Why become a member? ×

Deconstructing ‘Gimme Shelter’

EssentialTension

Great link.

Y'know, I love this song, and I think that the groove after the first chorus is one of the greatest moments in modern music..

BUT!

Wyman's line is... weak. IMO.

I often wonder how much [i]better[/i] it would be if someone like Willie Weeks had played bass on it. Can you imagine??

Flame away... :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1044819' date='Dec 2 2010, 11:05 AM']Great link.

Y'know, I love this song, and I think that the groove after the first chorus is one of the greatest moments in modern music..

BUT!

I often wonder how much [i]better[/i] it would be if someone like Willie Weeks had played bass on it. Can you imagine??

Flame away... :)[/quote]

Flame on!

Only bass players would really care.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1044846' date='Dec 2 2010, 11:28 AM']Flame on!

Only bass players would really care.[/quote]
Yeah there's the truth right there. We all worry about our tone, technique, note choice and ability, but when playing live who really listens to it or cares other than us and other bassists? This isn't going to stop me worrying about it though because I care.

Whilst typing this Alright Now is playing on Planet Rock. I hate playing this song or hearing it by others, but hearing Andy Fraser do his thing is always a pleasure. However, other than us low enders does anyone else notice? I guess the answer is that they'd notice if we weren't there.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1044819' date='Dec 2 2010, 11:05 AM']Great link.

BUT!

Flame away... :)[/quote]
I wouldn't call Wyman's line weak but as I said in the OP it was better (and more interesting) than I expected.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1044889' date='Dec 2 2010, 12:04 PM']I wouldn't call Wyman's line weak but as I said in the OP it was better (and more interesting) than I expected.[/quote]
Meh.. it was exactly as I knew it.

It's greatest crime is that it's tentative... thankfully Charlie's on board to save the day.

[i][b]Bill Wyman, was, of course one of the greatest bassists in rock music history, up there with John Entwistle and John Paul Jones, but less showy than either. Listen as he holds down the maelstrom that is this song with this bass-line. Outstanding![/b][/i]

So, no hype there then. :)

What a load of tosh.

Like Dave, I thought his bassline was better than I had expected it to be, but frankly that's not saying much. The line I usually play (without having heard Wyman's previously) is of course pretty similar; it would have to be, really.

What I hear on this track is a decent bassline, better than what I play but not by much. Not a criticism, but an observation.

The difference is that I haven't been the Rolling Stones' full-time professional bass player for the last five years. If I had been, I would expect to come up with something significantly better than this.

Ultimately, this track more-or-less confirms (to me, anyway) that it's true that Bill wasn't a particularly great player. Certainly nowhere near people like McCartney, Entwistle and Bruce.

[i][b]Bill Wyman, was, of course one of the greatest bassists in rock music history, up there with John Entwistle and John Paul Jones, but less showy than either. Listen as he holds down the maelstrom that is this song with this bass-line. Outstanding![/b][/i]

I must admit I chuckled a bit when I read that too. The whole line sounds like it written and recorded as an afterthought in the couple of minutes between 'liasons' with ladies.

The sly ol' dog.

Bill W may well not have been a 'great' bass player. But he may well have been the best bass player for the Rolling Stones.
A better bass player may have cocked up the band 'chemistry' for all we know?

This is my hope in my band. I know I'm far from the best player. But I think I'm the best player for the band.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1044964' date='Dec 2 2010, 12:56 PM']Bill W may well not have been a 'great' bass player. But he may well have been the best bass player for the Rolling Stones.
A better bass player may have cocked up the band 'chemistry' for all we know?

This is my hope in my band. I know I'm far from the best player. But I think I'm the best player for the band.[/quote]

+Millions.

This, and only this, is what ultimately matters. Anything else is purely for our own amusement.

They are a strange band, even the most simple of songs say "its only rock n roll" just has something about it feel wise that is hard to emulate as a band, even though each member may play their own part correctly, very loose yet exactly right

Its interesting how Wyman gets slated, but his lines always seem to be just enough to compliment and carry the song, what do the critics think he should have added? any more may have been to much

This isolated clips are great, I hope more people start sticking more of this on the net

Edited by lojo