Why become a member? ×

Octave pedal

TommyK

I need an octave pedal for my new band.

I have a budget of £100 ish. Like the look of the MXR 288 and the EBS one from the reviews i have seen. Anything much to chose between them? Anything else i should consider for that sort of budget?

Cheers
Tom

Edited by TommyK

I've got the BOD and its got a good range of tones with the Girth and Growl knob plus the mid switch is useful. Its more synthy sort of OC-2 ish but still its own sound if that makes any sense!!!!

Do you want a clean octave? Before the BOD i had a Digitech BSW and that was great for a clean octave and cheap too used off hear

OC-2 is the best one ive played, and you can get them second hand for around £45.

From the pedals ive owned im not a big fan of any digital octave pedals, the EBS one tracked well but as mentioned before is quite clean and polite, and the Aguilar Octamizer I have now has really poor tracking. I definitely want my OC-2 back.

I love my old EBS for good a clean effect,and my older OC-2 for more 'synth-y' sounds. I love them
both.
I tried the MXR and thought it was good,but I didn't like it as much as either the EBS or the OC-2. The OC-3 is decent,but I prefer analogue octavers over digital ones.

I've got an OC3, sounds pretty mint. Not a great fan of the glitching on the oc2 mode, but then I guess thats why you buy the oc2.
I do like the different modes though, the distortion one sounds really good, nice and soft/growly rather than harsh and cutting. The poly mode is good for just straight octave that doesn't glitch too.

[quote name='TommyK' post='1060711' date='Dec 16 2010, 04:32 PM']I need an octave pedal for my new band.

I have a budget of £100 ish. Like the look of the MXR 288 and the EBS one from the reviews i have seen. Anything much to chose between them? Anything else i should consider for that sort of budget?

Cheers
Tom[/quote]

I've tried them both and brought the MXR home. Better tracking and better sound. Will cut in the mix nicely and the mid switch is great. I am not a big fan of boss pedals because of the lack of true bypass but the OC-2 seems to take the best reviews.
Try the three and follow your ears.

[quote name='Protium' post='1061962' date='Dec 17 2010, 07:55 PM']Take a look at the EHX Octave Multiplexer. The only issue might be the blend control of original signal/octave down rather than two separate controls, you do get high and low filters though :)[/quote]
great pedal,tracks ok....but found you get an annoying drop in volume(if it wasnt for that id of keept mine 100%)

Have to say, IMHO the Digitech BSW is best for just s straight ahead simple octave doen sound. I found it tracks way better than the BOSS, EBS, Ashdown, Line6 ocateves I tried. I tend to have a quite high output from my basses, so perhaps that's part of the difference in tracking opinions - for me the OC-2 and OC-3 creack up about E on the A string.

Currently using an Aguilar, though not employed enough yet to form a full opinion, however love it so far and again, tracks really well in my experience.

To the OP, best answer is either get out and try some or buy second hand and that way if you don't like, you'll not lose out too much.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='1064595' date='Dec 20 2010, 01:32 PM']Have to say, IMHO the Digitech BSW is best for just s straight ahead simple octave doen sound. I found it tracks way better than the BOSS, EBS, Ashdown, Line6 ocateves I tried. I tend to have a quite high output from my basses, so perhaps that's part of the difference in tracking opinions - for me the OC-2 and OC-3 creack up about E on the A string.

Currently using an Aguilar, though not employed enough yet to form a full opinion, however love it so far and again, tracks really well in my experience.

To the OP, best answer is either get out and try some or buy second hand and that way if you don't like, you'll not lose out too much.[/quote]

I had a BSW. Sold it after buying the MXR BOD for octave and 3Leaf for wah and never looked back. Had some crazy synthy sounds but it wasn't what i was looking for.