Why become a member? ×

Paul McCartney

jakenewmanbass

[quote name='squire5' post='1022608' date='Nov 13 2010, 04:57 PM']A veritable bible of Beatles music![/quote]

But so much more than just The Beatles - he does a superb job of putting them in context, and in the process explains the 60's for the benefit of those of us born too late to genuinely "be there". I hit London as a teenager in 1974 ... it was only a few years after the Summer Of Love but it was a very different place.

One of the first albums I ever heard was With the Beatles. As a small boy I picked up on the harmonies. It was only later on getting older that I picked up on those great basslines like on All My Loving for example. I own all the Beatles albums but don't play them very much. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan but I always admired them. The McCartney detractors don't seem to have sabotaged this thread in the way that most of you were worried about. When I first playing I got a book on McCartney and learnt Hey Bulldog and Daytripper etc. It's all good

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1022879' date='Nov 13 2010, 03:43 PM']One of the first albums I ever heard was With the Beatles. As a small boy I picked up on the harmonies. It was only later on getting older that I picked up on those great basslines like on All My Loving for example. I own all the Beatles albums but don't play them very much. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan but I always admired them. The McCartney detractors don't seem to have sabotaged this thread in the way that most of you were worried about. When I first playing I got a book on McCartney and learnt Hey Bulldog and Daytripper etc. It's all good[/quote]

Incredible tunes on With the Beatles (Meet the Beatles in US)! We'd had about five years of Bobby Vee, Bobby Rydell, Bobby Vinton--a damn lot of Bobbys!--when the Beatles appeared and up-ended the whole thing. Incredible year, 1964!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='lojo' post='1016859' date='Nov 8 2010, 08:13 PM']Anyone who doesn't rate Sir Paul, should understand that he was producing and playing incredible lines back then, not against the backdrop of today, where there is 60 years of top players across many styles can be viewed and rewound at the click of a mouse, mp3s, DVDs, concerts on TV, lessons online

Back then most bands had to physically pass a single record from one person to the next just to learn a cover song

He may be easily over shadowed now and for sometime, but he was a major stepping stone in what we know today[/quote]

yep i couldnt agree more