Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Where? Sounds like a nice mellow jazzy thang to me!

Here's an example of building jazz carnage...

I think (trying to listen on my phone at Heathrow arrivals hall) around 1.30 when drums double time.

You see, this 👆 (in my opinion, naturally...) is exactly why Jazz has such a poor press (and that Berlin stuff doesn't help its case...). All this frenetic speeding towards no destination at all gives me the impression that far too much coffee has been consumed, with maybe other additives that accelerate the heart-rate and inspire panic in the performer. They all, indubitably, have talent in spades (yes, even Jeff...), but it is, it seems systematically, smothered and killed off by all this 'exhuberance'. OK, there are some that enjoy this, I grant, and there are even those, I'm told, who 'understand' what's going on (or purport to do so...). No, not for me, I'm afraid. I'm looking for far different qualities that that. Sorry. :|

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

It's all perfectly logical, Dad. You just need to pay attention. As my Dad always said 'I like it when they all stop at the same time'.

'Emeril Kicks It Up' is a shuffle with some great melodies. What's not to like?

... and I like it when they all stop. Period. It's quite difficult 'to pay attention' with my fingers in both ears to shut out the racket (and I'm deaf, so..!). 'Great melodies'..? Hmm... I'll get back to my Schubert and Joni Mitchell, I think. B|

Edited by Dad3353

I personally find the JBerlin and the Michael Camillo stuff all that bit wet, beautifully played as it all is. I'm actually the anti-Doug, while he wants all music to tend gently and tunefully toward Jefferson Airplane, I want it to veer wildly off-course, bumping into Suicidal Tendencies, Bootsy and Primus before crashing into Ronald Shannon Jackson and John Zorn...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

You see, this 👆 (in my opinion, naturally...) is exactly why Jazz has such a poor press (and that Berlin stuff doesn't help its case...). All this frenetic speeding towards no destination at all gives me the impression that far too much coffee has been consumed, with maybe other additives that accelerate the heart-rate and inspire panic in the performer. They all, indubitably, have talent in spades (yes, even Jeff...), but it is, it seems systematically, smothered and killed off by all this 'exhuberance'. OK, there are some that enjoy this, I grant, and there are even those, I'm told, who 'understand' what's going on (or purport to do so...). No, not for me, I'm afraid. I'm looking for far different qualities that that. Sorry. :|

Totally agree. Just watch the two trumpet players at the beginning. Not every one will agree, but for me it's just a self-indulgent pissing contest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I did google him. I have never see the Blues Brothers movie but the net says this guy is a bog deal on the NY studio scene (as are many of the Camilo band). No surprises really.

He is not just about the Blues Brothers. Lou Marini is, or was, one of the top arrangers in New York. He's a very versatile musician and arranger.

LM's session resume and general CV is really quite a mixed bag.

Lou Marini - Wikipedia

His 'Magic City Jazz Orchestra' is also pretty decent, it's not of the Michel Camilo Big Band standard, but still, some decent players in there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevie said:

it's just a self-indulgent pissing contest.

Of course it is!

Not like prog... And all those 70s fretw@nk rock guitarists were just keepin' it simple.

And that bloody Liszt and his would-be mate, Paganini!

Though personally, I love a bit of self-indulgence and subscribe via Eurosport to both types of pissing contest - high wee and long piddle.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Of course it is!

Not like prog... And all those 70s fretw@nk rock guitarists were just keepin' it simple.

And that bloody Liszt and his would-be mate, Paganini!

Though personally, I love a bit of self-indulgence and subscribe via Eurosport to both types of pissing contest - high wee and long piddle.

:lol::lol:

👍

• 1 month later...