Why become a member? ×

Right Then, Here Goes (pt 2)

Hot Tub

Well, it's been almost exactly a year since I first played live to an audience at Mrs HT's 40th birthday. Some of you may remember the tales of woe, followed by massive encouragement, followed by joyous success which I posted on this forum at the time. (See my sig for the link, but only if you have some time on your hands!).

Anyhoo, having been jamming a bit recently with a mate who's a hugely talented singer/songwriter/guitarist, I've decided to take the plunge again and play at an open mic night in one of the local pubs, along with said mate. We went a couple of months ago just to suss it out, and it's very folk-oriented although the organiser is perfectly happy for people to play absolutely anything. Thing is, my talented mate doesn't really do covers; it's all originals, so the plan is that we're gonna do three of his songs.

Now it's only going to be acoustic guitars, possibly a flute, possibly a fiddle - my bass will be the only electric instrument there. No mics, no PA, nothing. Totally acoustic. To me, this means that the bass will be under an even bigger microscope than "normal". That and the aforementioned fact that we'll be doing originals, which is nine miles out of my comfort zone, means that I'm back to practising like crazy and filling my undercrackers on a regular basis!

I have details of the songs - chords, progressions, fills, etc - that we've been playing around with. The actual playing of the songs isn't my question here. Sorry to take so long to get to it!

My question/issue is: The performers who were there before (and who most likely will be again) are highly talented pro or semi-pro musicians. They have albums! Which you can buy! In shops! I'm worried that I'm just gonna look like a d!ck. Is this normal? Am I being paranoid? And on a gear note, I don't know whether to take my 3x10" MarkBass combo, or my little Ashdown Perfect10. One is sublime, the other ridiculous, but I'm not sure which is which!?!?

Any advice, pointers, experiences, muppetry, gratefully received!

:)

take the small ashdown....plug in and play [your] basslines....no one apart from your mates heard them....keep it tight n simple....done a few open mics myself....i find playin the bass on these occasions quite relaxing....relax and enjoy it....im sure you will be fine....good luck.

I'd be tempted to take the Ashdown, especially if there aren't even mic's. If nothing else, it shows you're making the effort to fit in. As for the muso's in the audience, you're the one with the gig that night :)

Enjoy it, play well and report back!

Having a record out is no indicator of quality. If these guys are so hot, why are they spending their time at open mic nights?

If I may say so, and I do so with absolute respect, your self talk is atrocious :) You are talking yourself into believing everyone else is wonderfully talented and you are s***. If your singer songwriter friend is as good as you say he is, why would he work with you if you couldn't cut it? You need to trust that he knows what he wants from you and that, as he doesn't kick you into touch, you must be delivering at at least an acceptable level. Give yourself a break. Its not paranoia; its low self esteem. Trust me; they are MANY guys out there that can't play for toffee who are making a living at it. Don't keep beating yourself up.

+1 for the Ashdown.

As for the worries about what any pro or semi pro in the audience might think - just don't!
If they are at a 'plug n play' night then they'll not be too far up the 'pro ladder' to have forgotten how nerve wracking things can be for relative 'newbies'.

People go to 'plug n play' nights for all sorts of reasons - to see others perform, to pick up hints and tips and to meet other local muso's.
The one thing they ALL have in common is that they're there to play and will all be supportive of anyone who joins in!

Relax and enjoy :)

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='1076777' date='Jan 3 2011, 09:07 PM']My question/issue is: The performers who were there before (and who most likely will be again) are highly talented pro or semi-pro musicians. They have albums! Which you can buy! In shops![/quote]

Highly-talented semi-pro flautists and fiddle players are most unlikely to sneer at your bass playing.

Firstly because (IME) good musicians don't sneer at people who are trying, and doing their best. They are more likely to be hugely supportive.

Secondly because, if they don't play bass themselves, what is there to sneer at?

Turn up with minimum kit, no attitude, and aiming to provide a foundation that others will build on. You'll be fine.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1076813' date='Jan 3 2011, 09:33 PM']Having a record out is no indicator of quality. If these guys are so hot, why are they spending their time at open mic nights?

If I may say so, and I do so with absolute respect, your self talk is atrocious :) You are talking yourself into believing everyone else is wonderfully talented and you are s***. If your singer songwriter friend is as good as you say he is, why would he work with you if you couldn't cut it? You need to trust that he knows what he wants from you and that, as he doesn't kick you into touch, you must be delivering at at least an acceptable level. Give yourself a break. Its not paranoia; its low self esteem. Trust me; they are MANY guys out there that can't play for toffee who are making a living at it. Don't keep beating yourself up.[/quote]

listen to the wise man cause it's good advice. All I'll add in terms of looking like a dick, other than completely going over the top (acting like an actual dick) the way to come over worst is to be worrying about how others see you - people can smell fear and self-consciousness a mile off (wee bit of nerves, no problem).. Take the advice about equipment if you need it but then just be confident in your material. if they are decent musicians (and not dicks) they will appreciate original tunes; they wont be worried about your combo or anything else.

Edited by RichardFoggo

Most of the really talented people I have met are very humble many of them teach so can spot talent even before it is fully developed. Like most people they like a good night out and can appreciate someone having a go and doing their best, having fun is contagious so just enjoy it. It is the people with less little talent and confidence who sit there pulling other people to pieces, there the ones who always show off rather then make music and go on about artistic integrity.

Take what you like the sound of, open mic nights are a bit of Fun and I always have most fun with my familiar tone, you sound well practiced enough, so just enjoy it, you'll be on stage 15 mins tops with 3 songs, that's not enough time to worry AND enjoy it!

Let us know how it goes, and some on here will be eager to hear your advice as a lot will be in the same mind set!

If your mate is happy with what you contribute to his songs, that is the main thing. He wrote them, and presumably wouldn`t want someone playing them other than he intended them to be heard. Therefore, if you can play them, you are good enough.

I have found that "real" musicians only ever offer support to others, even if they don`t particularly like the style of music being played. it`s only the wannabees that tend to criticise.

The difference between those that talk, and those that walk.

And here we are again! Thanks guys, seriously, your support and encouragement are once again absolutely amazing! :)

Looks like the little Ashdown will be the box of choice then. The "gig" is on Wednesday evening, so I'll definitely report back afterwards; probably Thursday morning!

The guy I'm playing with has had me do the bass for one of his songs in the studio, and I'm lined up for a couple more, so yes, I must be doing something right!

Bilbo - Are we married? :) You sound EXACTLY like my wife! Are you my wife???

Seriously though, Bilbo and everyone else, THANK-YOU. BassChat is amazing!

:lol:

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='1076777' date='Jan 3 2011, 09:07 PM']My question/issue is: The performers who were there before (and who most likely will be again) are highly talented pro or semi-pro musicians. They have albums! Which you can buy! In shops! I'm worried that I'm just gonna look like a d!ck. Is this normal? Am I being paranoid? And on a gear note, I don't know whether to take my 3x10" MarkBass combo, or my little Ashdown Perfect10. One is sublime, the other ridiculous, but I'm not sure which is which!?![/quote]

I have met a lot of talented pro and semi pros in my lifetime who's abilities scare me, but 99% of them have been humble and respectful towards anyone who enjoys playing, same experience applies to sports, apart from the odd up himself dick, so, unless you self inflate yourself (which you obviously don't) no one is going think bad of you, they'll be on your side

Your friend (and the others ) obviously wants you to perform with him, and you value his judgement don't you?

It sounds like you are going to play parts you have already practiced, so you wont be put on the spot to Jam, so if you play the parts as rehearsed, nothing more is asked of you

Good luck

I'm hooked :)

Edited by lojo

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1077589' date='Jan 4 2011, 05:50 PM']The people most likely to pull your playing apart are the guy in his 40s who used to play bass, but gave up when he left college and became a solicitor, and the guy whose brother-in-law was a roady for Shawaddywaddy. You don't need to worry about either of them.[/quote]

Very true!

I've been there before... not so much the self doubt thing... but playing at acoustic open mics with a singer songwriter... It's good fun and certainly improved me a player and writer a lot more than knocking around doing covers with some "all the gear" crew.

We were an acoustic duo - we're now a 4 piece electric band with 2 fellas who both asked to join after said open mics. Which is nice.

[quote name='RichardFoggo' post='1076833' date='Jan 3 2011, 09:48 PM']people can smell fear and self-consciousness a mile off (bit of wee, no problem)..[/quote] - Fixed :)

Otherwise, what everyone else has said. Small amp, enjoy it, don't worry, be happy you're out playing with mates who are happy with what you're adding.

Take the Ashdown and do your thang. Relax, enjoy, repeat.

Alternatively...

1. Arrive in limo
2. demand to know where dressing room, hookers, drugs and fee are
3. Have your security entourage confiscate all cameras
4. Play through the loudest rig you can find
5. Play [i][/i]anything you flippin well please[i][/i], regardless of the script
6. leave in a blaze of glory/bewilderment

Seems to work for quite a few signed bands out there...

Have fun!

BB

[quote name='borisbrain' post='1078629' date='Jan 5 2011, 02:53 PM']1. Arrive in limo
2. Hold impromptu BBQ in back of limo
3. Set fire to limo
4. Abandon limo. Quickly.[/quote]

Well, it worked for Kings Of Leon ...

Edited by Happy Jack

• 2 months later...

Well, after a few months and several cancellations, this folky open mic jam thingy finally went ahead last night. Based on the advice on this thread, I took my little Ashdown Perfect 10. Walked in, and there's a bl%$dy PA set up! It wasn't huge, and pretty basic, but I thought my little combo would seriously struggle. As it turned out, it wasn't that loud, and my combo produced a rather lovely sound. Very happy.

There were a dozen or so other musicians there, some playing originals, some playing covers, and an audience of about 30/40 people.

So, my mate and I get up towards the end of the first half and do three of his original songs. I didn't drop a note and we got a rapturous reception! Seriously, it was amazing! I was subsequently complimented on my playing, and my sound, by several of the people there. And the general consensus from the audience was that with the exception of one guy who was simply in a league of his own, we were the best performers by a significant margin. We're already booked in for next month's session, and have been asked if we can do more songs - possibly a 30/40min "set". Very, very happy! I believe that the best compliment a musician can get is one that comes from another musician. That's what happened and last night was a thoroughly enjoyable, roaring success. Apart from the last 10min....

At the end of the night, a couple of folks got up to do an impromptu blues jam and asked if I'd join in. I did, and it all went swimmingly, until my amp died! According to Mrs HT, this was immediately followed by a serious Spinal Tap moment, as I frantically checked plugs, cables, power supplies, switches, but to no avail. The little Ashdown box had been pushed to its limit and was thoroughly dead. Not happy. Anyhoo, opened it up this morning and found two blown fuses. One is the power supply to the board from the transformer, the other is speaker protection. Can't tell if they're anti-surge, slo-blow, bog standard, or sommat else, but will have a trawl online and see what I can find. Looks like no serious damage done.

Next month I'll be taking the MarkBass "Beast". I won't use a fraction of its potential, but at least I know it'll easily handle anything I can throw at it.

Thanks again for all your advice and support. I'm actually starting to enjoy this!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1076813' date='Jan 3 2011, 09:33 PM']Having a record out is no indicator of quality. If these guys are so hot, why are they spending their time at open mic nights?

If I may say so, and I do so with absolute respect, your self talk is atrocious :) You are talking yourself into believing everyone else is wonderfully talented and you are s***. If your singer songwriter friend is as good as you say he is, why would he work with you if you couldn't cut it? You need to trust that he knows what he wants from you and that, as he doesn't kick you into touch, you must be delivering at at least an acceptable level. Give yourself a break. Its not paranoia; its low self esteem. Trust me; they are MANY guys out there that can't play for toffee who are making a living at it. Don't keep beating yourself up.[/quote]

This is more than correct, IMV....the whole game is full of BS.

Besides, it is open mic, so anything goes, with good grace.

Sometimes you get some poeple trying to dominate it and showcase what they have to the exclusion of all else but you have to ask why they need to.

Take your turn and get it done..and go from there.

I'd check out what gear normally arrives and then go from there. If, as some of these are organised, the 'regular' band takes their gear, have a word with the bass player and ask him nicely if he wouldn't mind lending you his gear for the acoustic set. Also, ask him about the gear and get him onside..you might end as basss buddies.

Open mic nights are popular ways of pubs filling an empty night..you get a few punters along and also the players thenmselves buy drinks, so it is a win all round.