Why become a member? ×

Crikey o'riley

Gust0o

Chaps.

I done goof'ed up good, in short. My spine is now a tender and gentle flower, and will be so for some time. Having played rugby for some years, I gave myself all the time in the world for an injury; and have now done so doing something totally innocuous, in keeping with sod's law.

The downside, my band are now getting to the stage of, well, playing. I had elected to play the T-bird fiver I picked up from Guzzi, but it's heavy. Or is to my spine, now. Short of sitting on stage I'm considering replacements.

I'm throwing it open to the floor. I have some prefered brands - BC Rich (but I doubt I'll find an Innovator, so scratch) and Charvel, but would like some additional options.

Looking for either active or passive. Something rock or metal oriented, without being silly; and, critically, light.

Any thoughts?

NB. I never thought back pain would be the source of such pain, but after a week of it - eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

With you mentioning Charvel....Academy of Sound have got a Charvel Star Bass in stock at a great price. I didn't find
it too heavy either (it's just the wrong shape for me.).

[url="http://www.theacademyofsound.co.uk/Bass_Guitars/Charvel_Star_Bass_Red_Maple_Fretboard"]http://www.theacademyofsound.co.uk/Bass_Gu...Maple_Fretboard[/url]

If you've got a big budget, then it's got to be a Status Streamline V. Maybe not the epitome of rawk, but it's light, comfortable, fast, balances well and doesn't impede your playing. Chuck in the fact that they sound superb and are difficult to damage and I reckon you're onto a winner.
Did I not see Guy Pratt pictured with one? I guess that's a pretty good endorsement of quality!

Budget c.£500, which I guess would also cover a strap!

GP confirmed me as a slipped disc. Apparently I've made a right mess, so I'm straight on physio and relegated to working from home.

The spasms are something f***ing else. I put a triple break in my right arm and still elbowed my way out of the remains of my car; one twinge of my spine and this former prop is winded with it.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='994426' date='Oct 20 2010, 08:59 AM']I recently had a go on a Squier bass, it said precision but it looked like a jazz neck and it had a jazz bridge pick up. A nice bass for (I think) £130 second hand but v good. I think they are £200 ish new. My only criticism was that it was too light![/quote]

Do you know which one you tried, Dom?

I'm definitely a fan of the Squiers.

I like the Star Bass, but it's a string shy of what I was after - that said, who'd notice with that on stage?

I've arranged to try and Ibby.

In the meantime, I am on painkillers.

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='994315' date='Oct 20 2010, 12:21 AM']Thought about a Bass Collection 5 string ?

Never tried a five one myself, but my old 4 string one feels like its made of Balsa Wood, bought it when I had back trouble and compared to my Precision it really is featherweight and not at all neck heavy.[/quote]

Good call, I have an SB330 and it's probably even lighter than my Ibanez was - Sen body looks like nice ash but doesn't weigh anything like as much. Lovely balance to both the SGC Nanyo bass collections and Ibanez SRs too, better than you're ever likely to get with a Squier IMO because of that big fat maple Fender-style headstock.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='992448' date='Oct 18 2010, 05:02 PM']Chaps.

I done goof'ed up good, in short. My spine is now a tender and gentle flower, and will be so for some time. Having played rugby for some years, I gave myself all the time in the world for an injury; and have now done so doing something totally innocuous, in keeping with sod's law.

The downside, my band are now getting to the stage of, well, playing. I had elected to play the T-bird fiver I picked up from Guzzi, but it's heavy. Or is to my spine, now. Short of sitting on stage I'm considering replacements.

I'm throwing it open to the floor. I have some prefered brands - BC Rich (but I doubt I'll find an Innovator, so scratch) and Charvel, but would like some additional options.

Looking for either active or passive. Something rock or metal oriented, without being silly; and, critically, light.

Any thoughts?

NB. I never thought back pain would be the source of such pain, but after a week of it - eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!![/quote]

[b]Doctor of the bass[/b] was round my flat recently and had a Vigier with him - weighs nothing - graphite neck (and body I think) - [b]pm him to discuss..[/b]