Why become a member? ×

Watching other bass players

Roland Rock

When going to see other bands play, or if there are other bands on the same bill as you, what are you thinking when you watch them?
One guy in my band has a really annoying habit of slagging the other bands off while they're playing, sometimes really obviously with his body language. I find it rude and embarassing.

So what do you think/do when you watch a band? I'm going to be totally honest and let you know what creeps into my thoughts:

1: I'm very polite, and will constructively analyse the bass playing/band performance, and give positive feedback when chatting to the band afterwards, even if I thought they were a bit rubbish. Does that make me two faced?

2: I'll focus on the bass player and compare their standard to my own. If I feel they're better than me, I'll sit back and enjoy the show. If I feel they're not as good as me, a bit of smugness creeps in. I'm not proud of this, and generally regard myself as a nice person, but that's how it is.

What goes through your heads?

It really does depend what the sound is like, what the venue is like, whether I know the guys that are playing etc.

I try so hard not to judge a band too hard but it's difficult when you're constantly thinking "I wouldn't have played it like that" or "he's hit a wrong note, it hurts" and so on, but I just try and enjoy the show. I went to see my mate's band play the other day, the group before had a bass player seemed to think that he could make up for terrible timing issues and bad playing with a six string bass and more volume. By that stage I found myself wandering to the the bar to order another red bull.

I used to be a critic.

Now I just watch and enjoy.

Occasionally I'll discuss their performance if I'm with another musician. Mostly I'll try to be positive about everyone I see. It's not easy to play live and anyone who gets out of their bedroom and puts the effort into rehearsing and playing a gig deserves some respect.

I'm VERY critical of bands (as a whole, not just bassists), I have a knack for spotting mistakes and I honestly believe that if I tell a crap band that they were amazing, they'll continue to be crap because they don't know that they are.

We played with a band on Saturday who played well but tuned to each other instead of a tuner and their singer couldn't stay in key. After the gig they asked what I thought of it and I told them. Now they're going to start using tuners and working through scales and other excersises with their singer so they benefitted from my honesty.

The thing about bassists specifically is that because I'm in the rock scene, the vast majority of bassists just play root notes. I would never tell someone that what they're writing is wrong as that comes down to opinion. I rarely listen to specific instruments anyway, I enjoy music much more if there's a good groove to it.

[quote name='TimR' post='1066321' date='Dec 22 2010, 12:00 AM']I used to be a critic.

Now I just watch and enjoy.

Occasionally I'll discuss their performance if I'm with another musician. Mostly I'll try to be positive about everyone I see. It's not easy to play live and anyone who gets out of their bedroom and puts the effort into rehearsing and playing a gig deserves some respect.[/quote]
Couldn't have put it better myself :)

I think, if faced with a chapter and verse analysis of my recent on-stage performances, if handled without the appropriate care then I think I'd be inclined to possibly apply my forehead to the bridge of the offender. This would especially apply should the scent of smugness hang in the air.

To be honest, I mainly follow Tim's approach - enjoy! I like seeing people trying new tricks, seeing what I can pick up along the way or wondering about how I might have done it. I like seeing what gear people are playing.

I'm not sure I'd immediately feed any of it back to someone with the adrenaline still in their veins, however constructively intended:

"Hi, yeah, I saw your show. I'm the bassist for the last band. I thought you were well off the beat today. Your tone was flat and your gear looks sha... what, something I said?"

When I go and watch other bands play, I always try and treat it as a night out, and enjoy it, rather than stand there, trying to be critical. Sometimes it might not be my type of music, but I always try and enjoy bands that play well.

When playing a gig, with other bands on the bill, the main thing that gets my back up to be honest is the lack of support other bands show each other.......We make an effort to listen to the other bands sets, clap and chear, and always stay to the end. Don't know why we bother though. We have had bands carry their gear out in front of us, vanish before we even play our set, and even had one band use the stage as a short cut to the back stage area to collect their gear while we were playing.......... :)

Bands that treat us right, we always make a real effort to network with, as we would much rather work with bands who help each other out, and support each other on the night, and the bands that do have a good attitude towards other bands, and us, tend to have a much higher chance of success if they need to borrow gear :lol:

When we're on a bill with other bands, I always just try and enjoy them. I've got enough to think about!! :)

If watching the bassist, its for either onf two reasons:

1. The band is playing a song I like that I previosuly didn`t know how to play, so watch in order to learn it.
2. If I can hear that the bassist is good, I like to watch, so I can either pick up a few tips, or just be impressed by someone who is good at their craft.

Gotta admit tho, I do prefer to just watch/listen to the whole band, rather than analyse the playing of each band member - which is something I previously used to do.

I get to see lots of bands as a semi-pro photographer in the Colchester area. It means I get into the venue during the sound check before the doors are opened to the public too. I always find myself watching the bass player and listening intently to what they are playing. As a fairly new bass player - they are all better than me. However, I get to hear so many different styles in one night I count myself lucky.

Whoever you are, keep playing - maybe I'll take your photo one day lol.

[quote name='retroman' post='1066401' date='Dec 22 2010, 07:31 AM']When playing a gig, with other bands on the bill, the main thing that gets my back up to be honest is the lack of support other bands show each other.......We make an effort to listen to the other bands sets, clap and chear, and always stay to the end.[/quote]

I seem to be the only person in our band who thinks that that's proper etiquette. The others will go off for food/sit elsewhere. Part of it is that now that I have kids, I rarely get to go and see other bands, so am glad to watch anything, even mediocrity!

Oh my god yeah! I hate it when other bands just can't be bothered to make an effort to see the other bands and then whine and moan like bitches when no-one bothered to see their (usually) sub-standard performance. Not naming names, but there's a certain young metal band on the circuit whose singers dad is possibly the most famous man in metal ever who act like complete twats.

Truckstop

Great topic here.

If I go to watch a band I've paid money for and travelled to see I will completely loose myself in the show and enjoy it.

However the majority of bands I see are support bands or bands above us. If they are nice, upfront and genuine I will have all the time in the world for them. I've met so many nice bassists who'll happily chat away with me about gear and I think it makes a nice change for them to get that. Other times (as said before in this topic) we've had the "disappearing act" bands. One band is particularly bad and notorious for it around my neck of the woods. It even got very heated on-line / in real life once over it. Basically our guitarist is a promoter and has got this band loads of gigs and gigs supporting us (to good crowds) and the minute they finish they go. ALL of them. I understand the ones who have work but most of them don't. They've done it at every gig, every time. It really is unbelievable. Then they have the cheek to moan about crowds leaving or not supporting them at gigs. *sigh*

Back on topic - if they band is good, I will tell them and give them some appreciation. If they are bad, I just don't say anything or maybe say the odd "Vocals were slightly bad" but I never stand there giving them Music 101.

If the other band is good I might listen but if they're not I won't. If I like something then I might say so but if I don't like then I'll keep quiet. I do chat to other bands and musicians but wouldn't dream of criticising them, their sound or their playing.

If another bass player is better than me I'll make a mental note to try harder and to nick as much as I can, but basically I am my own strongest critic and you get what you get. On a gig I'm not really interested in anyone else's views about my playing and I'd assume other musicians are the same.

[quote name='yorick' post='1066406' date='Dec 22 2010, 07:38 AM']I usually just wince at the bum notes :)[/quote]
Me too. I usually don't realise I'm doing it though.

On another note, I find if I enjoyed the set, I'll always try to have a quick chat with the band/bassist. Even if it's just a quick "Good set dude etc..." If I didn't enjoy it, I don't chat to them afterwards. They still had the balls to get up and play in front of people, something that I'm not really good/confident/cocky enough (delete as appropriate) to do more often. :)

I like both watching and being watched by other Bassists - I am competant enough in my own abilities to not feel fazed and as a teacher interested enough in other Bassists style of playing. I am wise enough to know you never stop learning however good you are and no matter what someone's level they may have something to offer to reflect on. We were after all all beginners ourselves once.
I am also very much aware that I am (as are most Bassists) a much more capable Bassist than may be observed when gigging as i realise I am part of a band and tend to play what the song needs.

I recently played a gig and spoke to another Bassist who I then found out is also on this site, I even let him have a look over and play on my Bass then he returned the favour when I went to watch his band a week or so later.

For some reason I also think I am more vocal in regard to the Bands Drummers skills than Bassists.

Edited by J3ster

I tend to listen to the whole band, not just the bass. I,m a reasonable enough guitar player too, so I can listen the way the guitar is linking to the drums via the bass.
Having said that, I was watching a band do a number that we also do, in the same key as well. I saw he was doing a nice lttle run to connect the G and D chords which I wish I had thought of! :) I have now pinched it and now do the same thing as him :)

Edited by Hobbayne

It's all about the gear spotting for me. I love seeing unusual basses in action. If I'm watching a band then my eyes and ears do inevitably drift towards the bass. I have a rubbish poker face so I probably do screw up my face when I hear a bum note, and look slightly pale and shocked when I see someone playing something I have no hope in hell of playing (yet).

As a band we are quite expensive so there is only usually us playing a gig so no other bass player to watch. I see lots of "chin strokers" at the back who may or may not be bass players. I think most of the time you can tell though. Especially when they start whooping at a particular run or whatever.

I love to see other bands and am quite a critic- though when I see a good bass player I do l,et it be known and go over to talk. I have seen some fabulous players. Some have great tone, great groove and some can really PLAY!!

I try to enjoy the band and can always find something I like in every group. There are not many good players around here though ( Hull ) All the good ones are on this site!!

Bob

I love watching other bands. I love checking out their gear, hearing a different take on certain songs and generally enjoy myself. The music scene in our area is pretty poor so I'll offer any encouragement I can. I'll even collar the landlord if he looks unimpressed and say something like "wow these guys are great". As long as it helps encourage the bands or the venues I'm all for it.

We are all at different stages of learning and unless I can offer subtle advice that will actually benefit the musicians or band then I don't do anything other than complement them. When I'm playing I take nicely put constructive advice well but I can't tolerate people who are smug / unpleasantly critical. It takes a lot of effort and guts to put a band together and get out in front of people to try and make them happy. The least we can do is enjoy it or at least pretend.

If the support band walks out mid set or makes a big display of packing down whilst we're playing we'll not work with them again. We're well booked these days and never short of offers for support bands so it's their loss. If they're a good bunch and stick around I'll buy them a beer afterwards. When we were starting out we used to "pay our dues" and stick around to watch the main act and it helped us a lot with re-bookings etc. We still give heaps of support to bands that support us by cheering / shouting / clapping / dancing and it helps lift the other punters which in turn is good for us when we go on.

There's more respect than attitude out there but there are still a few people who think they're above the rest in my view and it's ridiculous as there's no need. If you're so insecure with your own playing that you need to slate other bands then it's all a bit pathetic.