the P is unable to produce. that is why i prefer my jazz over my P.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1089958' date='Jan 14 2011, 11:48 PM']People believe this because (as consumers) they want to.[/quote]
+1 on that, or moreover, a manufacturer like Fender would want a buyer to think the woods used in their expensive (US) ranges are sooo much better than the woods used in bulk by indifferent factory workers churning out Squiers in China. Same as someone who spends 3 grand on a multi laminated custom thru neck will want to 'hear' a big difference between that and the 200 quid production bass they used to play. It's mostly in the mind - mostly.......

[quote name='redstriper' post='1090044' date='Jan 15 2011, 12:21 AM']Neck pup jazz = hollow.
Precision = solid.[/quote]

That's exactly the way i'd describe it. As a one time sax player, i'd hear stories about player's tones.
One claim was that, if you could section that tone, cut it in half and study its composition, some would have a an oval, or elliptical profile with a solid middle. Some would have grainy fillings, some would be hollow and so on...

is this bollocks in the bass world?

the P is thick, heavy on the fundamental, whereas the J has the ability to 'spread' it's tone.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1090297' date='Jan 15 2011, 12:04 PM']+1 on that, or moreover, a manufacturer like Fender would want a buyer to think the woods used in their expensive (US) ranges are sooo much better than the woods used in bulk by indifferent factory workers churning out Squiers in China. Same as someone who spends 3 grand on a multi laminated custom thru neck will want to 'hear' a big difference between that and the 200 quid production bass they used to play. It's mostly in the mind - mostly.......[/quote]

Totally agree, but let's not forget that even US made Fenders are mass produced and, while based on an inspired and classic design, do not receive the same attention as the bespoke luthiers. Not sure the typical Mexican worker in the US factory is any less indifferent than a factory worker anywhere else in the world.

I play in a punk/ska band, i've been playing a musicman sterling for a couple of years. Im in the process of selling it and purchasing either an american standard jazz or p-bass. I've tried them both out and im thinking about going for the P-bass, I've got a decent rig so it'll sound awesome and all the records I've heard with a p-bass bass on it sounds in my mind exactly how a bass should sound.

so, for the type of music I play, what you reckon, P-bass or Jazz??

To the last post, I also play in a punk band that chucks the occaisonal ska number in, and the P-Bass sounds very good for this, great solid bottom end.

As you`ve mentioned that all the music you`ve listened to with a P-Bass sounds how you think the bass should sound, thats a good indicator.