Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

[quote name='Leon Transaxle' timestamp='1330706125' post='1562004']
My pair of Ps

[IMG]http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj612/LeonTransaxle/precisions.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

That pair looks great :)
Can you tell us a bit about the bass on the left with the j &p pickups please ? Looks sweeeeeet :)

Here's my recently completed bitsa (Allparts, Fender, Schaller, KiOgon, Wilkinson) fretless, with various bits acquired from Basschatters. I could never afford a real fretless Fender P, but this one sounds and plays great for alot less money :D

[sub][quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1330773219' post='1562723']
Here's my recently completed bitsa (Allparts, Fender, Schaller, KiOgon, Wilkinson) fretless, with various bits acquired from Basschatters. I could never afford a real fretless Fender P, but this one sounds and plays great for alot less money :D
[/quote][/sub]
[sub]Very nice. Lot to be said for bitsa's - all three of mine (apart from the Westfield) are Bitsa's. Each has their own "sound" and feel (though they all have identical necks).[/sub]

I have 3 fretlesses with different fingerboards - this one's mahogany, then I have a lacquered maple Maya Pbass and a rosewood Jazz. There is a slight difference in tone from the fingerboard wood - not much, but a very slight difference. This new fretless has a good overall solid feel when playing.

There's a short build diary about it here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/167834-fretless-precision-project"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/167834-fretless-precision-project[/url]

Edited by Jerry_B

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1330095689' post='1552681']
New Bass Day for me - my Shuker P bass has just arrived. Details here for anyone interested: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169068-nbd-shuker-precision-with-jazz-neck/"]http://basschat.co.u...with-jazz-neck/[/url]

[/quote]

That looks like a nice bass there Tredders. And I suspect those pickups have some grunt to them!

Terrible pic of my bitsa P.
Squier Jazz neck, no-name solid body, big chunky bridge, Wilko pickup, cream pearl plate, EMG 2-band eq.
Future plans include a bridge J pup.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/jazza42uk/Pbassfinished3.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1330775464' post='1562771']
That looks like a nice bass there Tredders. And I suspect those pickups have some grunt to them!
[/quote]

Thanks Lozz - I absolutely love it. The Delanos are really nice pups - they're a bit meatier than regular P bass pups. I'm hugely impressed with the P Retro, too. I usually hate active basses, but Jon was right - it still sounds like a P bass, only better!

[b]My Custom Precision Has Landed![/b]

First posted this in Build Diaries, but I reckon out of 20,000-odd BassChatters, there must still be at least four or five who haven't seen this! :lol: And I feel 'Precisions' should be it's rightful home. Now read on:

There are various features that I like about Precision basses spanning the 50s, 60s and 70s. What if it were possible to bring them together in one bass? I like the 50s vibe, but I like the comfort of contours. I like the 50s-type pickguard shape but also the early 60s-type 3-ply guards. A 51-type single coil pick-up is fine, but the 57-type split pick-up is more versatile, imho... and I got very used to the 70s-type 'F' stamped neck plate on my beloved USA Fender 76 Precision...

So I approached our own Howard Satterley (The Bass Doc) with a very dodgy Photoshop mock-up of what I wanted... this was the brief:

Body: Alder in vintage white. 57-type contours and radiussing, with routing for 51-type control plate. 62-type 3-ply pickguard in mint/black/mint, cut to 51-type shape.

Neck: Allparts Fender-licensed one-piece maple neck with skunk stripe, truss rod adjustment at heel. 51-type headstock shape. Fender 'spaghetti' decal under clear coat. Vintage tint. 70s-type radius. Synthetic bone nut. Black dots.

Hardware: Fender strap buttons. Side-mounted jack socket in cat's-eye plate. 57-type bridge with threaded barrels. 51-type control plate with chrome dome knobs. 70s-type 'F'-stamped neck plate on black cushion. Kluson reverse vintage tuners. La Bella Deep Talkin' 760FL strings.

Electrics: Seymour Duncan Vintage SPB-1 split pickup. CTS solid shaft pots. Ceramic disc 0.05uF cap.

Am I a happy bunny? Well, finally I know what 'plays like butter' means. The set-up is perfect, the action low and there is no fret buzz whatsoever from any string at any fret position. It sounds great, very warm, woody and present, with that classic 'clicky' attack when played with a pick...a lot like a Precision Bass, in fact. ;) So yes, I'm a very happy bunny indeed!

My Precision Bass GAS is finally over! Many thanks and heartfelt gratitude to Howard for his skill, endless patience and excellent communications. And thanks for all the bubble wrap, Uncle Horrid! :D

[b]PICKGUARD UPDATE 23/11/2012: [/b]

[b]*NEW!* NOW MORE MINTY! GUARANTEED TO INCREASE THE SIZE OF YOUR TESTICLES!*[/b]

The Bass Doc has made me a brand new mint pickguard which is much more 'minty' than the rather subtle mint original, and is much more in keeping with my (admittedly crap) Photoshop mock-up... this is the colour scheme I had in mind! Thanks, Uncle! :D

* May not increase the size of your testicles. The size of your testicles can go up or down.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1331454616' post='1572909']
@Discreet B)
I saw some TOTP2 last night & this reminded me of something :D [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ShxkcqUlQ[/media]
[/quote]

I can remember watching that back in my teens and feeling very very sorry for the band, even though I lusted at Suzy.

Mate of mine later went on to play with her :unsure:. Then got some cred back by joining up with Wishbone Ash

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1331454616' post='1572909']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]@Discreet [/font][/color] B)[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]I saw some TOTP2 last night & this reminded me of something :D[/quote]
[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1331458078' post='1572948']
...I lusted at Suzy. Mate of mine later went on to play with her :unsure:.
[/quote]

Hee, hee. Thanks for sharing, John. She must be a dwarf, look how big that Tele bass seems! :lol:
I would, though. I was 14 at the time and lusted after her too! Loving the white boots look...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331389685' post='1572223']

[/quote]

Discreet, what a wonderful and lovely beauty!
Congratulations, even from the pics you know how the bass sounds.
Also chapeau to the bassdoc, this bass shows how much this gentleman loves basses, it is obvious

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331389685' post='1572223']
[b]My Custom Precision Has Landed![/b]

First posted this in Build Diaries, but I reckon out of 20,000-odd BassChatters, there must still be at least four or five who haven't seen this! :lol: And I feel 'Precisions' should be it's rightful home. Now read on:

There are various features that I like about Precision basses spanning the 50s, 60s and 70s. What if it were possible to bring them together in one bass? I like the 50s vibe, but I like the comfort of contours. I like the 50s-type pickguard shape but also the early 60s-type 3-ply guards. A 51-type single coil pick-up is fine, but the 57-type split pick-up is more versatile, imho... and I got very used to the 70s-type 'F' stamped neck plate on my beloved USA Fender 76 Precision...

So I approached our own Howard Satterley (The Bass Doc) with a very dodgy Photoshop mock-up of what I wanted... this was the brief:

Body: Alder in vintage white. 57-type contours and radiussing, with routing for 51-type control plate. 62-type 3-ply pickguard in mint/black/mint, cut to 51-type shape.

Neck: Allparts Fender-licensed one-piece maple neck with skunk stripe, truss rod adjustment at heel. 51-type headstock shape. Fender 'spaghetti' decal under clear coat. Vintage tint. 70s-type radius. Synthetic bone nut. Black dots.

Hardware: Fender strap buttons. Side-mounted jack socket in cat's-eye plate. 57-type bridge with threaded barrels. 51-type control plate with chrome dome knobs. 70s-type 'F'-stamped neck plate on black cushion. Kluson reverse vintage tuners. La Bella Deep Talkin' 760FL strings.

Electrics: Seymour Duncan Vintage SPB-1 split pickup. CTS solid shaft pots. Ceramic disc 0.05uF cap.

Am I a happy bunny? Well, finally I know what 'plays like butter' means. The set-up is perfect, the action low and there is no fret buzz whatsoever from any string at any fret position. It sounds great, very warm, woody and present, with that classic 'clicky' attack when played with a pick...a lot like a Precision Bass, in fact. ;) So yes, I'm a very happy bunny indeed!

My Precision Bass GAS is finally over! Many thanks and heartfelt gratitude to Howard for his skill, endless patience and excellent communications. And thanks for all the bubble wrap, Uncle Horrid! :D

[/quote]

I love this bass , it looks fantastic.
This is in my top 10 list of Precisions in this thread :)

[quote name='73Jazz' timestamp='1331491614' post='1573704']
Discreet, what a wonderful and lovely beauty! Congratulations, even from the pics you know how the bass sounds.
Also chapeau to the bassdoc, this bass shows how much this gentleman loves basses, it is obvious
[/quote]

Thank you for your kind comments. Chapeau to the Bass Doc, indeed! :D

One of those awkward moments when your ex visits and your current squeeze is in the house... this 76P was mine for 36 years and now belongs to another... but don't they look good together, though? *threesome fantasy*

The owner was kind enough to lend me this 76 for a project which needed 'that' sound... I didn't want to replace the flats on my custom P to make one recording... thanks very much, Dave! It's going to be very hard to give it back! ;)

Mark :)

Edited by discreet