Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

Back in the 60's, my mum and dad were always playing the 'Groove Yard' album. My first introductions to Jazz, I suppose.

The whole album is worth a listen with some very smooth playing all round.

One of my early purchases was Wes Montgomery Fingerpicking - went to the listening booth in Dobell's and was blown away by it. Proper grown up experience for a 12 or 13 year old!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

That’s hilarious, I think I’ve had that “feedback” (usually unsolicited) in almost those exact words, from someone half cut, or at least they sounded half cut :)

I’m sure our regulars that hate jazz will be along shortly… 🤪 

1 minute ago, FDC484950 said:

That’s hilarious, I think I’ve had that “feedback” (usually unsolicited) in almost those exact words, from someone half cut, or at least they sounded half cut :)

I’m sure our regulars that hate jazz will be along shortly… 🤪 

Bear in mind that comes from the composer's and performers of the free form jazz exploration 'Jazz Odyssey '.

31 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

I’ve had that “feedback”

I take great delight in making a great show of putting on a record for guests, saying this is some kickin' jazz. Their faces usually fall a bit as they're expecting something smooth'n'after-dinnery, but at least they'll be able to ignore it and have a chat. Then Brotzmann's "Machine Gun starts up and they're usually shrieking and running for the door in seconds, unless they've had many hours hardening themselves with some Gateway Jazz, like Ornette or Steve Lacy.

:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dug this album out as I'm rediscovering my love for Jazz. Great choice! Interesting use of cello, some sublime cornet playing, and some fabulous guitar. A great 'gateway' album for anyone wanting a second step into the world of Jazz - accessible, yet still very credible (i.e. not Dinner Jazz)!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...