Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

[quote name='ukulelelab' timestamp='1400877552' post='2457907']
My '66 LPB

[/quote]
I've got serious P GAS again and REALLY want a pre-1968 feeling bass, to the point where I might be sending a "Build it" email to Mark at Limelight custom basses/cool and classic guitars! This LPB has made my specs go out the window! I really don't know what colour to go now!

Do I go LPB, something I've ALWAYS wanted! Or do I stick to the 3TS and Tort look? Or do I go Fiesta Red and Tort? Or do I go completely custom colour wise and have a red in the shade of my beloved Sunderland AFC!? Damn you for this beautiful LPB P!

While I'm posting, can someone kindly point me in the direction of how to upload pictures? Wanna stick my MIM Oly White P up!

My P Bass has undergone some changes as of late, thanks to the lovely members of Basschat. It now comprises of:
Fender MIM P Bass body
Warmoth 21 fret Tele Bass neck
Geddy Lee Jazz Bass tuners
Wizard Thumper
Tort scratchplate

I wasn't 100% about the Warmoth neck to begin with as I prefer a P-width nut, but the Tele Bass neck is very slim in terms of width, but full and chunky front to back, it's great to play. I may need to do a fill and re-drill on the headstock as the existing tuner screw holes don't quite match up with the Geddy tuners, but it's not an issue just now. My main issue is the scratchplate, the pickup rout and the jack socket don't match with where they should be, and it's causing the plate to warp, hence the tug bar, it's helping to hold it in place. It does mean I can wedge a pick in between the scratchplate and the fretboard overhang, which is handy.

In hindsight I should've taken the picture of the bass with the bridge cover on to hide the chips in the finish (the previous custodian of the body obviously wasn't too handy with a drill).

Edited by Jono Bolton

I am a true precision bass guy.. Every other bass that I have has to have a sound I can dial in that reminds of that.

I have owned a ton of p basses and currently have two which I am really over the moon about..
Here's the list of what I owned and eventually sold

1965 L serial plate sunburst refinned in oly white
1970 all original in oly white
2002 CS Pino Palladino signature
2005 Bob Glaub skyline with Klein Pino pickups
2011 Roadworn '57 reissue
1982 JV '57 reissue domestic (very early very rare)

I currently have two P basses that both are quite exeptional in tone and playability.

1962 Precision Bass currently being restored in it's original sunburst this one has the radiused board not the slab just like the bass of James Jamerson
2013 '63 reissue in seminole red (I don't see any difference in Dakota red) this is without a doubt the best reissue fender has ever made and it's the closest copy to my '62
In feel.

Sound clip of my '62 with GHS flatwounds
https://soundcloud.com/valar-music/astronaut-4-26-13

Sound clip of my '63 reissue with Labella flatwounds
https://soundcloud.com/bram-schoonderbeek/american-vintage-63-reissue-precision-bass

Edited by Brams77

Sure I have... This is how I bought it;)
It was sanded very lightly and not sanded under the pg, as you can see, and also the cavities where left in tact. All hardware and pickguard were in exeptional condition making it a great bass to get refinned, very happy with that find, and I got it from someone in Australia.. Thats how far my bass network stretches pretty wild huh:P

If restore is your thing then replica's might be too;) I have been waiting almost two years for my luthier to make me a perfect replica 66 bass, he even xrayed an original '66 neck to get everything exactly the same internally also it features a Brazillian rosewood board.. It's almost finished cant wait even tho iTS not a precision..

Edited by Brams77

I'm back after a long break away. Can never remember if deefer, or deefer_dog is the proper account for here, oh well.

Here's my P, Squier with Seymour Duncan Basslines, black guard, and black headstock. Credit to the guy I got it off (Traded a Warwick RB streamer 4 for it ) for doing the work. I need to get a p-bass decal though.

Sorry for potato quality, but it's a phone pic.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1403781918' post='2486237']
Here's my latest addition, which is the result of a 20 year quest, and 3 years of negotiating......and almost begging, on this particular example.
1966 Slab Precision, maple-cap. 1 of 16 examples left, and 1 of only 8 examples that are 100% original stock.

[/quote]

WOW!
I am gob smacked!
Just incredible Rick.

Is there any chance that you could post a group picture of your original basses please?
I'd love to see them al together.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1403781918' post='2486237']
Here's my latest addition, which is the result of a 20 year quest, and 3 years of negotiating......and almost begging, on this particular example.
1966 Slab Precision, maple-cap. 1 of 16 examples left, and 1 of only 8 examples that are 100% original stock.

[/quote]

Wow, that's gorgeous! These have recently piqued my interest so I can only imagine how chuffed you must be feeling at the moment. Congratulations!

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1403893201' post='2487542']
For Chris Horton........

OK, a hastily taken shot with my iphone, after work;

'53 build; '82 JV; '60 P ;'66 Slab build
'61 J
'52 P; '58 P; '66 Slab; '68 Tele

[/quote]Phwoooaaaarrrrrrr

[URL=http://s757.photobucket.com/user/Nibody/media/EFAD0E3D-3E2E-45A9-BC3B-D83E4BFCC92B.jpg.html][IMG]http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/Nibody/EFAD0E3D-3E2E-45A9-BC3B-D83E4BFCC92B.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Pales into insignificance next to that 66 Slab...