Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Hootenanny 2010.

neilb

Sure there are flashier players out there, and players with superhuman chops etc, but it's all about playing for the situation, and I humbly think he does it well. There is not really a weak link in Jools band unless you count the incessant boogie widdlings of the man himself. Awesome musicians, great rhythm section.

[quote name='grayn' post='1074169' date='Jan 1 2011, 07:47 AM']I only caught half an hour of it but that was enough.

Most of the acts were loathsome and the sycophantic talk was nauseating, as usual, with JH.

Missed Daultrey, unfortunately.

There was some nice basses on show, though. The guy in Vampire Weekend, seemed to be playing an Italia. And the house band's 6-string bass, looks amazing.

Hootenaney :)[/quote]
i thought he had a rik

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1074850' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:49 PM']Difference is that you are a drummer! In fact I still think of you as a drummer rather than a bassist that's how we met a mere 11 years ago.

Guess bassists that don't play drums look for something slighty different. Unfortunately my opinion is with the masses here :)[/quote]

Well,I play a bit of drums and my Dads been a pro drummer forever,so I'm very big on drummers and drumming,so I'm not looking at it from a bass player point of view.

Sorry doddy. I know we can differ that is fine. But you can't say he is sh*te as that is so obviously not true. My view (not necessarily the right or only one) is that he plays to make the song and singer shine. Not alot of rhythm section players do that to my ears. I would agree that hundreds of drummers have perhaps got more impressive soloing skills and chops (5 mins on YouTube is all you need) but he's a great "song" player I think at least.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1074883' date='Jan 1 2011, 11:33 PM']Nice One Doddy - So much for reasoned debate. I'm sure you are right and I shall retract my foolish opinions.[/quote]

I given my argument why I don't think he's any good. I could name a ton of players who,I honestly believe, will blow him away in every conceivable way,be it technically or 'playing for the song'.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1074886' date='Jan 1 2011, 11:36 PM']Guys -

It's just an opinion. Your both allowed to have different points of view and your both allowed to voice them. Which you've done. It doesn't need further 'debate'[/quote]

+ 1

Opinions aside. The facts are that GL may not be the best player ever and "joe bloggs" down the street might blow him away, but at the end of the day "joe bloggs" is just that... another stranger. GL has played behind countless legendary acts and will have experiences and a CV that the majority of us would die for. Good pubtalk I'd bet!

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1074900' date='Jan 1 2011, 11:55 PM']It's just that to label him as "sh*te" does a great pro a dis-service, that's all that got me.

Just my 2p.[/quote]

I'm sorry if it was the word 'sh*te' that caused the problem. But,I will honestly say that he is one of the weakest 'known' players that I've ever seen live (all 3 or 4 times).

I don't normally get involved in this type of thing, but....

I am in Doddy's camp I'm afraid. Before I go any further I would like to point out that I wouldn't go as far as saying he's s**te and as a former drummer he's certainly better than I ever was, but there's something missing in his feel for me. I did see them live once as well.

For me, it always feels as though he's struggling to keep up. He reminds me of a drummer I once knew who was so engrossed in trying to hit the drum hard and look good doing it, that he would get a bit behind. I know some drummers do play behind the beat for effect now and then, but it doesn't sound like that to me.

For me, when they are playing funk/soul covers backing original singers, something is definitely missing, as if it's being kept too straight and plain. I'd even be tempted to look at the bass player for an explanation. I'm not talking about flashiness and over playing, I'm talking about feel.

This is all my opinion of course. And someone who disagrees with me is welcome to.

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Doddy' post='1074838' date='Jan 1 2011, 10:40 PM']I think it's spot on- I think he's sh*te. No balls,technique or swing. I regularly play with drummers who blow him in every single way.[/quote]
Somehow, it comes as no suprise to me that you'd say that. :)

sh*te. No balls,technique or swing. HA, (dangly bits)

BTW
doubtless you work with some "drummers who would (WISH) to blow him in every single way", but thats another thread :)

Edited by witterth

It's not that a drummer has to be a virtuosos, he just has to be tight and keep a band together..
I'm watching the program a lot over here in Belgium and everytime I get annoyed by something which I cannot put my finger on, it turns out to be the drums.
He's not a bad player but he misses that great groove and he seems to be on the edge of this playing.
I have to admit that I mostly listen as a bass-player (I can enjoy everything from Sex Pistols to Santana) but I'm just thinking whenever I hear or see something : "Does it swing" and does it make me tap my foot ?
There have been a lot of occasions during the Holland shows that I was thinking "these drums are not in the same league as the bass-playing is".

[quote name='witterth' post='1074963' date='Jan 2 2011, 01:32 AM']Somehow, it comes as no suprise to me that you'd say that. :)

sh*te. No balls,technique or swing. HA, (dangly bits)

BTW
doubtless you work with some "drummers who would (WISH) to blow him in every single way", but thats another thread :)[/quote]

I wouldnt go down that route with Doddy witterth I think he plays with a few tasty players everyday, Maybe his use of the word sh*te was just a little unfortunate and should of stuck with not a great drummer in his opinion instead? Also just because you havent heard of a player doesnt make them wish they could play like anyone else. I have played with many drummers IMO better than the JH drummer that wouldnt wish to blow him away but would like his seat in the band maybe which are different things.

Your post has a wiff of the if we havent heard of them then they cant be as good as X which is rubbish as we all know. That said I wouldnt use the word sh*te about any other musician (OK maybe florence and the machine) so a little slap on Doddys wrist I reckon. :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1075065' date='Jan 2 2011, 10:28 AM']I have played with many drummers IMO better than the JH drummer that wouldnt wish to blow him away but would like his seat in the band maybe which are different things.[/quote]

This is what I meant.

Personally, I just think that GL is more than just a player to the Jools Holland band... He's a character and a recognisable face. Even my parents who know nothing at all about music always pass comment such as "is that old fella still playing for Jools?". Does that make GL part-drummer, part-marketing gimmick?

By the way, when did this become "drumchat"?? :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1074881' date='Jan 1 2011, 11:31 PM']I think he also has a black Rik, not sure what this one is though[/quote]
The green bass played by the Vampire Weekend guy, the one that looks a little like a Rickenbacker 4005, is a Kustom K200D. Here's a couple of others for comparison:

He talks about it [url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/vampire-weekend-/May-2010/113939"]here[/url].

Edited by EssentialTension

FWIW, my take on things-

Great - Cee Lo Green, Plan B, Ruby Turner, Rumer, Bellowhead, Secret Sisters and the JH Big Band as usual.
Average - Roger Daltrey, Toots, Kylie (looking great as usual though!)
Err... - Wanda Jackson, Alison Moyet, Vampire Weekend, Stephen K Amos....

All in all still a great show IMO, plenty of variety etc. Must admit I've always thought Gilson's drumming fits in fine
with the JH band, and he plays like someone who listens to whats needed to me.

Always an easy target, but still the best place (IMO of course) for live music on mainstream telly.

Happy New year.

I've said he isn't what I would look for..but then I am not the MD.
I've seen the band live and the whole thing works...whether you would want a more flambouyant guy there, I am not so sure.
He isn't modern and the original gig didn't need that..but now that they back so many other guys, a bit more on the table might be an idea, from my POV. But, again, not my call.

It is certainly a chair to covet though.

I think this gig has progressed from the Boogie band to a kind of 'Late Night' idea. If you think the drum is out of synch in that (JH ) chair then so would JH be as he is VERY stylised.

I prefer a better mix of players IF you are going to mix the genres. Sanborn's Late Show and the Letterman gig are the way to go ( IMV ) ..but then you are tieing down some serious ( triple scale and some ) talent and the budget must be sky-high.

I still think the show is worth checking out and sometimes the bill works for you and sometimes it doesn't..but hey, that's a music show for you.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1075172' date='Jan 2 2011, 12:06 PM']I still think the show is worth checking out and sometimes the bill works for you and sometimes it doesn't..but hey, that's a music show for you.[/quote]
Spot on.

I can't think of a better music show on mainstream TV at present and its eclecticism is one of its great assets; it's hardly the fault of the show if you don't like all the music being presented. At least it's full of real musicians playing live.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1074928' date='Jan 2 2011, 12:40 AM']Is Dave Swift a bass chatter I wonder what his take on him would be? Maybe he works well in the band , it's no good having the best drummer if they upset the apple cart. Surely he can't be sh*te?[/quote]

Why would he come on here to clarify if someone is shi#e or not?
JH is happy with him, otherwise he would not have been doing the gig for God knows how many years.
After all JH gets the gigs [and plenty of them] and dishes out the wonga.

I have known Dave for years, [and he does lurk here , although not very often]
And i do know he will not come on here and get involved in a public flogging Muso bashing/debate of work colleagues.
Sure he has better things to do. Like getting yet another sponership deal. :)

I think good on JH for a keeping TV gig going [not easy these days in the UK] - Artist wise you are never going to please evryone.

Garry

Edited by lowdown