Why become a member? ×

If you were upgrading a Squire....

bassatnight

Recently purchased a VM Squire Jazz for the princely sum of £150 of the bay, its a lovely version with no obvious issues and a lovely neck.

Just for something to do I decided to see how far I can upgrade it for as little money as poss, so far I have swapped the bridge with a Gotoh 201B which made an immidiate difference with the sustain and generally feel. I have added a pick up cover ala Marcus Miller.

I also intend to swap out the pups with some good high quality ones - I have looked at the Fender custom 60's which are around £100 also the silent version which is a little more but anyone got any advice as to the pups I should put in? looking for the best possible quality for around £100 or less. What else should I look at changing?

Ta,

Stevo

If you're looking to capitalise on the Marcus Miller 70's Jazz sound as well as looks then I'd avoid putting 60's style pickups in there and just opt out for some Dimarzio Ultra J's. I also happen to love Nordstrand NJ4SV's but they're a little pricy.

Edited by risingson

Cheers for the prompt responses guys, appreciate it.

I would love the Nordstrand's but hard to source here and as you say pricey, somone has some 75ri's pups on the bay but second hand may be dodgy.

I am convinced I can turn this Squire into a really good Jazz

[quote name='bassatnight' post='1003906' date='Oct 28 2010, 03:42 PM']I am convinced I can turn this Squire into a really good Jazz[/quote]

I'm certain you can. People put too much stock into believing their £3000 bass sounds £2950 better than a Squier, but I don't believe it for a second. Best of luck!

It will always depend on the individual bass. Sometimes a new bridge works wonders, sometimes new pickups. Could be a new nut, it might just be that a fresh set of quality strings transforms the bass. Work out what you think needs improving and go from there. Occasionally stock basses sound just great as they are

No wonder the BBC was checking if people can actually read!!!

[font="Century Gothic"][size=7]SQUIER[/size][/font]

Have a close look at how it's spelled on the headstock - you may actually get a surprise.

The name comes fro Austria originally. A string maker whom Fender bought out.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

Earlier this year I acquired a Squier Affinity Precision on long-term loan.

Swapped the tuners and a little cash for a better set (thanks Howard) and purchased a better condition BBOT bridge (cheers Dood) and gave it a set-up to my own tastes and it's a great budget bass. Certainly good enough to gig with in my originals band. The only fault I can pick is the paint finish (far from flat) but that doesn't take away from the playability and sound.

On the to do list is maybe a fret dress and a new pickup.

Another vote for Wizards. Cheap and very, very good.

I had a set of 74's in my CV Jazz and have just got a Thumper for my CV P. The 74's transformed my tone from a bit too mellow to something that had punch and growl by the bucket load.
For the money you cant go wrong, and if you dont like them you can easily sell them on here.

I had a set of Nordys in my Lakland DJ5 (a P and a J) and to be honest i didnt like them. Considering how much they cost i felt they sounded very bland to my ears. Then again, the bass sounded like that since the moment i got it with the Hansons in it so it might not have been the pups.

I`ve found, to my cost, that upgrading/swapping can sometimes not produce the required results.

The way I do it now is, if I`ve heard a specific sound, research the gear used, and then buy the same. I had a Fender Aerodyne Jazz, which I wanted to sound like Duff McKagans bass, so researched, got the same Seymour Duncan pickup, job done. No doubt I could have gone down the road of different brands/models, but this way is much easier, I find.

I spose though, if yr just not satisfied with what is there, but have no specifics requirements, try it and see is the way forward.