Why become a member? ×

70's Fenders...

bassjamm

[quote name='gafbass02' post='119111' date='Jan 12 2008, 01:14 PM']Im also considering a 70s fender at the mo, although it would really have to be a jazz, or possibly also a p with j pup, but i dont know where to look online for dealers tbh, anyone know good places?, i d love a jazz from 75-77 ish[/quote]

If Water of Tyne's still got his I'd contact him (I don't like Jazzes but even I was tempted to buy it). If not, ebay, unless you are prepared to part with a lot of cash for one at a dealer's. All the usual rules appliy: don't buy without seeing/playing first, if you don't know enought about vintage stuff to be sure that what you're buying is kosher, take with you someone who does etc etc.
Good luck
Chris

• 1 month later...

were I live Fenders tended to arrive in batches
so it is possible to play instruments that despite being , say 30 years old , have very close serial numbers.
4 years ago I got to play three '76 P Bass , less than a 100 digits apart and I think it would be a very brave player to say one year is better than another.

also the 1 I bought might be complete pants for the next player. The individual and the instruments "quirks" can seldom be quantified let alone compared to any definitive A/B system.

I think you have to play before you buy, unless the purchase is solely a financial "investment".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it's something to do with my early days of being in awe of 'real' basses (i.e. not poor copies), for when I see a jazz with block pearl inlays on a rosewood fretboard I go weak at the knees. Can anyone tell me when they were introduced and then dropped? Hope this isn't hijacking your thread, but I'm impressed with the respondents knowledge on Fenders.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='185058' date='Apr 25 2008, 08:51 AM']Perhaps it's something to do with my early days of being in awe of 'real' basses (i.e. not poor copies), for when I see a jazz with block pearl inlays on a rosewood fretboard I go weak at the knees. Can anyone tell me when they were introduced and then dropped? Hope this isn't hijacking your thread, but I'm impressed with the respondents knowledge on Fenders.[/quote]

Introduced in mid 1966 (you do see ones with bound necks & dots inlays from early '66) - there's a couple of famous pics of Paul McCartney & George Harrison playing a '66 Jazz with block inlays at Abbey Road.
Though the 'classic' Jazz basses with block pearl inlays on a rosewood fretboard & TV logo are from the late 60's / early 70's.
Discontinued? Still making them in various incarnations right up to the late 1980's I believe - then brought back in again as 're-issues'.

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='99ster' post='185066' date='Apr 25 2008, 09:13 AM']Introduced in mid 1966 (you do see ones with bound necks & dots inlays from early '66) - there's a couple of famous pics of Paul McCartney & George Harrison playing a '66 Jazz with block inlays at Abbey Road.
Though the 'classic' Jazz basses with block pearl inlays on a rosewood fretboard & TV logo are from the late 60's / early 70's.
Discontinued? Still making them in various incarnations right up to the late 1980's I believe - then brought back in again as 're-issues'.[/quote]
Cool, thanks. But what's a TV logo? :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='185523' date='Apr 25 2008, 07:15 PM']Here's some TV logos:

Introduced because they were easier to see on TV... apparently.[/quote]
Fender Pheremones are speaking to me ...from the one in the middle. Cold shower time for B2BM :)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='99ster' post='114147' date='Jan 5 2008, 05:42 PM']And I now wouldn't really recommend anything after 1974 if you're looking for a truly great 70's Fender.[/quote]

Aren't we getting away from the fact that fenders are a MACHINED body and neck held together with either 3 or 4 screws? Its not alchemy. The only variations are wood, Which being a natural substance varies greatly even within species. Fender are timber engineers who source wood for ease of supply and cost.
I own a 75 Jazz and a 78 Precision both of which are stunning instruments, yes I'm sure there are QC issues in some instruments in that decade but I've played dreadful Fenders in the last 10 years that wouldn't even deserve a squire decal. I would after years of exposure and experience with fenders would expect that if the neck and truss rod are in one piece, each bass has the potential to sound and play great.
Dave

• 1 month later...

H i Jamie!! i have a 77 Fender Jazz and it's awesome mate.I own a Modulus,Zon,Warwick Thumb, Carvin Etc! the Jazz is a weapon of choice for most projects i do so there is certainly great late 70's fenders out there,it sounds and plays lovely.i've had so many comments on it's sound from sound engineers.D

Just wondered what years were good years for Fender during the 70's? I'm going to save up for an old Fender. I've seen a '78 Precision that's in awesome condition, played it and it's sweet, but didn't know if the late 70's ones were any good or not? Ideally i'd like a Precision with a Jazz pickup in the bridge and a Jazz neck (block inlays)...but the P/J pickup thing is the most important!!!

Any advice on what years would be good for both Jazzes and Precisions, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Jamie
[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...

I think the issues with mid 70's to early 80's is simply that there were a lot more duffs that got through the QC net than previously. No-one is arguing that there are some great examples of basses from these eras, they're just harder to come by than pre '74 and post '85.

I agree that the basses are essentially wood and bolts, BUT from early '74 until the resale to the management in '85 they started to pick some pretty questionable wood. I've tried some mid 70's basses that I could barely pick up, let alone strap on for 2 hours....crazy heavy!

2 weeks ago I purchased WoT's 1973 Jazz from Hellrazor (Ed- who Micheal sold it to), and it's sublime, still finding out it's subtleties, but getting there after 5 gigs :)

Si

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='cd_david' post='240803' date='Jul 16 2008, 12:54 PM']Aren't we getting away from the fact that fenders are a MACHINED body and neck held together with either 3 or 4 screws? Its not alchemy. The only variations are wood[/quote]No, not quite.

Through the 70s, both the final shaping of the bodies became cruder, leaving them less deeply contoured and squarer-edged (and so heavier, even given the same density of wood, which did also generally get heavier), and the finish changed, becoming thicker, harder and also heavier. The late-70s 'Thick Skin' (Fender's own term) finish actually weighs a significant amount, as you will notice if you ever strip one to the wood!

The result of both these things is that the late-70s instruments are noticeably clumsier in shape and feel, on average, and usually harder and brighter sounding. You do get the odd good one but they become rarer the closer you get to 1981. The actual QUALITY didn't fall too badly in many ways, it's just that they were made 'wrong', without understanding what it was that players liked about the older ones.

What's hilarious is that these instruments (and 70s Gibsons for similar reasons) are what started the whole 'vintage' market by being so inferior to the old ones to most players, and now they are considered 'vintage' too, just because they're thirty years old! Although to be fair, they have usually improved a bit with age, and some of the more recent production wasn't exactly great either.

Edited by Thunderhead

[quote name='gareth' post='258847' date='Aug 9 2008, 02:45 PM']Good point.

The other thing to remember with 70's precisions is that grey bottom pick-ups were used throughout - so even less area for differences between early and late 70's precisions.

I've been lucky enough to try precisions from 73 to 81 - all have the grey bottom pups and all sound great, some of the later ones are 1-2 lbs heavier, I can't see much difference in the QC between them.

Probably when talking about 70's fenders, we should should differentiate between precisions and jazzes - personally I don't care for the 3 bolts, bullet truss rod 75 onwards jazzes - and this maybe is the real area where fender QC failed from the mid'70's on with loose fitting/unstable necks, etc[/quote]
I would avoid anything after 73 i dont like the three bolt necks, i remember them coming out and could feel the necks moving. I think also the weight started to creep up during that decade, not an issue with me but for some it could be. I have a jazz and a precision and love them both, :) fender made some good stuff you just have to look for it.

Thanks for an informative and fascinating thread. Today I have just collected my '73 Precision bass and the differences between this one and my '78 are enormous. They are two very different basses. Thunderhead wrote about the shape and thickness and I couldn't agree more. The '73 is smaller all round, almost 5mm thinner body depth at the strap button. Also the bass is far more contoured making it feel slimmer and lighter. The width at the nut is 40mm whereas the '78 is about 42mm. Not a lot really on paper but the difference in feel is very noticeable. The '78 is a bloody tank in comparison!

To be fair tho, the '78 isn't that heavy, its a great bass and the chunkier neck is more too my liking.

I own 5 Precisions now, the others being a '01 USA string through body jobbie (which is an excellent P-Bass). An '84 Squier and a Jap '62 reissue which has the widest 4 string neck I've ever played. All of which are great but all quite different.

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned a 1973 Telecaster bass and a 1977 Precision. The Precision was an amazing bass. Not heavy at all and fairly chunky but not too chunky. I felt part of it when I played it. However, it sounded bloody amazing. A really big rich sound. The 73 Telecaster bass on the other hand was the heaviest thing ever. The neck was super fat and everything just felt stiff and rigid. It sounded nice, fat but wooly which I guess is what it should be.

[quote name='lineboss58' post='313386' date='Oct 23 2008, 09:33 PM']I would avoid anything after 73 i dont like the three bolt necks, i remember them coming out and could feel the necks moving. I think also the weight started to creep up during that decade, not an issue with me but for some it could be. I have a jazz and a precision and love them both, :) fender made some good stuff you just have to look for it.[/quote]

I actually prefer the feel and sound of the late 70s basses and guitars. I also owned a couple of JV series squires in the very early eighties. The ones with the fender logo and squire written at the top of the headstock. one was a strat and the other was a precision and I have to say they were the two best fender instruments I ever played. I still kick myself to this day for selling them.

I don't really think there are any really good or bad fenders, just fenders that suit some one else or fenders that suit yourself. Or in some peoples case no Fenders that will ever suit them

I don't think there are good or bad years, but there are good and bad basses in every year and in some years Fender have produced more of one than the other!! But why bother to try harder when they all get sold anyway!
This discussion has been going on for 40 years! Even by the late 60's it was known that you had to be careful or you could buy a duff Fender bass. Everyone played them because they were better than the competition but even then pre-CBS Fenders were already sought after and pricey!

[quote name='Jebo1' post='114605' date='Jan 6 2008, 11:56 AM']BTW the best Precision I've seen for a long time is the one sold by Thunderthumbs. £800 for a 76 isn't too bad and should keep its value. If it plays as well as it looks, you're on to a winner![/quote]
Hey man......that's a nice compliment. The good news for me is I didn't actually sell it.....I decided against it in the end.

I take it out and gig it every now and again just to remind myself why I should keep it.

Edited by Thunderthumbs

• 2 months later...

I had a 79, rosewood fingerboard and block inlays Jazz Bass. She was awesome and i am so regretful to let her go. Also i had played 75 for a week, it was awesome too and and 75 has a thinner neck then 79, but i didn't get the same feelings as i don't feel comfortable with maple fingerboard as much as rosewood but it's my problem ;) anyway 70's Jazz Basses are great but i don't have any idea about 60's.

Edited by guven_caglar

• 3 weeks later...

I have a '77 jazz with a maple neck. I played hundreds Fenders throughout the years, owned a '78 which was my first bass but this one is soooo much better. In fact, when you lay a bass flat down on a table and play the string loose, you'll hear the difference immediately between a good bass and a bad one.
The '77 i have at the moment needed some adjustment because the neck wasn't mounted in the pocket 100% correctly,
but she was worth every cost.

Edited by leloupa

[quote name='chris_b' post='324705' date='Nov 8 2008, 10:36 AM']I don't think there are good or bad years, but there are good and bad basses in every year and in some years Fender have produced more of one than the other!! But why bother to try harder when they all get sold anyway!
This discussion has been going on for 40 years! Even by the late 60's it was known that you had to be careful or you could buy a duff Fender bass. Everyone played them because they were better than the competition but even then pre-CBS Fenders were already sought after and pricey![/quote]

Just been reading the 'Beatles Gear' book & it's very interesting that when they bought their first pair of Fender Strats in the mid 60's (1965 I think - the book's not in front of me now) - they didn't buy new Strats, but instead got a pair of pre-CBS early 60's ones.