Why become a member? ×

Jazz vs Precision sound - what's the difference

Fat Rich

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1342010576' post='1727943']
This was posted somewhere recently and yes, I was able to tell the difference. :D *boasty*
[/quote]

Checking back, I see the results are up - and I did get them in the right order. If any of them had been played in isolation, I wouldn't have had a clue which they were, and I wasn't that certain about having them right.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1342045587' post='1728829']
...If any of them had been played in isolation, I wouldn't have had a clue which they were...[/quote]

Fair comment, I could only tell which was which by comparing them with each other.

• 4 weeks later...

Played with my 2010 American Jazz at our gig last night. Black and maple, it's a looker, great build quality and very slick and easy to play. Good sound too with all of the Jazz growl - but, in a 3-piece, it doesn't seem to fill the sound out as well as my USA Precisions.

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341928567' post='1726353']
Boing! Thump! Boom! Twang! Womb!
Burp! Honk! Pop! Slap! Ping! Splurt!
[/quote]

Sounds like a good night out to me :P

...anyway... :ph34r: I started out on P-basses, then had an affair with a jazz (very nice it was too, and I will always keep the bass), but as soon as I got my new P-bass, I realised what I had been missing.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1295049780' post='1090032']
I believe this aswell.

If you can see the wood grain, so much the better, the purchase becomes even more justifiable because then you have a bass that is unique, and reminds you of home.
[/quote]

I have a split view about this - of course the sound is what counts, but the appearance of your bass can make you feel a specific way about it and because the way you feel affects the way you play (or, surely, otherwise you're not a musician just a technician?) to discount the way the look makes the player feel would not be sensible? I *love* the way my bass looks - as well as its sound - and this fact makes me feel differently when I make music with it. That's because I'm a (human) musician :)