Why become a member? ×

Suggest Some Covers

phil.mcglassup

Heaven is a place on earth by Belinda Carlisle (great X factor key change at the end)

Every day is a winding road

Mercy

Magic man (Heart)

Jane by Jefferson Starship (or airplane)

If you want the ultimate power ballad, check out the Terry Reid version of "Stay with me baby"

A bit obscure, this one - I was fiddling about with a band who had a brace of lady singers at one point and they were doing this track (badly, I should add) - 'Cadillac Blues' by Blues By Nature. the singer, Karen Lawrence, has a pretty impressive voice and I guess a lot of the appeal of the track lies around her but it is a great country rock track that could be 'heavied up' a bit if the occasion demanded. Anyway, one I have book-marked to try if ever I am lucky enough to play in a band with a decent female frontman.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1055466' date='Dec 11 2010, 10:15 PM']Divinyls - I touch myself (Ooo-er)[/quote]

Possibly the sexiest song since "S-s-s-single bed" (Fox), and Donna Summers "I feel love / Love to love you baby" :) Great album too (Diviyls)

Of that era one of my favourites is "Tell me your plans" - The Shirts, although a bit obscure nw.

Back on topic -
"Torn" - Natalie Imbruliga can be rocked up well
"They don't know about us" - Kirsty McCall

"Christmas wrapping" - Waitresses; very seasonal, and killer bass-line :)

Fer Christsakes...!!

Chrissie Hynde...!! fanstastic writer..
also Maria Makee...and deffo Cyndi Lauper.

Sheryl Crow...!!!

You'll probably have to do an Alannis song and maybe Tina..but you'll get stuck with a barrel of cliches, but that might work for you.

Personally, I'd be looking for stuff from Mary Chapin Carpenter, maybe Bonnie Rait and the modern country girls if I could find the right female singer. Leann R, Martina Mcbride, etc, and the new generation that gets totally ignored over here but sells zillions..

Im in a band with many ladies tho not a girl band!!

We recently did a mash up with the riff to My Sharona but to the chord changes/verse from Toxic by Brittany Spears. The chorus was the Topxic chords and vocal then back into the sharona riff. Then we dropped in the Love Shack break down with the nice littel bass bit.You know the"Bang bang bang on the door" bit. Then it was back into the toxic for the outro. Sounded killer and people liked it. It works better than it sounds but we did have 4 vocals/harmoony going on too which helped
I might have some live footage of it from an up coming gig so I'll direct you there if you're interested in putting it to you're bands vote :)

Hi,

our band has a female front and we find that even very male dominated songs sound great 'rocked chicked 'up...

anyway, the best ones we have which a female sounds suprisingly hot with is ....

come together - beatles (prob best bass lead song ever!)

20th century boy t-rex

and billie jean -

oh, and the arctic monkeys version of love machine....

not sure if thats what your after - but from experience females can really rock these up!

ps. It took some getting used for us (as we were used to all males) but a rock band with a female front is fantastic - listen to the dead weather album - amazing.

Wow everyone!! That's brilliant - thanks everyone, they're just what I'm looking for.
I'll check them all out on Youtube as many of them I've never heard before.

On a sad note, our female vocalist has just quit. Typical, she's only been with us a fortnight!! Anyway, here's hoping we find another soon.(although there is one in the pipeline)

Thanks again everyone.
If anyone still has any other suggestions, please let me know.

These are the songs that we do with Mrs Zero on lead vocals:

Stuck in the middle
Born to be wild
Hoochie coochie man
White room
Wishing Well
Jumping Jack Flash
Dancing in the moonlight
Sweet Home Alabama
All right now
The Hunter
You really got me
Hey Joe
Can't get enough of your love
The Seeker
Black Magic Woman
You shook me all night long
It's a Long Way to the top if you wanna rock and roll
Hard To Handle
Mustang Sally
Johnny B Goode
Paranoid
Badge

She did inherit a male vocalist's set list a few weeks ago, but I don't think there's anything in the set that sounds any the worse for having a female lead vocal.

Sorry if any of these have been mentioned. ( couldnt be bothered reading and taking in every song mentioned :) )

Some suggestions hopefully within the right sorta category for what ur looking for.

All out of love - Air Supply

Is nothing sacred - Meatloaf

The look - Roxette

Stand by you - The Pretenders

Your the voice - John Farnham

Are you ready for love - Elton John

Honestly ill be sit here all day mentioning probably unrelated ( yet awesome ) songs

Theres a wee starter

Hope it helps mate :)

[quote name='Thepurepower' post='1057768' date='Dec 13 2010, 08:22 PM']If its your sort of thing (Perhaps not!)
Why not try some flyleaf, dead simple riffs all around.. and it's always good to bring the dirt with "im so sick".

Cassie may appeal more to you though?

:L Tell you what, thats the first time EVER ive recommended a christian band haha! Awesome live.[/quote]
Christian bands rule! I know coz i play in one kinda :)