Why become a member? ×

YES

Hamster

I had the good fortune to walk to the end of my road last night to watch Rick Wakeman & Jon Anderson in concert at a pre-tour show. They were both excellent although it was just a duo with no band. They did a few Yes numbers and a couple of the Vangelis collaborations, but it's the Yes stuff I realise I'm still a big fan of.

I just had to look up a Yes video, and found this one. I can't remember if it was Chris Squire or Lemmy who I first saw playing a Rickenbacker. Two very different styles, but a very distinctive bass!.

Nice one, Hamster. Just what I needed. Now I need to go and play the rest of 'Close To The Edge'... :lol:
Meanwhile, here's a touch of the remastered video of Yes at QPR football ground.
Patrick Moraz on keys; Squire on that Jazz bass again (at least for this number).
Spot the...er...deliberate mistake!?! A great gig, nonetheless - I have to say that 'cos I was there. :)

Yes - Yours Is No Disgrace (QPR 1975)

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='982397' date='Oct 9 2010, 11:10 AM']........you were forced to listen to decent music.... :)[/quote]

:lol:

My 1st band started off doing Hawkwind, Sabbath etc then "progged" to Roundabout and All Good People.
Boy did I murder them, but I learned so much.

Fantastic music and memories, cheers Hamster.

Karl.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='982256' date='Oct 9 2010, 03:24 AM']Meanwhile, here's a touch of the remastered video of Yes at QPR football ground.
Patrick Moraz on keys; Squire on that Jazz bass again (at least for this number).
Spot the...er...deliberate mistake!?! A great gig, nonetheless - I have to say that 'cos I was there. :)

Yes - Yours Is No Disgrace (QPR 1975)
[/quote]

I was there too! Great gig. That month (May 75) I saw Yes at QPR, Led Zep at Earls Court and Rick Wakeman somewhere or other (Wembly Empire Pool (now the Arena)?? Heady days for a music-obsessed 15 year-old.

Mine was Madison Square Garden. We lived in New York for a couple of years when I was a teenager and friends of ours got free tickets because their dad worked for a bank, or something.

It was in the round with a revolving stage that broke down halfway through the set. Roadies then had to push it :)

The gig was great -- it's stuck in my head all these years.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='ezbass' post='989965' date='Oct 16 2010, 09:37 AM']Yes doing Paul Simon's America still remains one of my favourite songs ever. Chris Squire playing Bernstein's America riff under the section at 1:44 is inspired.

[/quote]

Wow !

Is this the version on the "Age of Atlantic" sampler ?

Did they ever release it any other way ?

Just in case ya don`t know, Rick is on Planet Rock digital radio on a saturday morning, 10am till 1pm along with David "Kidd" Jenson Inteceptor and Fiesty. A thousnad laughs and some decent tracks to boot!

[url="http://www.planetrock.com/"]http://www.planetrock.com/[/url]

Jez

[quote name='2pods' post='992785' date='Oct 18 2010, 09:25 PM']Wow !

Is this the version on the "Age of Atlantic" sampler ?

Did they ever release it any other way ?[/quote]Yesterdays. Or as we called it, "That pissing kid".

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterdays_(Yes_album)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterdays_(Yes_album)[/url]

[quote name='Davo-London' post='992887' date='Oct 18 2010, 10:41 PM']Relayer was the last Yes album that counts in my opinion.[/quote]

I've always felt the same. Not entirely sure why now :) . Similarly with Floyd, I still think that everything after Wish You Were Here is pretty rubbish. The Wall, in particular, is just embarrassing, in my humble opinion. I'm sure many will disagree.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='993233' date='Oct 19 2010, 10:06 AM']I've always felt the same. Not entirely sure why now :)[/quote]

Relayer's my favourite Yes album - and Going For The One counts as classic Yes as well. 90125 is a brilliant album, but it's not prog any more. After that it gets a bit patchy until Magnification.