Why become a member? ×

The most expensive bedroom bass?

niceguyhomer

Very sadly, I think my band playing days are slowly coming to an end but undyturd, I still want to carry on playing the hallowed instrument. I wouldn't need all the stuff I have so I've totted up everything I have bass-wise and worked out that if I sold it all and put a bit of money towards it, I could afford something that is so shexxy it makes my teeth itch....erm this...

I have serious GAS for this work of art but is £3.5K too much for something that'll never leave my house?

Go for it! I've got better gear now than I hever had - even dreamt of in my younger days, treat yourself while you can, it adds to the pleasure of playing & keeps the interest.

As said above it's a good idea to hang onto a workhorse, you never know what might come along when least expected.

Cheerz, John

Bwahahaha!

Retirement???

I took up playing bass (as in, started as a complete novice) a week before my 49th birthday.

I'll stop when arthritis takes over my hands, and not before.

Bedroom bass???

I gig every bass that passes through my hands (unles they pass through too quickly :) ), I'm not particularly anal, and I have yet to damage a bass at a gig. How many gigs? Only about 30 in my life (see above) but enough to convince me that the risk is perfectly acceptable.

If you bought a new BMW 535, would you leave it in the garage so you could drive your old Ford Fiesta?

I here what you're saying Happy Jack but after playing theatres to sit down paying audiences for the last 18 months, I don't think I can go back to playing in pubs to 6 people hence my decision. I've beet gigging for nigh on 43 years and done if not all but most of it and I just want to end with a nice taste in my mouth is all.

[quote name='Machines' post='1081521' date='Jan 7 2011, 08:59 PM']Looks nice though, but would you go for a solid finish at that price ?[/quote]

No choice as far as I know Matt it only comes in solid colours. If you look at the Dingwall website you'll see a nice paler blue - that'd be the one...oh yessssssss

I think you owe yourelf this bass and a really good wee practice amp to play through at home.

As bass is our passion I think it would be daft not to reach the peak of your desires and finish on a high with something to show for it.

You deserve this bass and its up to you on what you do with it once you have it.

conversation at work the other day.

Person X: "what are you doing with all the money you're saving on your mortgage with the low interest rates? I am still paying it in to pay it off 2 years early"

Person Y: "I am building up some shares, and my brother's buying silver"

Me: "I've blown it all on bass gear, takeaways for me and the wife and toys for the kids"

Persons X & Y: " :) "

My advice to you, buy it. As Clarky says, you only live once.

If you are going to spend some time playing at home and will enjoy doing so then who's to say it's not a great investment?

It'll keep you happy, interested, alert and improve your overall mental well-being.

Sounds Luke £3.5K very well spent to me!

If you can play to a decent standard in theatres then what is all this 6 men and a dog pub stuff.....??

Who does that..??? those gigs just need managing..!!
Times are hard for the industry at that level but if you can be a bit discerning with the gigs, then you needn't have to put up with that.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1081571' date='Jan 7 2011, 10:07 PM']How ya getting on with it?...Might have to come over to Hull soon.... :) I have really bad GAS for a Dingwall[/quote]

You are more than welcome to pop down for a coffee - although I am thinking about swapping it for another Sadowsky...

Regards how I'm getting on with it - I really can't get on with passive basses! Fanned frets don't need any adjustment, and I can swap between it and my Sadowsky Jazz without a 2nd thought. Neck itself would be perfect if it didn't have a none Jazz nut. 41mm rings a bell - can anyone confirm? Weight and build quality are top notch - it oozes quality and weighs 8lbs. Feels in a different league to the Sadowsky (Metro) surprisingly. It's really bright but not in a negative way, the pickups are awesome - sounds like a slightly brighter version of a Yamaha Bb1024. Comes with a branded Levi gig bag and all the tools - all different size depending on the job! Mine has the tonestyler circuit.
This is the actual bass:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSp0P3xhKuA&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSp0P3xhKuA...be_gdata_player[/url]

I bought it from Bassdirect - sounds far more alive than the sunburst in stock, even though the sunburst was noticeably lighter. Feel free to pop down and have a look at it.

Edited by Jamesemt

Nah just flogged off loads of cheap guitars and decided on a select few (Dingwall, Sadowsky Metro customised by John East, Jap P 62 nitro special with US 62 Jazz neck, P Retro and Wizard Thumper). Although since you last came down I've gone through about thirty basses...Oh and I'm awaiting a Shuker custom build if it ever arrives (ordered May 2009...)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1081626' date='Jan 7 2011, 11:00 PM']If I come over I'll bring my Shuker - just had a U Retro 5 knob Deluxe installed - nice.[/quote]

That sounds great, although possibly complicated. I had to get rid of a 3 knob J retro as it was too much to think about!

Started aged 47 about 11 years ago. Some pub gigs can be a bit depressing, but as our guitarist says, it beats staying at home watching Strictly Come Skating. And it is still possible to find pub gigs and parties that are worth the effort. In a similar situation I think I'd take a well earned break, but expect the lure of the crowd to pull me back at some point.

If you want it & you can afford it then buy it.
I haven't gigged for 5 years & have absolutely no intention whatsoever of doing so again. Since that last gig I've bought the most expensive load of gear I've ever had. I love my Zons & don't see why I should downgrade my gear just because I'm not in a band anymore.