Why become a member? ×

Fed up with Markbass

Ukelele Salad

[quote name='fretmeister' post='992701' date='Oct 18 2010, 08:23 PM']I love my F1 head. It's ace.

It goes great with my TecAmp cab.[/quote]

Tecamp - good example of a company that offers multiple cabinets based around the same drivers, which appears to be the complaint here unless I'm missing something (their XS, S, M and L I Think?). The point with the Tecamps is that as you increase the size of the bass cab you increase the low frequency output of the cab, up to a certain point at least, even with an identical driver. I'm sure the larger MB 15" cab will have a noticeable increase at the bottom end compared to the NY but it's a trade-off v size and weight. Seems fair enough to me.

I can't see any problem with Markbass offering a wide choice of gear.

I love the sound of the Markbass cabs, all lovely sweet mids and the amps sound warm and, as we all know, very loud!

My little combo, the mini CMD121P is an amazing piece of gear although I've shifted on all my other Markbass cabs for various reasons. They all sounded great.

I fancy trying the new 2 x 12 too.

Frank.

I hear what you are saying about the fashion thang, but the punters like choice and lots of it.

I bought my SA450 4 years ago and it's actually grown on me a lot over time.

To start off with I was quite underwhelmed. I certainly didn't buy it for the way it looked! and the fan noise was irritating when recording.

I'm not a fan of the VPF and VLE filters and I think the eq layout is a bit daft.

So why do I still have it? I guess the main thing is that it's light, reliable and the power amp is clear, and powerful.

Because it was so clear it really showed up some failings in the preamp and pickup of my bass so I replaced them. I now mostly use the eq on the bass.

It has made me realise that I need to try and get a sound from my amp that's something close to how the DI signal will sound through the PA.

A lot of festival stages I play have an SVT rig which can be great if it's a good space but I often miss the clarity of the Markbass in situations where the stage sound isn't great.

A lot of manufacturers leave me feeling a little cold with their rapid release/withdrawal of products. It's probably just that I'm used to the relative inertia in bass technology that characterised the first twenty years or so I played, and reflects middle-aged conservatism on my part. I hate it when I buy something only to find it's superseded by another 'improved' version 6 months later.

And yes, Markbass gear never stacks well

C

[quote name='Ukelele Salad' post='992401' date='Oct 18 2010, 04:31 PM']Good, glad everyone isn't irritated by it!

Maybe it's the contrary Mary in me, but rapid range expansion and tailoring identical cabs to different boot dimensions smacks of an inability to commit to a design philosophy. If it's portable, make it small and light. If it isn't, make it huge and out of mammoth tusk, don't hedge your bets and cover everything. I want them to say "This! THIS is the cab for you! It's so good we've locked the designer inside his own ass so that if he tells anyone else how to make it they won't believe him! You cannot get a better cab. Fact " ... "what's that? A quadrilatrophobe? Oh, well how about this triangular version? No really, it's just as good, ignore my previous conviction."

Having said that my nord player just bought the cmd121p, so perhaps we [i]could[/i] get matching NY extensions..........hmmm[/quote]

More like they cant be arsed to do the product research so just flung a bunch into the market to see what does best and then they'll produce more of those.

[quote name='Ukelele Salad' post='992401' date='Oct 18 2010, 04:31 PM']I want them to say "This! THIS is the cab for you! It's so good we've locked the designer inside his own ass so that if he tells anyone else how to make it they won't believe him! You cannot get a better cab. Fact "[/quote]

That's what I wanted to say, and had I bothered to read the thread before posting, would have simply added a +1 to the above. Perfect sentiment US

C

[quote name='JDH' post='992903' date='Oct 18 2010, 10:53 PM']I personally look forward to the Mark Bass Road-Worn series and possibly a Vintage series, when I will gladly pay a 40% premium for a couple of concentric pots and an ash tray![/quote]
You know that has to be a smoked yellow crystal ashtray affixed to the top of the amp, complete with ash build up.

[quote name='Ukelele Salad' post='992401' date='Oct 18 2010, 04:31 PM']I want them to say "This! THIS is the cab for you! It's so good we've locked the designer inside his own ass so that if he tells anyone else how to make it they won't believe him! You cannot get a better cab. Fact[/quote]

Then buy a Bergantino....

[quote name='Beedster' post='992916' date='Oct 18 2010, 11:02 PM']A lot of manufacturers leave me feeling a little cold with their rapid release/withdrawal of products. It's probably just that I'm used to the relative inertia in bass technology that characterised the first twenty years or so I played, and reflects middle-aged conservatism on my part. I hate it when I buy something only to find it's superseded by another 'improved' version 6 months later.

And yes, Markbass gear never stacks well

C[/quote]

+1 Absolutely hate it when they release new gear straight after the previous one has got popular, (especially if its too soon eg 1 year).

Markbass are very expensive.

You know what they need to do?

Make a LM head that has ipod/aux in, a mute, and a few other extras (2 speakons), charge a little bit more, and it will FLY off the shelves.

The LM3 is fantastic. When I tried the F500, I was a little underwhelmed. Nice tight sound, just TOO small and not enougb room for those controls.

The general consensus seems to be: Markbass amps are great, the cabs are so-so. The NY122 is bloody great though.

I think their amps mixed with Aguilar GS/DB and Berg cabinets is the key.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Beedster' post='992916' date='Oct 18 2010, 11:02 PM']and reflects middle-aged conservatism on my part.[/quote]
Maybe that's it, it's just premature grumpy-old-bass-player syndrome! I need to get back in touch with my youth - I've mastered this interwebbing thing after all!

I hope Markbass continue to flourish, they do make a nice noise after all!

So the reason I started this thread is because I'm looking for an 8ohm cab to go under a cmd121p and got flummoxed by the MB range. Anyone recommend a cab? either 115 or 112 and portable...

[quote name='Ukelele Salad' post='993307' date='Oct 19 2010, 11:12 AM']sorry, i've already had some i see -

Bergantino, Aguillar, Berg,

any others? We have no shops in Bristol so I can't actually try any of them out![/quote]

Take the time to go to Bassdirect in Warwick - do not forget your credit card - yes it really IS worth it....

[quote name='Ukelele Salad' post='992224' date='Oct 18 2010, 02:19 PM']I don't know about you, but I never bought a cab on the strength of its stackability. In fact, the more uniform my gear the more of a douche I tend to feel.[/quote]

I couldn't go on stage with two cabs that have different widths. So, we're all different.

... having said that I also couldn't go on stage with Markbass cabs.