Why become a member? ×

What kind of pick do you use?

Chris2112

Dunlop tortex 0.73mm or if i feel in a heavier mood/need more definition and bite i switch up to a 0.88 tortex pick. For me the 0.73 is the best of both worlds for me, i can play very fast and it keeps the definition of thicker picks.

I've only been playing with a pick now about 6 months, when i started looking into picks I bought a few of the lucky dip bags off ebay and just tried loads that way before settling on the tor 0.73mms.

On the rare occasion that I use one Cactus picks - heavy (1mm) - got some free when I bought some vintage Boss gear from the birminghambossboutique, actually really comfortable to use and a nice edgy tone too.

[url="http://cactuspicks.com/"]http://cactuspicks.com/[/url]

Everything else just falls apart after a couple of thrashings, but these seem to last and last.

[quote name='robocorpse' post='1073222' date='Dec 30 2010, 10:22 PM']I can't believe nobody has mentioned Hercos yet!
24 years of my Dunlop 0.73s getting furry edges and I fancied a change, then kicked myself for not going to Hercos earlier.
I won't use anything else now, looks like Chris Squire was right all along.

[/quote]

i tried using picks for years but could never get to grips with them, literally. Being a huge Yes fan, i decided to try Chris' preferred pick.

I'm still predomenantly a fingers player but my pick playing has come on leaps and bounds since I began using them. So much so that I keep a big bag of them in my gig bag so I don't run out but they seem to last forever so they'll probably do if I ever lose one

Predominantly a finger style player these days but use picks occasionally for punkier numbers (downstrokes only, real punk!!).
got a tin of 'em in gig bag, mostly dunlops gauges from 0.73 up to 2mm. Heavier song = heavier pick in my book.
Churrs,
Norm

[quote name='mep' post='1072912' date='Dec 30 2010, 05:21 PM']And me. I've tried others, but always come back to JD nylon 1mm's[/quote]
That's what I use - I don't use them much on bass but I do about 50/50 fingerpick and plectrum on guitar, using the JDs, and I just use the same plectrums on bass.

Dunlop Nylon 88's are my standard pick, but i do go up to a 1mm from time to time. I've tried to like the Tortex types, but the lack of flex makes me feel like i have less control when playing.
In times of emergency though, when i can't lay my hands on a pick, i have been known to use the sim card from my mobile.