Why become a member? ×

Paul McCartney

jakenewmanbass

[quote name='bumnote' post='1016637' date='Nov 8 2010, 05:56 PM']To me they have always been that thing where the band as a whole seem to be more than the four individuals.[/quote]
I'd agree with that, but can anyone think of any famous band where any of the individual members have gone on to bigger things?

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1016673' date='Nov 8 2010, 06:27 PM']I'd agree with that, but can anyone think of any famous band where any of the individual members have gone on to bigger things?[/quote]
Sting and Phil Collins, to name two... :)

I guess "bigger things" is a rather subjective.

I can see that Phil Collins became bigger in a 'popular' sense than Genesis (though I preferred it when he was just a drummer and intensely disliked his solo stuff - not to mention his dire productions of EC albums), but I'm not sure about Sting being bigger than the Police.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1016673' date='Nov 8 2010, 06:27 PM']I'd agree with that, but can anyone think of any famous band where any of the individual members have gone on to bigger things?[/quote]
Big Brother and the Holding Company and Janis Joplin - even if she was dead within a couple of years of leaving them.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1014656' date='Nov 6 2010, 07:15 PM']taxman is one of my favourite lines, even though I still can't get it spot-on - unlike this guy:

[/quote]
I don't have the original version to hand, but is Macca's timing on the fast runs around the 1m mark as flaky as they are in this clip? :)

Anyone who doesn't rate Sir Paul, should understand that he was producing and playing incredible lines back then, not against the backdrop of today, where there is 60 years of top players across many styles can be viewed and rewound at the click of a mouse, mp3s, DVDs, concerts on TV, lessons online

Back then most bands had to physically pass a single record from one person to the next just to learn a cover song

He may be easily over shadowed now and for sometime, but he was a major stepping stone in what we know today

Edited by lojo

Keith Emerson, Glen Campbell, Eric Clapton but you are right, I just think there was a unique chemistry between all of them, more so than in some bands where you had a 'star' within the band who then went solo. I think in the early days it was more Lennons band and then PM and to a lesser extent GH started to have more of an impact.

Any way who cares, great music, great songs.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1016814' date='Nov 8 2010, 07:48 PM']I don't have the original version to hand, but is Macca's timing on the fast runs around the 1m mark as flaky as they are in this clip? :)[/quote]

+1, this guy's timing is pretty poor actually.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1016814' date='Nov 8 2010, 07:48 PM']I don't have the original version to hand, but is Macca's timing on the fast runs around the 1m mark as flaky as they are in this clip? :)[/quote]

I am SO relieved to find that I wasn't the only person thinking that.

I do have the original to hand. This guy plays all the right notes, in the right order, and usually with the right tempo. What he has NOT got (in spades) is 'feel'. The fast runs are slightly gabbled, where Macca makes them sound almost melodic.

The guy in the video is also technically much better than I am, or probably ever will be; this isn't intended to be sour grapes.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1016903' date='Nov 8 2010, 08:45 PM']The Beatles were a massive part of my musical upbringing.[/quote]

From 1963-70 (aged 6 to 13) they were almost ALL of mine.

My parents' Dansette had alongside it every Beatles LP (for my older brother, not them), both Monkees LPs, the Best of Allan Sherman, and the original recording of High Society.

Oh yes, and the 1812 Overture.

At 14, I could sing all the words of every Beatles song ever released. Not one of the most useful talents I've ever developed, but quite satisfying, all the same.

And I really couldn't understand the attraction of those ruffians, The Rolling Stones ...

[quote name='gjones' post='1013870' date='Nov 5 2010, 11:33 PM']He says that the last thing to be recorded, with the Beatles in the later days, would be the bass. Which meant he could take his time and get it right.[/quote]

I like to re-track bass when a recording is nearing completion too. Mostly to move around emphasis phrases depending on what other people have played or what extra guitar/voice/brass tracks have gone down. Or to create a bit more interest if there's a part that is sounding a bit flat.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1013844' date='Nov 5 2010, 11:04 PM']Many pundits consider [i]Something [/i](Abbey Road) to be arguably the finest single bassline in a ballad.[/quote]
I read somewhere that Harrison didn't like the bassline at all, too fussy, too many notes. I've always thought it a classic myself though.

[quote name='KevB' post='1016994' date='Nov 8 2010, 10:39 PM']I read somewhere that Harrison didn't like the bassline at all, too fussy, too many notes. I've always thought it a classic myself though.[/quote]

They were never/rarely happy with each other's contributions, but hey... Harrison is definitely wrong, it's a great bass line.

[quote name='KevB' post='1016994' date='Nov 8 2010, 10:39 PM']I read somewhere that Harrison didn't like the bassline at all, too fussy, too many notes. I've always thought it a classic myself though.[/quote]

Absolutely correct. McCartney, in his own words, was trying do justice to a great song but Harrison wasn't impressed.

IMO it is one of his best basslines and fits the song like a glove.

[quote name='KevB' post='1016994' date='Nov 8 2010, 10:39 PM']....I read somewhere that Harrison didn't like the bassline at all, too fussy, too many notes....[/quote]
I can see George Harrison's point. It's not a subtle bass line.

I'm surprised Harrison didn't have enough clout to at least get the bass mixed further back in the track.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1019599' date='Nov 11 2010, 01:58 AM']I'm surprised Harrison didn't have enough clout to at least get the bass mixed further back in the track.[/quote]

Lennon was all about drugs & Yoko, Starr wasn't really interested, Harrison wanted to be somewhere else.

It was Macca who wanted [i][b]Abbey Road[/b][/i] to be the real 'farewell' album, and who drove the project forward. As with [i][b]Sgt Pepper[/b][/i], this was very much Macca's studio. He stayed late (with George Martin) after each session, long after the others had left.

It's hardly surprising thet the final cut was (relatively) bass-heavy.

I, for one, am not complaining.

:)

Edited by Happy Jack

I've created the habit of whenever I have to clean my house to put some Beatles or Wings stuff on .. it just makes it a lot more pleasant and sometimes I even regret that I have already finished everything since my favourite tracks haven't already passed by.
Recently enjoyed while cleaning : Café on the left bank, Morse Moose and the Grey Goose, Girls school, Power Cut, Every Night, She came in through the bathroom window, Old brown Shoe (what a great bassline and not easy to play), Hi hi hi, Sally G (rather unknown but one of my favourites), C'mon people..the list goes on.
Everytime you get this great bassline with that one fill which makes me go "wow !"
It doesn't have anything to do with technical aspects (I don't play like McCartney and am more into Mick Karn, Clarke, King) but just with very tasteful playing which everyone can learn from..

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1019690' date='Nov 11 2010, 08:40 AM']Lennon was all about drugs & Yoko, Starr wasn't really interested, Harrison wanted to be somewhere else.

It was Macca who wanted [i][b]Abbey Road[/b][/i] to be the real 'farewell' album, and who drove the project forward. As with [i][b]Sgt Pepper[/b][/i], this was very much Macca's studio. He stayed late (with George Martin) after each session, long after the others had left.

It's hardly surprising thet the final cut was (relatively) bass-heavy.

I, for one, am not complaining.

:)[/quote]