Why become a member? ×

foot tappin'

iconic

I keep getting told to tap my foot to the beat...something I have never done...until an hour ago...

...tried it today to my favorite Duran choons....Rio, Last Chance on the Stairway and Night Version of Girls on Film, then Just Jack Writers Block and even Le Freak and tappin my plates puts me off and makes my leg ache too!

...if this regarded an essential part of bass playing?

[quote name='iconic' post='1029644' date='Nov 19 2010, 05:21 PM']I keep getting told to tap my foot to the beat...something I have never done...until an hour ago...

...tried it today to my favorite Duran choons....Rio, Last Chance on the Stairway and Night Version of Girls on Film, then Just Jack Writers Block and even Le Freak and tappin my plates puts me off and makes my leg ache too!

...if this regarded an essential part of bass playing?[/quote]

I find it useful - particularly if you are playing without a drummer - but if you don't like it, don't do it!
There are no hard and fast rules :)

[quote name='SteveK' post='1030046' date='Nov 20 2010, 12:55 AM']I really can't imagine not tapping my feet, or at least moving part of my body in time whilst playing.
I've always assumed it was a kind of subconscious metronome thing going on.[/quote]
Me too. Seriously wear out a lot of shoe leather stamping the floor. But I play abit of kit too so it feels perfectly natural to me. Good for practicing groove and timing l find.

Talking of foottapping (I do - big time) I remember some kind of box with a mic in upon which you'd tap your foot for accompanyment.

Anyone tell me what to look for on Ebay (or if you have one unused..... :) )

Hold on - just found something on Ebay - Logarythm.

WHOA!!!!! £59.99!!!!

Don't.think.so.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

I went to see The John Schofield Trio last week. The great Steve Swallow was on bass and I watched him like a hawk. There were some monster drum solos where the 'one' completely disappeared from the feel of the solo but Swallow was right on every accent and every stab......

He didnt tap his foot either....!!

[quote name='SaxxyBass' post='1030044' date='Nov 20 2010, 12:39 AM']Oh and I meant to say - I think you should do what feels right for you![/quote]

Obviously keeping some semblance of self control though... I saw it get totally out of hand back in the mid 90's and the world has to endure Riverdance ever since... :)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='icastle' post='1030680' date='Nov 20 2010, 06:15 PM']Obviously keeping some semblance of self control though... I saw it get totally out of hand back in the mid 90's and the world has to endure Riverdance ever since... :)[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1030818' date='Nov 20 2010, 08:10 PM']Keep time by thrusting your crotch. It's not Doom, but it is awesome and manly. I sometimes find I'm standing on one leg and swinging the other one like a pendulum, playing pretty slow stuff though, heavy boots make it slower.[/quote]

Ooeer! think I'll just tap my foot in a womanly fashion :)